Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:15 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,332 times

Advertisements

Remember that commercial on TV for that hair product? The beautiful model stated in a cool sexy way, "don't hate me because I am beautiful" I think she was advertising an idea that is common in today's society, beautiful women are hated by many people. It might be envy, intimidation, frustration or ego but if a women is just to pretty or beautiful something has to be wrong.

What do you think about people who are just incredibly beautiful? Do you envy them, do you hate them, do you want to be them? Does someone who is just strikingly beautiful have a handicap in today's society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I certainly notice beautiful people. They show up everywhere, and are both genders and all different ages. When I was younger, I might be jealous, or assume they were going to be snooty or superficial. I know better now.

Perhaps some beautiful people do suffer from others' incorrect assumptions and/or expectations? Perhaps the more confident and self-aware beautiful people make sure their personality shines through the outer shell?

(Also, I tend to see beauty not necessarily as *perfect* features symmetrically displayed. To me, this can be boring and almost cold.)

Regardless, youthful beauty, as fresh and intoxicating as it is, does not last.
I suppose one should enjoy it for what it is, go with the flow, but not obsess about it.
Ultimately, what's going on inside that pretty head is what matters.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I think being very beautiful could be a curse as well as a blessing as people do make assumptions such as the size of your brains and there must be so much pressure to maintain your looks. To be both beautiful and brainy is far more demoralizing to me !

Cil is absolutely right though, beauty very rarely lasts and you should be hopefully be something more than just a lovely shell.

I tend to be far more jealous of great brains and some people just make me so jealous by their undending knowledge, and amazing experiences.
We all desire to be attractive but ultimately what and who you are is what matters.

What I loathe thoguh is SMUG and vain beautiful people, that is such a turn off. Mind you I rarely seem to find the same people attractive as most people do. Brad Pitt and Tom Crusie's attractions are to me a complete mystery ( Gabriel Byrne to me oozes sexiness as does Rufus Sewell) so what do I know ?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:22 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
I always "analyze" things.....and people.
I would never, ever "hate" beautiful people....that's not me.
I am not intimidated by them either. I usually look at them, check them out...from the girls I sometimes get an "inspirational" idea for a new look for myself.
Funny thing I witnessed so far...beautiful people KNOW that they are perceived as beautiful, and their personalities are sometimes lacking....completely!
So, no, I could never hate them....but do pity them a bit.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:02 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
I hardly consider someone having beauty as a handicap. I would think they're given more options and opportunites than someone with "lesser looks".

Do I hate, envy or want to look like them? No. Sure there are things I would like to change about myself, but never have I wished or wanted to look like someone else.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:41 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Those famous words were spoken by Kelly LeBrock for Pantene.

I don't think 'beautiful people' should be treated or considered en masse; each person is an individual. I have met (and am familiar with) many beauties both male and female with a sense of entitlement, and an aloof personality. I have also met and know plenty of people who are gorgeous and also brilliant and funny at the same time, who don't ever put on that snooty vibe. And then there is everything in between.

In a nutshell, each person should be viewed by their own merit and not just for their exterior. I have heard many a man tell me that a beautiful woman is sometimes only beautiful until she opens her mouth. In the immortal words of Judge Judy - beauty is fleeting, dumb is forever.

(I had to chime in on this thread for obvious reasons )

Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Those famous words were spoken by Kelly LeBrock for Pantene.

I don't think 'beautiful people' should be treated or considered en masse; each person is an individual. I have met (and am familiar with) many beauties both male and female with a sense of entitlement, and an aloof personality. I have also met and know plenty of people who are gorgeous and also brilliant and funny at the same time, who don't ever put on that snooty vibe. And then there is everything in between.

In a nutshell, each person should be viewed by their own merit and not just for their exterior. I have heard many a man tell me that a beautiful woman is sometimes only beautiful until she opens her mouth. In the immortal words of Judge Judy - beauty is fleeting, dumb is forever.

(I had to chime in on this thread for obvious reasons )

Great post donth8me - so true!! I love all your Judge Judy quote's!! lmao You are a fortunate lady having not only the outer beauty but the inner beauty as well!

I also agree 100 percent with CIL's post.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,846 times
personally i think most people could use a bit more vanity. so no, i don't hate anyone for being good looking. i only hate people who are a$$holes lol.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:31 PM

62 posts, read 299,716 times
I think beautiful people are judged on a harsher scale. If an average person says something a little bitchy it is accepted as personality, but if a beautiful person does that they are just considered a total b****.

I've been a little jealous of naturally beautiful women cause I have to work at it.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
When I lived in NYC and LA, beauty was important. It wasn't just that you dressed in designer-- it was that you were extremely attractive.

To a large degree this is true everywhere. Beautiful people really are promoted above more talented but less attractive people. We tend to put them in high places but we also tend to expect them to not do a whole lot on that pedestal, either.

It never hurts to be beautiful, but it always helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty