Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm straight and wear pants or shorts mostly and hate hanging out with girls. Too much drama.

I think it's lulzy that some dude thinks a piece of fabric cut and sewn a certain way makes a woman a butchy lesbian.

If I go stand in my garage will it make me a car? I think I'm going to go see if I turn into a convertible....
OK, now that just made me LOL!

Agree with you all, wearing a dress or pants hasn't anything to do with feminity. I'm one that just happens to prefer dresses, but was also in my time one of the first girls in my Jr HS who wore pants to our assembly as a protest for girls to be aloud to wear slacks/pants to school. This was late 60's at my school skirts and dresses were the dress code for girls. I didn't particularly like being told what I couldn't do in such instances like that. Was a big deal for someone of my temperment back then. Definitely shocked a lot of people to see me at the head of the protest. But we did get the dress code changed. And yes, I'm back to wearing those tiresome dresses though. Hey! You move to FL; see if you like not having air circulating underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
OK, now that just made me LOL!

Agree with you all, wearing a dress or pants hasn't anything to do with feminity. I'm one that just happens to prefer dresses, but was also in my time one of the first girls in my Jr HS who wore pants to our assembly as a protest for girls to be aloud to wear slacks/pants to school. This was late 60's at my school skirts and dresses were the dress code for girls. I didn't particularly like being told what I couldn't do in such instances like that. Was a big deal for someone of my temperment back then. Definitely shocked a lot of people to see me at the head of the protest. But we did get the dress code changed. And yes, I'm back to wearing those tiresome dresses though. Hey! You move to FL; see if you like not having air circulating underneath.
Exactly! I am in Texas.. it is, partly at least, about the circulation!!

I remember my mother saying how they were REQUIRED to wear dresses when she was in school, and it being really cold, so my Grandma sent her to school in a dress, with pants underneath! It didn't go over well but the point was made. My mother was a bit of a tomboy and hated wearing dresses when she was younger because it kept her from playing rough. She was all about skirts and heels in high school though.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Yikes, I meant to say allowed not aloud to wear. My vocab just gets worse and worse with age, I kept looking at it and realized it just didn't seem right. Sigh.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Hey! You move to FL; see if you like not having air circulating underneath.
HEY, I'm definitely down for air circulation in hot weather! Sign me up for skirts!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HEY, I'm definitely down for air circulation in hot weather! Sign me up for skirts!
On the list.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Women are not feminine-looking when they wear pants.

That's a fact.
No. It is not.

While they might not appear feminine _to you_ that in no way makes it a universal law. In fact pants can make a woman look MORE feminine not less in many cases. For example pants cling and accentuate the curves of the hips more than some dresses which fall in such a way as to straighten out the general form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Women who are against wearing dresses are generally feminist liberals, or they're the rare type of woman who looks silly in a dress.
Or perhaps they simply do not like the look or feel of them. Or they live a lifestyle where the kind of movement they engage in is hampered by dresses. Or, or, or.... there are a multitude of motivations for clothing choices. I see no reason to think your "generally" numbers are accurate or realistic. Have you any citations, studies or figures to back this up or are you essentially pulling this out of thin air?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Yeah, this look is so "manly"

And what part of the female form is being accentuated here?

But hey, it's a dress, that's all that matters, right? lol. I love dresses and skirts but c'mon.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I'm pants only, except about once every couple of years or so. With dresses I have to consider the possibility of hosiery, I'd likely wear different shoes than I wear when I wear pants. Plus I can feel 'cold' -- or it can feel 'breezy' when I wear a dress, especially with no pantyhose.

I'm a very dress down person -- so wearing a dress or skirt makes me feel that I've 'dressed up."

Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm pants only, except about once every couple of years or so. With dresses I have to consider the possibility of hosiery, I'd likely wear different shoes than I wear when I wear pants. Plus I can feel 'cold' -- or it can feel 'breezy' when I wear a dress, especially with no pantyhose.

I'm a very dress down person -- so wearing a dress or skirt makes me feel that I've 'dressed up."
I will not wear a skirt or dress when it's cold. There have been the rare occasions when ill do leggings and uggs but only when it's moderately cold.

If its hot I won't do jeans, unless I'm going to a bar or something.
I only take into bars what I need and jeans have pockets.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They are most likely to be lesbians or prefer the company of women more than men

Oh, OK, one more; the quoted post certainly deserves a little more derision and scorn.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty