Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Seeing people who "follow fashion trends" can sometimes be very interesting...even amusing.
I'll admit I don't like some of them, but I find it interesting never the less.
I've held onto old clothes I wore in the 70's...seems some have come back in fashion again...at least according to my adult children they have.
Personally I just wear what's comfortable..be it fashionable or not.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:34 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
The Kinks got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-JKWDC6fDs

Old 10-03-2018, 12:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Why do so many people follow fashion trends? Is it not one of the dumbest things to do? Oh, some freak in Los Angeles said that this is how I should dress for this year, so by all means this is how I am going to dress.
You obviously know nothing about fashion. The major forces are in New York and Paris and other similar cities.

Weather drives the fashion industry because weather requires clothing changes twice a year, and the fashion industry takes advantage of that.

Los Angeles? LOLOL! We don't even have weather in Los Angeles. While I suppose there is a fashion industry presence in LA (and in all large metropolitan areas) LA could hardly be regarded as a trend setter. There is the movie and music industry in Hollywood, and they are probably in league with the fashion industry (and other industries for e.g. product placement in films). But LA as a fashion center? Meh. You got the wrong city.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You obviously know nothing about fashion. The major forces are in New York and Paris and other similar cities.

Weather drives the fashion industry because weather requires clothing changes twice a year, and the fashion industry takes advantage of that.

Los Angeles? LOLOL! We don't even have weather in Los Angeles. While I suppose there is a fashion industry presence in LA (and in all large metropolitan areas) LA could hardly be regarded as a trend setter. There is the movie and music industry in Hollywood, and they are probably in league with the fashion industry (and other industries for e.g. product placement in films). But LA as a fashion center? Meh. You got the wrong city.
While the typical seasons are Spring and Fall, some higher end brands do more collections. While some do separate Summer and Winter collections, many brands instead now offer Pre-Fall and/or Resort/Cruise, with Pre-Fall typically being lighter weight clothes in fall colors that is typically released in May and Resort/Cruise typically being warm weather clothes for vacationers that is usually launched around November. Also, in menswear there is often is a "Holiday" collection, which are clothes typically in Christmas styles (although the term "Holiday" is sometimes used as a synonym for Resort/Cruise with some brands).

Old 10-03-2018, 08:34 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
The worst fashion trend ever is 'the Fashionably Late'

The Kinks had a fun time covering the range of fashion didn't they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WsmSgBRUe4

Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
While the typical seasons are Spring and Fall, some higher end brands do more collections.
Please excuse my rudeness. Upon re-reading my post it sounds snotty. I'm sorry.

I was merely quarreling with your using Los Angeles as part of the fashion design industry. We do have a garment district, I'm sure there are fashion houses here, but L.A. is not any kind of fashion center like New York or Paris. It appears to me that the fashion industry is seasonally driven, and we just don't have any seasons in L.A. to compare to N.Y. or Paris.

I've been reading your posts and they have been very informative. Keep up the good work!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:59 AM

4,231 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Please excuse my rudeness. Upon re-reading my post it sounds snotty. I'm sorry.

I was merely quarreling with your using Los Angeles as part of the fashion design industry. We do have a garment district, I'm sure there are fashion houses here, but L.A. is not any kind of fashion center like New York or Paris. It appears to me that the fashion industry is seasonally driven, and we just don't have any seasons in L.A. to compare to N.Y. or Paris.

I've been reading your posts and they have been very informative. Keep up the good work!
White LA is not typically part of the 'big four' (worldwide) it is usually listed as #5 or somewhere in the top 10. For the US it is certainly almost always listed as the #2 fashion city. Not that these titles mean that much, but in the industry it is almost always considered a fashion center.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
People get to spend their money the way they want. You choose to not spend money on the latest fashion trends. Others do. It's called freedom.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
For the US it is certainly almost always listed as the #2 fashion city.
I suspect that's because of Hollywood. Subtract Hollywood and IMO L.A. would be a 'meh' city.

I don't see much fashion at all in everyday life. Even work is mostly casual wear except at upper levels.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 AM

4,231 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
I suspect that's because of Hollywood. Subtract Hollywood and IMO L.A. would be a 'meh' city.

I don't see much fashion at all in everyday life. Even work is mostly casual wear except at upper levels.
interesting. i dont live there but ive visited a lot and in my opinion during those times, it is a very 'aesthetic' and superficial city.

But one of the other reasons it is considered a fashion center/capital is that it has some of the top/most famous design schools there. The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising being a big one there, but there are others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty