Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I worked there during the summer.

My heels made my feet hurt, if I was in pants I was too hot if I was in my skirt I wanted to be able to sit and walk normal again and usually I was too hot in whatever long sleeve button up I wore, most importantly I wanted to be comfortable.
But why change in the car? Why not go home and change? Why not wear flats or clothes you like and that are practical so that you can continue to wear them after work? That's what I would do. Well, I'm a dude, but the last part is what I'd do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
But why change in the car? Why not go home and change? Why not wear flats or clothes you like and that are practical so that you can continue to wear them after work? That's what I would do. Well, I'm a dude, but the last part is what I'd do.
A lot of the time I never went home right after work it was always on to do something else.
It was quick and easy.

I usually never go home after work, it's always straight out to do something else.

After 9 hours in a pencil skirt and heels and a dressy top I wanted some shorts, a tank and my flip flops.

When I worked at my security job we used to be allowed to change where we worked but one guy ruined it for us. That uniform I wore was UGLY, I looked like a ventriloquist doll in it. I always went straight to DB's after I got off and no way did I want to wear that over.

Now I live so close to home that I can go home and change if I have the car but if DB picks me up and wants to go somewhere after work then I have a spare set of clothes because yet again I don't want to run around in my ugly work polo and hideous khakis.

I change because it makes me feel better.

When I worked in retail I never had to change after work because I could always wear what I wanted to work in the first place.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM

I also love being comfortable.
Work clothes and shoes are not comfortable.

Like today I'm wearing white denim shorts and a navy blue crew neck shirt from hollister brown and white braided strap flip flops.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Cool.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Whether its the girl who wears skinny jeans, vans, band tees, punk jewelry and skater hats or the guy decked out in Abercrombie with gelled hair and flip flops.
To them they look their best, they look awesome to them and they know they get a certain level of respect from people they care about getting respect from.

Personally I rather look cool than dressed up and all polished and dainty.
And to me, your version of cool looks like a 16 year old who is trying too hard to look "cool". I'm only a year or two older than you and disagree with your view of dressing completely. It's not "kids these days" - it's your crowd. My friends are 23-30 (I'm 25), all in professional jobs, and all dress nice and polished - dresses, skirts, or appropriate pants and blouses for girls, khakis and button downs for boys. I'm far from preppy, but enjoy wearing dresses (no need to match tops and bottoms!) and want to be taken seriously despite my age.

You've mentioned in other threads that people think you are young. It's probably BECAUSE of the way you dress and your makeup. Nothing wrong with dressing how you want, but people are going to make assumptions.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And to me, your version of cool looks like a 16 year old who is trying too hard to look "cool". I'm only a year or two older than you and disagree with your view of dressing completely. It's not "kids these days" - it's your crowd. My friends are 23-30 (I'm 25), all in professional jobs, and all dress nice and polished - dresses, skirts, or appropriate pants and blouses for girls, khakis and button downs for boys. I'm far from preppy, but enjoy wearing dresses (no need to match tops and bottoms!) and want to be taken seriously despite my age.

You've mentioned in other threads that people think you are young. It's probably BECAUSE of the way you dress and your makeup. Nothing wrong with dressing how you want, but people are going to make assumptions.
Those aren't my versions of cool. Those were two examples of very different styles and when those people wear that stuff they feel they look their "best".

Neither look is how I dress.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:

I also don't have a "crowd" and the friends I have back home don't even dress like either example.

I was simply trying to make a point that way back when, the "best" was fancy clothes, little white gloves, etc.

Now there are so many looks and when the skater chick is doing her pitch black eyeliner and puts on her skinny jeans THAT look is what she feels she looks best in.

Do you get what I mean yet?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
I also don't have a "crowd" and the friends I have back home don't even dress like either example.

I was simply trying to make a point that way back when, the "best" was fancy clothes, little white gloves, etc.

Now there are so many looks and when the skater chick is doing her pitch black eyeliner and puts on her skinny jeans THAT look is what she feels she looks best in.

Do you get what I mean yet?
She can think she looks her best, but she will be judged. Simple as that. Sort of like how I judge you when you wear too much of your too dark eye liner (as in the picture you posted), and you judge me for wearing dresses.

The point is - one look gets respect from a broader perspective, the other doesn't.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
She can think she looks her best, but she will be judged. Simple as that. Sort of like how I judge you when you wear too much of your too dark eye liner (as in the picture you posted), and you judge me for wearing dresses.

The point is - one look gets respect from a broader perspective, the other doesn't.
So is that what would be considered the conventional look as opposed to the other being alternative?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
So is that what would be considered the conventional look as opposed to the other being alternative?
Not necessarily. I wouldn't consider jeans and heels or shorts with flip flops "alternative". I think it's more about dressing appropriately for the situation.. Tight jeans and 5" heels may be "hot" - and perfectly appropriate for clubbing. But not for most jobs and some other social situations. I think what charolastra means is that young women who's goal in life is to be only either "hot" or laid back are perceived as young and immature compared to young women who understand that looking "hot" can certainly be fun (and nothing wrong with it), it's limiting as a fashion goal. Especially when one is complaining about not being taken seriously or treated as an adult.

Txt seems to believe fashion falls into three catagoties: "hot and sexy" , "laid back and comfy" or "prissy and repressive".

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-30-2013 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: sp and clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty