Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times

Advertisements

I like painted nails, what I don't like is this new trend that's started a few years ago of designs, emblems, glued on stones, etc. At a glimpse it makes the nail look like it's got a fungus. Grosses me out. As far as shoes, Uggs, Toms, and chucks. Toms look like grandma shoes, chucks still remind me of 70's basketball players and Uggs are just flat out ugly.
I'll disagree with the other guys on the minimalist look. I like woman in high heels. They go with everything in my opinion.
Really dislike rolled up jeans. It looks like they are about to walk in ankle high water, lol. Fortunatley I'm seeing less and less of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM

260 posts, read 337,620 times
I am 50 and female. I love the minimalist look, always have. I like classic but contemporary. I'm also a huge proponent of the fact that age should not dictate what you should wear as much as someone's particular body type. There are 20 year-olds who are overweight trying to fit into tight, short clothes with too much spilling out while there are some very fit 40 year-olds who look good in a bikini. I also don't think you should try to look like your kids, no matter how fit you are. It looks desperate.

I live in Northern NJ and it is the capital of fake. Fake hair, nails, eyelashes, skin tone, breasts, lips and pretty much every other body part. I'm talking about men and women. It's one thing to enhance what you have or correct a "deformity" or severe issue but some people pretty much transform themselves into something not found in nature. It really is bizarre and I question the people that find these extremely fake-looking people attractive. Maybe other fake-looking people do? It must be shocking to wake up to each other the first time you spend the night together and see what's under all the crap.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am not a fashion expert but these are the forms of fashion I find the most unattractive:

1. Fake Nails - I have never understood the logic behind wearing these because it is very apparent that the nails are fake. And when that conclusion is drawn, the first question that comes to mind is why would said woman want to hide her nails? I think it is an effort to be overly decadent and you don't necessarily have to be a strict practitioner of the natural look to realize that.
2. Generic brands like Hollister, A & F, etc. come of as tacky and it is especially displeasing to see a group of young women dressed in the same few brands. It suppresses individuality in my opinion.
3. Painted nails. I'm sure others have different opinions on this but I think it looks childish.
4. Those excessive gladiator type shoes that seem to wind all the way up to the ankle. The way I look at is that we don't live in an ancient Spartan society anymore so why make the effort?
5. Lipstick that is a bit too bold and draws attention away from other facial features.

In my opinion, the minimalist look is the most attractive.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ml%3B435%3B579

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%3B1000%3B1000

Modern Minimalist Fashion

Etc.
WOW! Being from S FL you did not even HIT on the biggest issues I have seen when visiting your neck of the woods....and that would be all the fake/altered/"enhanced" body parts!!! I do't think ANYONE (other than maybe Hollywood) spends more money on "enhancements" than S FL folks!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
WOW! Being from S FL you did not even HIT on the biggest issues I have seen when visiting your neck of the woods....and that would be all the fake/altered/"enhanced" body parts!!! I do't think ANYONE (other than maybe Hollywood) spends more money on "enhancements" than S FL folks!!!
Very good point

Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are really good fake nails that look pretty natural to me. I think that those look a lot better than a totally unmanicured look does - every nail a different length, not filed, no polish.

When I was pregnant my natural nails were really strong and they would really grow nicely (although I never grew them super long), I would paint them. People would often asked me if they were my "real" nails....because they were really very pretty, almost too perfect.

I personally don't care for dark colored nail polish (like black, blue, purple, etc.). Yes, I know that those shades are trendy now....but not for me.
Right on.

Take Biotin, ladies - your hair and nails will thank you. I've been taking biotin for months now and my natural nails are super firm and easy to manicure myself at home.

I opt for a clear base coat and a slightly pinkish or beige sheer top coat. This home manicure lasts about 5 days which is fine by me.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I don't care for fake nails. They kinda weird me out and I do not like the sound they make when someone taps them on something. I have also seen women with acrylic nails and they are so thick that they just look strange.

I do not paint mine. I do have my toenails painted. I do not care what people think I should wear, I wear what I want to wear. It may not be in fashion and it may not be trendy or bright and flashy.

My clothes are pretty plain and that is how I like it. I also do not like heels. They hurt and I do not want to hurt where it is not necessary.
LOL whenever I read one of your posts I think to myself, "What a likable person she must be!" I guess because I agree with so much of what you post.

I INSIST on having immaculate toes - which includes a nice "paint job," for most of the year since I live in a warm climate and often wear open toed shoes 9 months out of the year.

I don't care for heels. I am tall anyway and my legs are already long, so I prefer to be comfortable. I love cute shoes with a slight heel. I'm vain about my feet in case you can't tell. I just don't like high heels.

I am so glad that I started taking biotin so I don't have to go to the nail salon anymore. Prior to discovering the biotin, my nails were very fragile. I had a professional job that brought attention to my hands - I was in banking and was constantly working with people's paperwork, pointing things out, etc and I felt self conscious about my short, split nails so I was getting THIN acrylic overlays on my nails. HASSLE and also even more harmful to my nails in the long run.

It took me about three months to really see the difference in my nails but now I just use clear or sheer polish - and I can even forego that if I buff them to a shine. SUCH A RELIEF and I prefer a more natural look anyway.

Except for my toes. Heck, I'll even have little flowers painted on my toenails sometimes! Goes nice with my toe ring...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 AM

328 posts, read 682,189 times
1. Breast implants
2. Dyed hair
3. Shaved legs
4. Make-up
5. False teeth
6. Cigarette (or Cigar) smoking
7. Tobacco chewing
8. Weight over 200 pounds
9. Weight under 100 pounds
10. Low IQ
11. Lack of intelligence
12. Looking like Jodi Ares
13. Saying you have a headache when you do not
14 Wearing clothes that are 2 sizes too small

Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
I absolutely detest red lipstick, especially when it's on so thick. Even worse when the girl has a very light complexion and light colored hair.

Also, co-sign on the fake nails and gladiator shoes. The latter are just so ugly.

Random facial piercings...not cute at all, piercings on your cheeks, above your lips, etc, just not cute.

Stilettos are not cute, either, not interested in dating a wannabe stripper.

Not a fan of women who wear like 48 bracelets and other accessories when they go out. It's a good thing they don't have to go through any metal detectors. I'm sure there's more.

Also, I don't know if this is a 'fashion' thing or just an easier thing to do, but when girls wear those curved bill hats when they go exercise or run errands.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Aww thank you, how sweet of you!

How does that biotin work for the hair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL whenever I read one of your posts I think to myself, "What a likable person she must be!" I guess because I agree with so much of what you post.

I INSIST on having immaculate toes - which includes a nice "paint job," for most of the year since I live in a warm climate and often wear open toed shoes 9 months out of the year.

I don't care for heels. I am tall anyway and my legs are already long, so I prefer to be comfortable. I love cute shoes with a slight heel. I'm vain about my feet in case you can't tell. I just don't like high heels.

I am so glad that I started taking biotin so I don't have to go to the nail salon anymore. Prior to discovering the biotin, my nails were very fragile. I had a professional job that brought attention to my hands - I was in banking and was constantly working with people's paperwork, pointing things out, etc and I felt self conscious about my short, split nails so I was getting THIN acrylic overlays on my nails. HASSLE and also even more harmful to my nails in the long run.

It took me about three months to really see the difference in my nails but now I just use clear or sheer polish - and I can even forego that if I buff them to a shine. SUCH A RELIEF and I prefer a more natural look anyway.

Except for my toes. Heck, I'll even have little flowers painted on my toenails sometimes! Goes nice with my toe ring...

Old 05-25-2013, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What do guys think about miniskirts on girls who should not be wearing miniskirts? Do you like the short skirts just because you might get a glimpse of something?

I saw some horrors last week at my daughter's graduation. White, fat, doughy legs sticking out from under ill-fitting miniskirts that barely covered the white, fat, doughy butt. These were young women, too. They did not seem to care that their legs were not shapely or attractive.

I don't don't think I would wear miniskirt to a graduation ceremony and I would not appreciate wearing it in that kind of even either. But to me it is just about what and where not about being white and fat. I see girls do look attractive on those sometimes.

I don't think that girls with so many rings are attractive, earring, nose-ring, eyes-brown ring, cheek-ring...Having some rings is cool but having too many is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty