Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 PM

265 posts, read 534,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oops sorry typo.
On bus is OK, the catalogue one with the hood is really ugly, I think.
Oh ok, no worries, thanks for the feedback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:04 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Why just these 3? I was going to say they're all boring, until I saw the last one. The last one is nice and a little more contemporary and stylish.

If you're considering buying a fur coat, I'd suggest you go to several fur salons and try different furs, different styles. Also look for consignment fur stores. There are consignment stores that specialize in used furs, and they have a terrific selection, and unbeatable prices. You'll learn about cut, shaping, etc. Some furs have a natural pattern on them, and a good furrier will sew the skins together in a way that will not only make a dramatic look, but also a figure-flattering cut to the coat. Big bulky coats, like #1, aren't flattering. Take your time to really acquaint yourself with the market before you begin to think of buying. Don't buy a white mink, they tend to yellow over time.

Anchorage in the summer is a great place to shop for furs. Everything is 50%-70% discounted. In general, always shop off-season for better prices if you're buying new.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
You've been asking the same question for a couple years now. Are you going to actually buy the fur coat or just hope for a consensus on what you want to hear?

You've wanted one for two years. You don't need our opinions. Just buy one already—or even another one.

It's spring. We're thinking sundresses, and sandals, not coats.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why just these 3? I was going to say they're all boring, until I saw the last one. The last one is nice and a little more contemporary and stylish.

If you're considering buying a fur coat, I'd suggest you go to several fur salons and try different furs, different styles. Also look for consignment fur stores. There are consignment stores that specialize in used furs, and they have a terrific selection, and unbeatable prices. You'll learn about cut, shaping, etc. Some furs have a natural pattern on them, and a good furrier will sew the skins together in a way that will not only make a dramatic look, but also a figure-flattering cut to the coat. Big bulky coats, like #1, aren't flattering. Take your time to really acquaint yourself with the market before you begin to think of buying. Don't buy a white mink, they tend to yellow over time.

Anchorage in the summer is a great place to shop for furs. Everything is 50%-70% discounted. In general, always shop off-season for better prices if you're buying new.
Ruth-thanks a ot for the info. 50-70%?! I'm in! Will def have to acquaint myself i just have little etra time out of school and work to go in a bunch of stores. I think i'll go with the 3rd coat as well. Thanks for the feedback! Best

Old 05-19-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
You've been asking the same question for a couple years now. Are you going to actually buy the fur coat or just hope for a consensus on what you want to hear?

You've wanted one for two years. You don't need our opinions. Just buy one already—or even another one.

It's spring. We're thinking sundresses, and sandals, not coats.
That's true. I have bought 2 already--(one faux, one real) ended up returning the real and rarely wear the faux as pretty as it is i often feel gaudy and conspicuous wearing it. That's why i like to ask for opinions because I admit I;m an 'impulsive' shopper and have fickle tendencies--one minute i'll love something, but than the more i look at it or even wear it my interest wanes. But yea, should be on to dresses and sandals at this point. Blahh

Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
If you could own just one of these 3 furs , which would you choose and why?
None. They're all hideous.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
None, isn't fur outdated and didn't wearing fur coats go out many years ago? I have not seen anyone actually wear a fur coat unless it was on a much older tv show or movie from many years ago. None of them look that pretty in my opinion, you can find a much prettier jacket then those i'm sure.
I equate real fur with my mother's generation - more of a 1940s-1960s thing. I haven't seen one in public in decades. My mother wore hers to the grocery store once when I was a kid and I wanted to stay two aisles away from her, she looked so pretentious.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Russians in the US wear furs when there's a snowstorm. I've also seen American women in resort towns like Santa Fe and Aspen wear them. I bet there are people in NYC who wear them in winter. If not during the daytime, to the opera or other more formal occasions.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Russians in the US wear furs when there's a snowstorm. I've also seen American women in resort towns like Santa Fe and Aspen wear them. I bet there are people in NYC who wear them in winter. If not during the daytime, to the opera or other more formal occasions.
My Dad used to say (my parents lived in South Florida) "as soon as the temperature drops below 65 degrees in Miami, all the fur coats come out of the closet!"

Seriously, I liked the last one ... but I think I liked the last because of the color which they call "crystal" - but it's not available, so why showcase a coat that is not available?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
If you could own just one of these 3 furs , which would you choose and why?
what are your thoughts? if you could pick just one of the three which o u find the most glamorous and beautiful and youthful? keep in mind im relatively young(late 20's) an living in nyc!

Ps. No moral advice please. I love fur for the feel and warmth. Just opinions, thanks!

Lady On Bus With MInk Coat 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Fox Fur Jackets, Fox Coats at the best prices sold at MAM!

Henig Furs :: - $5,999.00
I guess the 3rd one - it looks the most classic. But I would prefer sheared beaver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty