Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,974,528 times

Advertisements

Hey...is that nayema? How do you spell her handle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,785,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumchick34 View Post
There is nothing wrong with West African features! I am of West African descent and I always get compliments on my eye shape. A lot of West Africans have beautiful eye shapes as well as other features. I wouldn't change a thing about myself (well maybe my acne scarring lol). I figure if I were to get in a bad car accident and become disfigured, I would be wishing I looked like what I do now. So, it is hard for me to be unhappy with the way I look and spend a lot of time dwelling on it.

I sure hope this is a troll thread!
I thing she needs to stay out of the P and C thread and the relationship thread.

But think....this is America. West african features and dark skin are considered unattractive,even by some black maericans.
Did you grow up among Africans or other afrocentric areas(Harlem)
So I can see where she is coming from.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM

41 posts, read 58,222 times
I grew up in Minnesota around white people. I have light brown skin but I don't think that could be a reason why I get a lot of compliments.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,157,024 times
I'm going to answer this seriously. Right now I am bone on bone in my knees, and the pain is bad. My mother had bone cancer and the pain is unbelievable.

Knee replacement surgery -- you are given so many drugs until your bones heal.

Because it hurts so bad.

Bone pain is unlike any pain you can even imagine. It's near torture.

You do NOT want to do this for cosmetic reasons. A reputable surgeon WOULDN'T do it. If you find one that would -- RUN.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm going to answer this seriously. Right now I am bone on bone in my knees, and the pain is bad. My mother had bone cancer and the pain is unbelievable.

Knee replacement surgery -- you are given so many drugs until your bones heal.

Because it hurts so bad.

Bone pain is unlike any pain you can even imagine. It's near torture.

You do NOT want to do this for cosmetic reasons. A reputable surgeon WOULDN'T do it. If you find one that would -- RUN.

That's a really good point. Bone pain is the worst imaginable. I would never have anything done to my bones if I could help it, the pain gets better but it never feels as good as it did before the injury or the surgery.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM

1,100 posts, read 735,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Hey...is that nayema? How do you spell her handle?

nyanna

"Was" that nyanna?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,575,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
lol.....I wonder if they can make me have 4 legs.... lmbo! It'd be cool!

I always fancied Wings myself !! Who would not want to be able to fly ?! And perhaps they could also make me amphibious, giving me greater lung capacity and the ability to swim like a Dolphin.

I cannot fathom why anyone would seriously consider plastic surgery for anything other than serious deformities or disfigurement.

Someone mentions seeing a shrink , I think that has to be the only answer IMO, anyone who considers altering their bone structure because of poor self image or who cares enough what others may or may not think of her appearance has some far more serious issues than an esthetic qualitative judgement. I am constantly looking at African women thinking how beautiful they are and how beautiful their bone structure and there is someone who is thinking of going under the knife, risking life and limb, risk of severe infection ( potentially leading to DEATH) and disfigurement if it goes wrong... The mind boggles.

As someone who has had to spend far too much time in Hospital because of my health I find it almost offensive someone would be so vain as to volunteer themselves to go for surgery out of vanity.

I guess we never have what we want. I remember an Indian friend of mine pining after my red hair during High School when I thought her Blue Black almost iridescent lustrous locks were heaven ! What silly girls we were.

The things women and men do to make themselves feel less inadequate is truly sad and pathetic. How shallow and painfully vapid and so self obsessed. If only we tried to improve our minds and capacity for goodness quite as much and spent more time on our inner virtues.... What a waste.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM

41 posts, read 81,264 times
Don't women get cheekbone implants? Are high cheekbones considered attractive?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM

141 posts, read 425,228 times
I have high cheekbones and I wish I didn't, but I would never have surgery to change them. Loving yourself can be a struggle. I fight with it everyday. I try to remember that it is what's inside that counts!

I do not know what you look like Purple but I bet you are a beautiful woman.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 AM

8,737 posts, read 9,431,376 times
Guess this is wider spread than I ever imagined. Very sad, this isn't the community of blacks I'm accustomed to even though I know such self hatred exist. This isn't the majority of the AA community, so don't get it twisted, I am just sharing these clips to offer some perspective. Not excusing the thought process, just for you and me taking a look the stem.

Nigeria's booming skin bleaching market - YouTube

skin bleaching- Tyra Show - YouTube

Same show, but a different part that should be seen
This is so unbelievable I had to share it, does help explain some peoples psyches.

Tyra- Black Women Caught Bleaching Her and Kid's Skin (Part2) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty