U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, it was considered extremely tacky to ever have your bra straps showing. I am 41. I am also a full time student attending college with a more traditional college-age population so I am around lots of women aged 18 to 22. I have noticed that this doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore at all. I see bra straps all the time when someone is wearing a spaghetti strap top, or a top that criss crosses or is a racer back, etc.

What do y'all think?

I live in a very hot climate and as it warms up, like it is doing now, I definitely want to wear as little as possible. This means sundresses and tank tops and such and I am really annoyed by all the clothing out there that is made in such a way that there is no way to hide the bra straps. Especially when the clothing is made in a larger size. Why on earth would they make something in an XL or 14/16 and then make it so that it can't be worn with a regular bra without the bra showing!? Dumb.

I am wondering if it's even worth bothering to care about anymore. Before anyone brings it up I will mention that i am pretty busty (DD) and it's difficult for me to find strapless bras that are comfortable and do the job they were meant to do. I will wear them for a special occasion and for a short period but it's not realistic for all day wear for me. I have had bras before with those clear straps but they are awful to wear all day (comfort wise) plus, they are still noticeable so I don't see the point.

Is a visible bra strap no longer the "no no" that it once was? I am starting to just say screw it, when it gets hot here.. it's hard to care and no one else seems to, especially if your bra isn't dingy or ratty looking... yes? no? I'm talking about every day casual wear here, NOT office situations or going out for the evening, but going to class, the grocery store, that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Personally, I think it looks tacky. And even worse when you are older. I don't think that it is attractive or sexy. Yes, it is hot. But, really, do you need to show bra straps to be cool,? I don't think so. There are nice, classy looking tank tops that allow for a real bra, I bought several on Amazon the other day, on sale. Same with a sundress.

You are not 19, and it sounds like you have a fairly large bust. I think you are better off going the classy route. This is school, they do have air conditioning. Yes, walking around a college campus is hot in the summer, wear sandals and a tank top with shorts.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
First, I want to refer you here. But you're around this forum enough, you've probably seen plenty of rants on fit and have decided where you stand on the matter.

Second, I don't think visible bra straps is ever ideal. Like, I don't think anyone picks out a top and says "This is cute, but would be so much cuter if my straps were showing." But I also don't think visible straps are always a huge faux pas. I think it's a case by case evaluation, but if the straps are thin and colorful or maybe not so thin but have some sort of pretty adornments that work with the outfit, then it's fine.

But it's always casual, always youthful (and not necessarily in a good way), and is something that should be avoided unless there's no way around it.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 PM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Some younger people are clueless. I once watched a show in which a high school aged girl bought a strapless gown for a prom and her mother had to tell her that you aren't supposed to wear a regular bra with it....She really didn't know any better.
I will admit that the new trend to not care about straps showing has caused me to have a lot less anxiety about it. I have a few tops I would have had to buy new underwear for, but I just roll with what I have now.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:41 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
I think it looks stupid like they don't know how to buy underwear.LOL

Put thicker straps on your clothing. Spaghetti straps are really just non functional for carting around books and bending over etc anyway. Especially if you are busty.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
When I was growing up, it was considered extremely tacky to ever have your bra straps showing. I am 41. I am also a full time student attending college with a more traditional college-age population so I am around lots of women aged 18 to 22. I have noticed that this doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore at all. I see bra straps all the time when someone is wearing a spaghetti strap top, or a top that criss crosses or is a racer back, etc.

What do y'all think?

I live in a very hot climate and as it warms up, like it is doing now, I definitely want to wear as little as possible. This means sundresses and tank tops and such and I am really annoyed by all the clothing out there that is made in such a way that there is no way to hide the bra straps. Especially when the clothing is made in a larger size. Why on earth would they make something in an XL or 14/16 and then make it so that it can't be worn with a regular bra without the bra showing!? Dumb.

I am wondering if it's even worth bothering to care about anymore. Before anyone brings it up I will mention that i am pretty busty (DD) and it's difficult for me to find strapless bras that are comfortable and do the job they were meant to do. I will wear them for a special occasion and for a short period but it's not realistic for all day wear for me. I have had bras before with those clear straps but they are awful to wear all day (comfort wise) plus, they are still noticeable so I don't see the point.

Is a visible bra strap no longer the "no no" that it once was? I am starting to just say screw it, when it gets hot here.. it's hard to care and no one else seems to, especially if your bra isn't dingy or ratty looking... yes? no? I'm talking about every day casual wear here, NOT office situations or going out for the evening, but going to class, the grocery store, that sort of thing.
There appears to be a huge difference between exposing your straps as an act of fashion and looking slovenly and unkempt. Mostly it has to do with how old you are and how much you weigh.

Personally, I think it looks awful and you don't see upscale, mature women doing it. It's a trend, like these god-awful tattoos and facial piercings that young, inexperienced people glom onto because they feel it makes them look cook and hip, which just the opposite is true.

As an older, "ample" person myself I prefer to take the high road and cover up my undergarments in public. Not only does it make me look much more respectable and "classy" but I don't have to worry about exposing too much flesh and constantly fiddling with my clothes. I have more important things to do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Forget the straps, how about 1/2 of the cup showing in front? It's just all tacky beyond words! Or trashy or skanky or whatever.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Eh. I grew up on the coast on CA and I guess I never really noticed or cared if people's bra straps were showing. Sometimes, it can even look pretty neat if they have a neon colored bra with a black tanktop and the straps add contrast to the outfit.

I don't wear tanktops or summer dresses so I don't really worry about it myself.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM

17,157 posts, read 22,161,261 times
yep,,,its tacky- just take the bras off!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
In general, bra straps are tacky to show. If you want to wear spaghetti straps, or strapless, or skinny straps, I think you should either a) have the bust for it and wear a skimpy bandeau bra if the shirt/dress is see-through, or b) wear a proper supportive strapless bra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty