Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times

Advertisements

I've noticed recently that the hair on my body has changed and I'm not sure if it's a normal part of getting older or not.

My arm hair has become different lately. I'm not quite sure when it started but I just noticed it a few months ago. I used to have slightly dark, fairly long hairs on my arms but now the hairs are much shorter and so light that you can only see them when looking closely.
The hair on my legs have changed too. Basically there is much less of it. While I used to have pretty normal hair growth on my legs they are now about 60-70% hairless below the knees. I used to have a little bit of hair on my thighs but not anymore. The back and outer sides of my legs are hairless and where I still do have hair the hairs are much farther apart.
My pubic hair also seem to have gotten thinner.

Has anyone else had this experience when reaching your mid 30's or so? Things do change as you get older but I'm not sure if this is one of those.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
No idea if you are a man or woman but that likely makes no difference.
Hair growth changes each day, diet, climate, emotion can influence change.
I have found with age hair grows in the most unusual places now. On the ear lobe, side of the nose - outside.

My sister lost her hair when she started puberty, she had the typical bright blond hair women love. It all fell out in a matter of a few months. Her hair grew back a few years later into more light brunette but coarse hair where before her hair was fine and silky. She is 51 now with a full head of hair starting to get grey.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Do you wax? That can happen from waxing for years. In family members that usually happened after or during menopause or was tied into a thyroid disorder.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
I'm a woman and no, I don't wax. Just shave. I don't have any weird hair growth popping up in different places. That would be bothersome but not worrisome since that's pretty normal, although maybe not at 34. But everyone is different. But is it normal to lose hair on your legs out of nowhere?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
If you are on any meds I would check out the side effects and ask females in your family if they had the same experience. The only thing that changed mine so far was waxing. With the thyroid people in my family the hair on their head thinned just a bit but nothing extreme. They didn't let it go though. They had other symptoms and got on meds for it. A check up couldn't hurt.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
I couldn't grow a decent beard until I was in my mid 40s. I was so surprised when I grew one as every other attempt was really pathetic. I have had one for over 10 years now.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,149 times
I'm 36/f and so far I'm as hairy as I was at 16. My father did lose a lot of his leg hair as you mentioned, but he's over 60 and was recently diagnosed with PAD. I'd hope that's not what you're dealing with!

Might not hurt to check w/a doc just to make sure.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Yep! you begin to lose hair as you get older, I would almost be willing to bet that your menopause time will come a little earlier than some of your friends. By the time you get into your late 60s or 70s, you will have little on your legs and arms.

If you know any elderly women, look at their arms. You probably will see very little hair.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Totally normal aging. My leg hair gets less and less every year and I'm not even 40 yet.

I used to shave up to about half-way up my thigh. Throughout my late 20s and 30s the hair line got lower and lower. Now I only need to shave the front of each calf - no hair at all above that or on the back of my leg.

My mom's leg hair stopped growing entirely after 45. She only needs razors for her armpits.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:43 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,237 times
Lightbulb sounds like age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I've noticed recently that the hair on my body has changed . . . it's a normal part of getting older . . . now the hairs are much shorter and so light . . . Basically there is much less of it. . . .
Hair thickness and color both change with age. Hair grows slower, becomes lighter (less pigment), and often becomes thinner. Like other things, some follicles "wear out" and stop producing new hairs.

Other things, like wearing jeans, can also constantly break hairs off at the surface. Some guys that always wear jeans end up with bald knees and thighs even though they have hairy calves.

Since your hair loss has been gradual, it is probably just related to age. You should see your doctor; however, if you notice any sudden change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty