U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times

Advertisements

Not having purchased a new suit for a couple of years the wife and I headed over to the Mall to see if there was anything of interest. What I found was entire men's sections swamped with "slim fit" dress shirts and suits. I'm 6' 185-190lbs with a 32" waist and a 15 1/2 neck, which translates into a 42 regular, so I don't think that I qualify for "America's Biggest Loser," but when it came to trying on these "slim fit" suits and shirts I might as well have been Louie Anderson. What forms are these designers using? Certainly not one's that approximate the bodies of even this anything but obese American male!

When I spoke to one of the salesmen about it, he had the same questions that I had. And while there were enough suits and shirts by designers like Jones of New York, Michael Kors, Andrew Fezza (my normal go to guy) Ralph Lauren (who clothes I despise) at least a 2/3rds of the store was filled with "slim fit" clothing. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,430,462 times
I think a lot of the "slim" look has to do with the whole Mad Men phenomena and the rise of #menswear among Gen Y's. Let's face it, middle-aged & older guys have grown accustomed to biz casual baggy chinos and loose-fitting DKNY dress shirts/RL polo shirts during the past 20 yrs and no longer have any desire to dress up. The demand for suits & formal-wear is actually being driven by younger cats in their early 30's down to college kiddies.

I read a blurb in a Mr Porter catalog (the high-end London habberdasher) saying that the avg. age of their customer is like 36!! And we're talking about clothing items that are priced like Sak's or Barney's. In fact you can bet that the rising popularity of J. Crew and revival of Brooks Brothers is directly attributed to the buying power of the next generation. Gen Y's have the numbers to start & reinforce trends, and they often do just that because they view themselves as unique, as harbingers of the Internet age. They're able to harness the web via pinterests, tumblr's, twitter feeds, forums, dressed.so's, lookbook's etc to make their fashion views known. Gen X-er's and Baby-Boomers just can't compete in the social media sphere & thus their voices are drowned out by a deluge of fedoras, skinny selvege, desert boots, pocket squares & all kinds of sprezzy affectations that keep these young hipsters lookin crispy.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM

72,752 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Where do you live, ovcatto? If you're in Seattle or the Bay Area, find a guy in Chinatown/International district who can take your measurements and order a suit from Hong Kong. It's pretty cost-effective and convenient in the long run, and you get an extra pair of pants thrown into the deal.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,599,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not having purchased a new suit for a couple of years the wife and I headed over to the Mall to see if there was anything of interest. What I found was entire men's sections swamped with "slim fit" dress shirts and suits. I'm 6' 185-190lbs with a 32" waist and a 15 1/2 neck, which translates into a 42 regular, so I don't think that I qualify for "America's Biggest Loser," but when it came to trying on these "slim fit" suits and shirts I might as well have been Louie Anderson. What forms are these designers using? Certainly not one's that approximate the bodies of even this anything but obese American male!

When I spoke to one of the salesmen about it, he had the same questions that I had. And while there were enough suits and shirts by designers like Jones of New York, Michael Kors, Andrew Fezza (my normal go to guy) Ralph Lauren (who clothes I despise) at least a 2/3rds of the store was filled with "slim fit" clothing. What gives?
It cannot be as bad as 'skinny' fit jeans (which are like womens jeans on men and those slim fit capri style khaki shorts that taper and hit right below the knee..

actually many of those dress shirts fit well. Dress shirts that are labelled as 'classic fit' or 'modern fit' feel like parachutes.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I think a lot of the "slim" look has to do with the whole Mad Men phenomena and the rise of #menswear among Gen Y's. Let's face it, middle-aged & older guys have grown accustomed to biz casual baggy chinos and loose-fitting DKNY dress shirts/RL polo shirts during the past 20 yrs and no longer have any desire to dress up. The demand for suits & formal-wear is actually being driven by younger cats in their early 30's down to college kiddies.
I have no doubt that the Mad Men thing is the driving force behind the resurgence of fitted suits, skinny lapels and no pleats on the pants.

Quote:
I read a blurb in a Mr Porter catalog (the high-end London habberdasher) saying that the avg. age of their customer is like 36!! And we're talking about clothing items that are priced like Sak's or Barney's.
All that may be true the but average American male isn't a freaking anorexic euro-boy toy. This is the U.S. and there is a definite shortage of waif thin males of any age. So, I'm wondering who are suppose to be buying this stuff.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
It cannot be as bad as 'skinny' fit jeans (which are like womens jeans on men and those slim fit capri style khaki shorts that taper and hit right below the knee.
You're right, noting could be that bad. I have no intention of walking around like some band member of a 80's metal band.

Quote:
Dress shirts that are labelled as 'classic fit' or 'modern fit' feel like parachutes.
If that is the case, I need to drop my gym membership because I can barely button a slim fit even though the label says that it is the right neck size.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you live, ovcatto? If you're in Seattle or the Bay Area, find a guy in Chinatown/International district who can take your measurements and order a suit from Hong Kong. It's pretty cost-effective and convenient in the long run, and you get an extra pair of pants thrown into the deal.
I'll remember that but I found two suits that i liked.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 PM

555 posts, read 1,051,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
All that may be true the but average American male isn't a freaking anorexic euro-boy toy. This is the U.S. and there is a definite shortage of waif thin males of any age. So, I'm wondering who are suppose to be buying this stuff.
Metrosexual guys that have the build of a male model?

Know that whole thing about the media only putting skinny women on magazine covers, TV shows, etc., and how it warps the average woman's body image? Well those sort of unrealistic portrayals of body types go both ways.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,807,296 times
I notice the complete opposite. Everything is made for heavier guys. I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs so it's been hard for me to find reasonably priced clothes that fit clothes that fit. If I find something cheap, it usually requires extensive alterations to avoid looking like a boy wearing his dad's clothes. The slim fit pants and shirts have been a godsend. Banana, JCrew even Macy's now have clothes that fit me well off the rack.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
Slim fit is not for the thicker athletic build. Women have been dealing with the various cuts for years. Welcome to our world dude.

You may have a slim waist but your chest/shoulders are not by the sounds of it. I laugh at the s.o. in regular cuts. They look like burlap sacks. You don't have to look like an anorexic boy toy, some people just have smaller frames. If you are used to the looser fit those slim fits will feel odd. To make it work you usually go up a size or find something that stretches a bit. A lot of those slim shirts come in fabrics that have a bit of give compared to the classic style of fabric in your typical oxford dress shirt. Even slim guys with really wide shoulder frames don't usually fit in a lot of slim cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty