Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 PM

132 posts, read 304,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I do not really like to "dress up". To me "dressing up" is wearing a dress or suit, pantyhose, and heels. So I don't really like to dress up.

But, I also don't want to go out in public looking like I just fell out of bed either. Alot of people go out in their PJ's and a t-shirt to the park or market or Wal-Mart. That just is lazy in my opinion.
I agree. With respect to be conformist, mostly everything we do is conformist. You dress a certain way for your occupation, your age, the occasion, etc. Few of us have the stomach to buck convention or the independent wealth. So co'mon with that.

I like to dress up for occasions when I am afforded ample time and I also like to dress well for work. But I love clothes and fashion, so that's me. My mother told me that in the 50s and 60s it was much more formal, hats, white gloves and just dresses. In high school the girls were not allowed to wear pants even in winter.

I don't think we need to go back to those days, but so many people will just leave the house in anything or dress inappropriately for a wedding. I've seen a sun dress and flipflops and that wasn't the specified dress code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
If you notice that a vase majority of all of the people in the 50's magazine was a size 2 or 4 waist line. Many of those dressed up styles are not for women that are a size 14/16/18/20. I think the casual dress has a lot to do with the fact that we American's are not as thin as we use to be. Finding a dress for someone that has a pear shape or is short waist-ed is harder to come by. In addition, comfort has a lot to do with it as well
I agree. The Army recently redesigned its dress uniform. One of the styles that was seriously considered was the World War II era khakis, which pretty much every one agrees is the best looking uniform the Army had. Unfortunately, it was determined that the modern soldier is just too fat to look good in a uniform tightly cinched with a belt. Most soldiers would look more like Colonel Klink (the fat Nazi from the old t.v. show) and less like Jimmy Stewart.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Wish I could afford to "dress up", but with two teens and struggling to pay the bills, and raising them, alone, the last thing on my mind is dressing up. Sorry folks, one day again, maybe.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:07 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post
In high school the girls were not allowed to wear pants even in winter.
That's right! I'm old enough to have lived through the "no pants" rule, and that was at a public school. By 8th grade, the rules had changed, and girls were allowed to wear pants, but my parents were a bit slow to embrace that. By high school they let me wear pants, but it had to be a nice looking, matched "pants suit." Remember those?? Actually they weren't that different from woman's suits with pants today (think Hilary Clinton, but off the rack polyester), but I remember they were specifically called "pants suits."

Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I've gotten flack for dressing too formally. I wear suits everywhere, unless I am working out. Mostly custom suits. No belt loops, suspender buttons and side tabs instead. My name is engraved on the inside of the jackets, with hand-stitched armholes and reinforced elbows and knees. Red lining and vested suits for more equipment space.

I'm saving up for a thermal imaging monocle.

Made to measure wool 3 piece suits with functional buttonholes, silk ties, Egyptian cotton white shirts, white pocket squares, silver lapel pins, silver cufflinks encrusted with rubies, anodized aluminum pens, silk suspenders, and a wind-up watch with a chrome hidden flash drive. I'm only 23 so maybe people expect me to work with a basic mass-manufactured suit with no accessories or something.
I feel something pulling on my leg is that you?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,770 times
This all reminds me of my favorite quote by cosmetic mogul Helena Rubenstein:

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones."

I would apply that to men as well - it's not about dressing formal, but more about putting forth an effort. I see men/women daily; at the store, mall, boutiques, nice restaurants, family gatherings, etc. who just don't put forth an ounce an effort - they reach for the jeans/denim shorts, t-shirt (or similar) and athletic shoes, and call it a day.

I mostly wear jeans and t-shirts when working in the home or the yard - but I put forth an effort to dress "appropriately" for other events/occasions; hiking, biking, street festivals, art galleries, museum, house hunting, etc. And, of course, going "formal" is somethings entirely different (weddings, cocktail parties, corporate Holiday parties, etc.).

For the ladies: if you want super comfort AND style, you can't beat a great knit maxi skirt! Looks terrific with a pair of comfy flats or nice sandals!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
[quote=txtqueen;29679398]I'm well aware but I simply don't care.

Yes I'll probably pay for it in the future but I love flip flops.

You only live one that's the motto that we yolo.... Said a wise Canadian...[/quote]

Drake being wise? Come on now! He doesn't write one lyric of his songs and I can bet that quote has been said a long time before Drake sang it in a song

Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You only live one that's the motto that we yolo.... Said a wise Canadian...
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Drake being wise? Come on now! He doesn't write one lyric of his songs and I can bet that quote has been said a long time before Drake sang it in a song
To veer off for a bit, this store cracked me up:
Does Drake Own YOLO? - Forbes

We all know Macy's and Walgreens basically said "YOLO, you know our lawyers earn more than you do. Let's see who wins the lawsuit."

Old 05-24-2013, 10:39 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingfromCincy! View Post
For the ladies: if you want super comfort AND style, you can't beat a great knit maxi skirt! Looks terrific with a pair of comfy flats or nice sandals!
I almost agree. On my body shape, a separate skirt (of any length) and top always looks dumpy to me. I love maxi sundresses though!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But I'm shocked by what some women can accomplish in heels when they're used to wearing just heels. I only made specific reference to the heels in Rome because a Roman coworker of mine owned a total of one pair of athletic shoes (which does not see the light of day outside of the gym), one pair of flats, and one pair of flip flops (solely for the beach, pool, or suspect showers), and the rest of her shoes are heels. She manages to staff events on our lawn wearing 4 inch platform heels! I've tripped more on wedges in our office than she has running up and down the hills and dirt or cobblestone paths of our campus! She jokes that she was born in heels. :P
I'm like this. I do have a pair of trainers for the gym, a pair of flip-flops for the beach/pool, and I have 3 pair of flats for occasions when heels would be dangerous (i.e., climbing a ladder). But at least 70% of the time, I'm in heels.

I think a large part of it is what you're used to -- I joke that my balance is thrown off when I have to wear a flatter shoe! Getting good quality heels, that fit your feet well, also make a tremendous difference.

And I am salivating for those lime green patent pumps pictured earlier in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty