Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:55 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not annoying. I feel sad for them, though. I'm old fashioned so I don't understand why someone would muilate themselves this way. To me, it seems like self hatred. Like I said, I'm older, so I don't get it.
Aw, it's so nice to know that there are people out there feeling sad for us poor unfortunates. Thank you so much for caring- Some people might say you sound superior and condescending, but I for one am grateful to have people like you who know so much better to feel sorry for me and my life choices.

And here I thought I was a happy, well-adjusted individual... I'll immediately start looking for a good shrink to find out more about this self-hatred I must have! Bless!

Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
I don't devote much time and energy thinking about it. That being said, I think it's one of those things that is conformity masquerading as individual expression. The art is almost always heinous and winds up looking like a skin disease in a few years. It's kind of like a leisure suit you can never take off again. But annoying? No.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Aw, it's so nice to know that there are people out there feeling sad for us poor unfortunates. Thank you so much for caring- Some people might say you sound superior and condescending, but I for one am grateful to have people like you who know so much better to feel sorry for me and my life choices.

And here I thought I was a happy, well-adjusted individual... I'll immediately start looking for a good shrink to find out more about this self-hatred I must have! Bless!
Or maybe the truth hurts?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Or maybe the truth hurts?
Oh yes, that must be it! My whole good, comfortable, educated, successful, happy life must all be a lie because I have tattoos!!!!

Old 04-18-2017, 02:57 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Not annoying. I feel sad for them, though. I'm old fashioned so I don't understand why someone would muilate themselves this way. To me, it seems like self hatred. Like I said, I'm older, so I don't get it.
You are right, you are old and don't get it. But thanks for feeling sorry for us.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
I started getting tattoos a few years ago because I was in my 60s, AND:

I realized I would never have a career change working for Merrill-Lynch.

I realized I got this far without getting on the FBI's 10 most wanted list and that would probably NOT happen this late in the game.

So why not?

Don in Austin

Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's exactly why most people get ordinarily-visible tattoos, because they're hoping they will offend and annoy those who dislike them. It's a sign of immaturity and if those self-desecrators ever do become functional adults, they will regret what they did to themselves, but rarely admit it.
yes i hope i offend you with my bible verse and my BDSM tat.... or just dont look at my wrists.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
I was at the beach this morning and tattoos were everywhere. The only person that stood out looked Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man. There wasn't an empty space on him other than his face. That was a lot of ink.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I usually enjoy the experience when I see someone with an interesting appearance.
There is a man who occasionally comes to my church whose entire head is tattooed. I love to sit behind him.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
You are right, you are old and don't get it. But thanks for feeling sorry for us.
Hey, wait, I'm old, too, and I get it. I got my first tattoo in October, just above the elbow. My daughter got the same one at the same time. It's something that has meaning to us as a mother and daughter. I don't intend to get a "sleeve", but I am thinking about getting the Chi-Rho above it.

She has a number of tattoos, but they are planned as a cohesive whole of things with spiritual meaning. On her forearm she has in Chinese characters the idiom sai weng shi ma. This comes from a Chinese proverb about blessings in disguise and the reverse, (misfortune begets fortune and fortune begets misfortune, and this goes on throughout life) which has a great deal of meaning for her.

She's working on her Ph.D in Mandarin with the goal of developing a better method to teach monolingual English speakers the language. Yes, I'm sure that to a segment of the population, this is a worthless endeavor because everyone on the planet should just learn to speak English, but hey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty