Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:43 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,976 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am seriously considering going to Colombia sometime soon to be getting rhinoplasty. I know Colombia is plastic surgery mecca, but would you get Cosmetic surgery abroad?

Rhinoplasty is only $1200 US dollars in Cali, Colombia compared to $7-9,000 here in USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Is it work the risk though?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM

111 posts, read 223,618 times
I wouldn't, because I'd want to have it done somewhere I can visit the clinic or hospital beforehand (to see how clean and modern the facility is), speak with the doctor in person, etc.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I know some people who went to Indonesia for extensive dental work...beautifully done at less than one quarter the price (a free vacation out of the deal), and still money left....Treatment Abroad - Health and Medical Tourism

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The problem with getting something done outside the country, is the matter of accountability.

Let's say you have a nose job in Columbia. It takes just a couple of days, and then you can fly home. Except you can't fly home, because the change in cabin pressure could cause a nose-bleed, which could send you to ER. So you're pretty much stuck in Columbia, not able to really enjoy a vacation because you just had surgery on your nose, so you're mostly spending the whole time in your hotel, which you have to pay for...

Then you finally get to go home, let's say it's a full week later. Well it takes around a month or so for you to be healed enough to call yourself "healed" - and during this time, let's say you get a nose-bleed, or the swelling isn't really going down into the shape you expected it to go down to. It's not the shape you told the doctor you wanted.

So now you have to call out sick from work for another week while you travel BACK to Columbia - of course paying the air fare and another week's worth of hotel...

or, do you just suck it up and pay extra for the doctors in the USA to fix what the doctor in Columbia messed up - which will now cost MORE than if you had it done here in the first place?

If I could have it done 100% painlessly, I'd have an eyelid lift. I'd pay for it - I'd go into debt over it. But I know it's not painless, I know it'd require time off from work, which I don't want to waste my vacation time for. But regardless - even if it was free - I'd never get it done away from driving distance of my own home, unless it was a medical emergency (such as - I was already IN columbia when my nose got broken and it needs to be set while I'm already there).

The same goes for my teeth. I'd rather pay extra to have dental work done close to home - so if something isn't right, I don't have far to go, to get it fixed.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The problem with getting something done outside the country, is the matter of accountability.

Let's say you have a nose job in Columbia. It takes just a couple of days, and then you can fly home. Except you can't fly home, because the change in cabin pressure could cause a nose-bleed, which could send you to ER. So you're pretty much stuck in Columbia, not able to really enjoy a vacation because you just had surgery on your nose, so you're mostly spending the whole time in your hotel, which you have to pay for...

Then you finally get to go home, let's say it's a full week later. Well it takes around a month or so for you to be healed enough to call yourself "healed" - and during this time, let's say you get a nose-bleed, or the swelling isn't really going down into the shape you expected it to go down to. It's not the shape you told the doctor you wanted.

So now you have to call out sick from work for another week while you travel BACK to Columbia - of course paying the air fare and another week's worth of hotel...

or, do you just suck it up and pay extra for the doctors in the USA to fix what the doctor in Columbia messed up - which will now cost MORE than if you had it done here in the first place?

If I could have it done 100% painlessly, I'd have an eyelid lift. I'd pay for it - I'd go into debt over it. But I know it's not painless, I know it'd require time off from work, which I don't want to waste my vacation time for. But regardless - even if it was free - I'd never get it done away from driving distance of my own home, unless it was a medical emergency (such as - I was already IN columbia when my nose got broken and it needs to be set while I'm already there).

The same goes for my teeth. I'd rather pay extra to have dental work done close to home - so if something isn't right, I don't have far to go, to get it fixed.
No more than you'd pay to fly to a foreign country to pay for the work needed to fix what the Doctors in the USA messed up...You assume that foreign health care can not be on par with the US...I think it can...even if you did have to fly back (highly doubtful) you could go back and forth a few times and still come out ahead...accountability means nothing in the US....you still pay to have "it fixed", no matter what it is....PurpleShadow..you absolutely can meet the doctor and see the (ultra modern) hospital beforehand. The only real difference is the cost, which is why a lot of people need to travel...I don't think they would, if they could afford it here.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

As a matter of course, many or even most who have an anti- Colombia view are often those who have the least experience with or in that country. This poster misspelled 'Colombia' no less en four times.

Medical tourism is not for everyone, although I'd argue that it should be for many more. Consider both your current insurance providers policy on out of network procedures as well as purchasing additional 'adverse outcome' insurance just in case. This is most often never necessary (I've never had it happen to a client, given the high quality of Doctors I'm familiar with), but it even after paying a deductible or utilizing your additional insurance, you come out well ahead of the game.

Yes, while recovery times vary, you may need additional rest in a hotel at your expense. But plea bear in mind that the minimum wage in Colombia is only about $300/month USD. Wile that doesn't give you the entire story, it should present some sort of idea as to the reasonable cost of lodging. Also, depending on your stay, an Apartment may be a better option to further save money and increase your comfort.

I might be a little hesitant towards Cali though. It is more difficult to navigate the Bogota and dollars saved on surgery there, often need to be applied to additional airfare.

I urge anyone who is serious about this to do their research and feel free to contact me with any questions.
Best regards,
Mrines
Mod cut: Do not post personal contact info in the threads.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-31-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM

24 posts, read 26,120 times
I would not travel to South America for surgery under any circumstances. If you have complications you are far from home, and often at their mercy with additional charges being demanded in cash.

Save for the surgery.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Remember no ads are allowed. Offering to help is fine if you are not financially benefiting.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Default South American plastic surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier Van Noort View Post
I would not travel to South America for surgery under any circumstances. If you have complications you are far from home, and often at their mercy with additional charges being demanded in cash.

Save for the surgery.
I apologize that I published my email address, my mistake.

I don't seek or intend to seek any financial reward. I do however, offer assistance and seek to clarify misconceptions. One going overseas for a medical procedure should NEVER find themselves in the position when you are at the dr.s mercy or they only accept cash. If one is in that position, they have done zero homework and the chances are equal in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty