Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,334,908 times

Advertisements

My response is posted in this other thread-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ere-you-3.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 PM

105 posts, read 199,184 times
I rarely wore skirts aside from fancy events until the past few years. Now, it's rare to see me in pants around the office.

Why? I find that a pencil skirt is far more flattering and professional-looking on me than pants.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,960,793 times
well I prefer pants but when I worked in an office we had a jr executive fella that implented a dress code and we women were all like wth ? he put it in a memo that all the women who worked on his floor he insisted that the women should look like women and none of those women said anything . I told one of the girls that worked on our floor I would quit if I had to go back to panty hose and skirts or dresses . I worked on a very casual floor and my boss could have cared less what I wore as long as it was clean ....LOL but I do prefer pants because they are more comfortable and there are alot of churches now that have relaxed dress codes .

Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,107,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
he put it in a memo that all the women who worked on his floor he insisted that the women should look like women and none of those women said anything .
I'm pretty sure that women look like women even when they're wearing pants. What a maroon.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,944,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm pretty sure that women look like women even when they're wearing pants. What a maroon.
That's when I'd send out my own memo that women expected to wear skirts to look feminine stems from religious beliefs that women don't wear pants and men do and that I was athiest and that his little rule impinged on my amendment rights and that if he pressed us to wear skirts or dresses that I'd be reporting him to someone higher.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,539,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starletta8 View Post
I rarely wore skirts aside from fancy events until the past few years. Now, it's rare to see me in pants around the office.

Why? I find that a pencil skirt is far more flattering and professional-looking on me than pants.
I've been moving more towards pencil skirts as well lately... I have a fairly big 'hip to knee' ratio and slacks tend to just hang off of my hips and make me look bigger than I really am. At 6'1, that isn't really a good thing.

So, pencil skirts that hug the hips and knees just make my silhouette look nicer.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've been moving more towards pencil skirts as well lately... I have a fairly big 'hip to knee' ratio and slacks tend to just hang off of my hips and make me look bigger than I really am. At 6'1, that isn't really a good thing.

So, pencil skirts that hug the hips and knees just make my silhouette look nicer.
Same here. I love pencil skirts.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,705,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is there a difference between the type of women who wear pants VS women who wear skirts/dresses?

I was going to post this in a different place such as Psychology or Relationships, but then I thought it would probably be more appropriate here.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this. Thanks.
I believe there is a psychological component to this question of the pants woman compared to the dress and skirt woman.

In my childhood, teens and early 20s (the 60's 70s and 80s) it appeared to my young mind that women who were strong and independent, in charge of their own lives so to speak mostly wore pants. Women who wore pants were often looked at as more "practical" more "in charge"

My view on this has evolved, though. With the advent of cell phones, Automobile Club, mother's helpers, On Star and a host of other services and companies that lend help and support to women, it is not necessary to wear pants to project power, or even to get practical things done. Power is also a woman being able to summon the help you want or need with a tablet, cell phone and credit card in age we find ourselves in now.

Women in dresses and skirts as more delicate and religious? I suppose it depends on the culture, the setting or the society. I myself have attended functions wearing very beautiful feminine dresses and skirts and..while there I sipped bourbon on the rocks. To me, stereotypes exist to be dispatched with.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,539,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Same here. I love pencil skirts.

If you like jersey knit pencil skirts, gap.com is having a bit of a sale on them in a bunch of different colors.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If you like jersey knit pencil skirts, gap.com is having a bit of a sale on them in a bunch of different colors.
No more shopping for me. Just splurged on an awesome purse. . And a few more things. I did get a great knit midi length pencil skirt on sale by Vince Camuto. It would be perfect for you Jet. It hit me a little past the knee so it should be the perfect knee length for you. And it was 2 layers of knit so it hangs nicely.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty