Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,242,948 times

Advertisements

Last week I was shopping in Chicago--about 250 miles or so away from my home. This morning I pulled a new shirt off the hanger to wear, and the darn security tag is still on it! I did notice a beep when I left the store (actually I noticed it when leaving a couple of stores) and thought nothing of it. How I managed to pack the shirt, hang it up at home, (even try it on again yesterday) without noticing the tag I can't explain.

That store doesn't exist here and taking it back is not really an option. Anyone have a trick for getting it off without destroying the cute new shirt? I don't think it's the kind with ink in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 05:10 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,159,147 times
Call some stores in your local area & tell them what happened. One of them will surely be willing to remove the tag.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,920,199 times
Also be prepared to go to a couple of stores...each type of security tag is different. You may want to have your receipt on hand before you go to the stores with your item.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,342,193 times
It's a manget locking device. I'd get a magnet or two and start fiddlin with it

Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 PM

800 posts, read 4,288,039 times
I have a couple of pairs of shoes that do that!

They were desensitized too when I bought them...arggh!

I also set off those detectors when I don't have those said shoes on...I think it's my cell phone...weird...ugh!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,920,199 times
You would need a pretty strong magnet (and one thats bolted down for leverage). But fiddling with it, yourself, will probably cause more damage to the fabric. Take it to the store, I'd say.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Whatever you decide on doing to fix it, keep us posted Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,242,948 times
Well, I did an internet search for some tips for removing it myself. I found some, but thought I would try a couple of stores first and see if they could help me. (The instructions involved drills and ink tags and things I didn't want to tackle. I did try playing around with a couple of small magnets and twisting it, but didn't want to ruin the blouse.) I recalled the tag had beeped when I left a department store in Chicago so I went to the MUCH smaller version here. The first clerk said they didn't use that type of tag but suggested I try another department. She thought they might have one there. (Thank goodness for a long time employee that knew her store.) Lucky me! They did have one in the other department and were able to remove it for me. The clerk in that department didn't even know why they had the device since they didn't use those tags. Problem solved, and I can wear the new shirt today!

Lesson learned--on out of town shopping trips triple check that all tags are gone!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:56 AM

Hurray!

I don't know how many pretty tops I've ruined by ripping even just the plastic little price tags off when I get home in a hurry.. I need to be more patient.

Good for you for saving it! I woulda been paranoid that the store would try to pull a "you didn't buy this you're just tryin to steeeeeeal it!" thing on me and not let me keep my pretty top I guess that's what they made reciepts for... which I should also start keeping. hah!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 PM

312 posts, read 1,635,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I did notice a beep when I left the store (actually I noticed it when leaving a couple of stores) and thought nothing of it.
I work in retail and so many people just keep on walking out the door. If the alarm goes off when you walk out, it's worth it to go back to the counter and have them double check your items.

Glad you were able to get the senors off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty