Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Shower, Soap Up, Wash Off, Get Clean?
I use a washcloth, loofah, or some bathing implement. 73 53.28%
I use my damn hands like nature intended. 60 43.80%
Other - I'll elaborate below. 4 2.92%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times

Advertisements

Sea Sponge with whatever shower specific soap I have at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
This might seem like a dumb question, but how do people clean and remove soap from the unmentionable openings if they only use their hands when washing their bodies? I'm honestly not trying to be a wise a, I wash every crevice and opening when I'm in the shower using my wash cloth, I've used, at one time, some all of the other items mentioned, but always return to wash cloths, still have brushes and scrungies hanging in the shower. After I finish cleaning my body, I reapply body wash, sometimes adding vinegar to my cloth to clean and rinse it for the next usage.

Last edited by TRosa; 04-29-2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I prefer to use my hands with a good antibacterial soft soap. I shower twice a day and scrub from head to toe after work. I work in a hospital and scrub up to my elbows after my shift and like to wash my hair after work. Using my hands kills more germs. Sponges trap bacteria and dead skin. I would only use them once and throw them away which would be very expensive. I haven't had even a cold for over a year now and managed to keep from getting the flu when John was sick last winter.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
I was recently a guest at a friend's home. Come bath time, I asked for a wash cloth. He looked at me as if I'd just requested a pigeon-toed albino alligator.
Completely confused and blind-sighted by my request.

Apparently my buddy showers with his two hands and a bar of soap, like an old-timey cowboy. If he's dating a woman at the moment, he'll borrow her fruity body wash for a treat.

Personally I can't effectively slough off dead skin cells & funk without a wash cloth, loofah, some foreign friction... ya dig.

Not sure if it's a gender, generational, race or cultural thing. Maybe my family was into washcloths & his wasn't; however you were raised is how you groom.

What say you?
I say there is such a thing as being "to" clean.

Nature provides us with skin oils and dead skin cells to act as a barrier against all sorts of bud guy germs. Removing the top layer of oils will still leave plenty of cells & oils to keep the barrier intact. Those that scrub their skin raw are courting a breach in that barrier that will allow all sort of bad guys a chance to get into the blood stream.

Discovery Health "Is squeaky clean true for skin?"

Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM

40 posts, read 44,767 times
Cloth or Loofah! I would feel so 'unclean' with just my bare hands!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Haha are you black? I recall a comedian talking about how white people use bare hands and black people use a washcloth. I once visited someone and had the same puzzled look when I asked about a washcloth. (I know use those bath sponge deals).
See segment staring at about 6:45 in the following clip:

Trading Spouses - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
This might seem like a dumb question, but how do people clean and remove soap from the unmentionable openings if they only use their hands when washing their bodies? I'm honestly not trying to be a wise a, I wash every crevice and opening when I'm in the shower using my wash cloth, I've used, at one time, some all of the other items mentioned, but always return to wash cloths, still have brushes and scrungies hanging in the shower. After I finish cleaning my body, I reapply body wash, sometimes adding vinegar to my cloth to clean and rinse it for the next usage.
I was wondering the same thing. I would like to know how someone cleans the "unmentionables" with a loofah!

Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
This might seem like a dumb question, but how do people clean and remove soap from the unmentionable openings if they only use their hands when washing their bodies?.
Hand shower. That's the best thing as far as hygiene is concerned, perfect for "unmentionables", hair, and any "nook and cranny"of your body! And great to clean the tub/shower too!
I don't use washclothes or sponges or anything, though you wash them they may gather bacteria etc. I only use my hands. And of course, a hand shower to wet my body and rinse it. I feel dirty when I just wash with a regular shower head (no choice when I'm away from home, though).

Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I'm actually pretty particular about what I use when I shower. I have a nice citrusy body wash that I start out with and that goes on with a loofah, then I use a sea sponge to exfoliate the rougher spots (elbows, knees, ankles etc.) and then I use a sea salt scrub on my tattoos. Depending on if I take my shower in the morning or the evening, I use grapefruit face scrub in the AM, and Burt's Bees face cleanser in the evenings. Then, right before I get out, I use a primrose bar soap all over with the loofah and then I'm done.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Hand shower. That's the best thing as far as hygiene is concerned, perfect for "unmentionables", hair, and any "nook and cranny"of your body! And great to clean the tub/shower too!
I don't use washclothes or sponges or anything, though you wash them they may gather bacteria etc. I only use my hands. And of course, a hand shower to wet my body and rinse it. I feel dirty when I just wash with a regular shower head (no choice when I'm away from home, though).
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how a shower is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty