U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I am not "very beautiful," and I don't care to be. But I enjoy dressing well when I have the chance. I think a good outfit and a dose of class go much further than good looks. I mean look at poor Britney Spears and her trampy outfits. It doesn't matter how pretty you are if you have no class or style -- unless you are naked.

Greenie
i'm tired of being a beauty object. i just want to be like ordinary people.
can i get away with saying that? i have been very very good for at least a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,612,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I think being very beautiful could be a curse as well as a blessing as people do make assumptions such as the size of your brains and there must be so much pressure to maintain your looks. To be both beautiful and brainy is far more demoralizing to me !
Well actually, I think it's different for men and women. While a lot of beautiful women make sure to maintain their lovely looks, good looking men are usually unaware of their attractiveness and don't care, or they are aware that they look good and still don't care.

I've found that most pretentious pretty boys really aren't all that handsome in the first place.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 PM

271 posts, read 76,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well actually, I think it's different for men and women. While a lot of beautiful women make sure to maintain their lovely looks, good looking men are usually unaware of their attractiveness and don't care, or they are aware that they look good and still don't care.

I've found that most pretentious pretty boys really aren't all that handsome in the first place.
Maybe it is only because how "beautiful" a person is/seems changes once you get to know them? I know that is what happens to me. I'll meet someone that I think is really beautiful, then after a while I don't know why I ever thought that. Or I'll look at someone I know and realize that they are so extremely beautiful and I don't know how I (or anyone else) could have ever missed it.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 PM

253 posts, read 1,014,314 times
Smile Naw because if you get to know folks they will give you "real" reason to hate them!

I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One person may think a person is beautiful and others may not. I am not the type of person who gets jealous of other women who I think are beautiful If I like something about their look it may help inspire me for my own look. I do think that there are perks with beinbg percieved as good looking but there are also drawbacks.I have never considered myself beautiful but others have I guess. When I used to teach it sucked working with other women. Any women that was percieved as good looking in any of my schools that I worked at were social outcasts. Also I feel when you are percieved as being good looking you feel pressure to maintain that image. Heaven forbig if you gain a pound! The sheer glee on others faces could light up the world. It is a shame of how many people seem to wish harm on one another.

OTOH being percieved as good looking has also had its benefits. At times it has led to me getting a lot of free stuff or lavish gifts. It has also led to people making negative assumptions about the type of person. I am a pretty goofy lay back person who doesn't take herself too seriously. Often when I meet people I have to go out of my way to prove to them that I am not evil or a B*tch (which sometimes I fail at) Women tend to be ultra catty with each other so unfortunately I am able to make male friends a lot easier than female friends. I beleive that inner beauty is more important than outer beauty because outer beauty will eventually fade. I have always tried to build my intelligence & personality because I believe that is ultimately the true testiment of who I am as a person

Old 11-11-2007, 03:01 AM

149 posts, read 303,533 times
People respect and admire good looking people more than they hate them. I've been told I am good looking, and appreciate the way people often go out of their way to help me, and generally are just very nice.

And the thing with most good looking people is we don't even consider ourselves that attractive. I always thought I was ugly and that no one wanted me and that I'd never have a girlfriend. Then, people started telling me I could be a model, etc.

Believe me, "good looking" people have just as many, if not more doubts and insecurities as anyone.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,067,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i'm tired of being a beauty object. i just want to be like ordinary people.
can i get away with saying that? i have been very very good for at least a week.
Yeah, me too, Bunky. I'm tired of being a beauty queen, all these people staring at me, men drooling over me and throwing diamonds at me. Why can't I just be ordinary for a day?

greenie

Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM

395 posts, read 1,793,277 times
When I was younger, two women who eventually became good friends of mine told me that initially they didn't like me because I was blonde. That did make me rather insecure over the years. But now I'm in my 40's, and I just don't care anymore. Of course I'm now I'm too old to give anyone any cause to be jealous of my blonde hair. Unless they are jealous that I don't have any grey hairs at my age. Which I don't, and I'm a natural blonde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or