Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times

Advertisements

I just love retro fashion from the 1940's-1950's. Does anyone else?

I'm in the rockabilly scene, so that is why I like it. Also, love the modern twists or reproductions of the clothing too. I also love the punkier versions

I love buying the clothes, but I'm considering learning to sew to make my own clothes for myself That is motivation enough for me to learn

If I could re-do my career, I would have gone into this sort of thing, but I'm too old to do it now LOL.

Bear hugs,
AB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 02:15 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
maybe you could do this on the side (fashion is great) never say you are to old. I like that look too specialy the punkier stuff. However my DH would go into shock (then again he met me with bright red cartoon hair) I miss all the fun clothes,love utah however where I am at everyone dresses the same.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Ever since I was a girl, I have always loved 40's fashion.
I loved the slim lines with the shoulderpads. Always loved the open-toed heels.
The hairstyles, too: they were natural yet did not look high-maintenance.

50's, not so much, I don't like the poufy dresses or skirts. The 50's was when I was born and I think maybe the men had a better look than the women back then.

When I was (much) younger I did a lot of shopping for vintage stuff. Too bad my mom didn't save too many clothes from her teenage days, though she did hand down a couple things.
I agree that there are some really nice reproductions.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 AM

I like the 1940's pinup girl look. I think regarding 1950's I like Bettie Page's look And, the 1950's poofy skirts are great to swing dance in Not that my husband will dance with me at all Oh well...

Oooh, the guys were cute in the 1950's...I love the greaser look.

I'm 35 and probably too old to wear this stuff and well, to even think about doing anything fashion-related for a living LOL...But, yet, I still wear hair flowers...My own personal look is punky, pin-up girl LOL...I know I'm lame

Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I love retro fashion and the and the 40s and 50s are my favourite eras for sartorial savoir-faire. The Dior "New Look" ( 1947) to me symbolises elegance, chic and femininity and a time when women had what I would call real "class". I look at young women nowadays and despair at the grunginess and blandness of their clothes. Yes I know I sound like some old grand-ma whining about the good ol'days but fashion wise in my opinion nothing has been better since... Audrey Hepburn , Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, all style icons worthy of the name.

Christian Dior - [Designmuseum] - Image 1
Fashion (broken link)

Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 AM

Oooh, those images were so cool...

I absolutely love the lady-like look now in my 'old age' LOL. I spent enough time wearing jeans and t-shirts in the past I still wear t-shirts and jeans at times, but I like to wear something stylish with them to make it my own style.

I've been able to make my own style combining 1970's punk with 1940's retro chic

Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Id like to wear vintage but Im kinda tall so womens just doesnt fit. But I do collect vintage jewelry and accesories. I have a lot of mens vintage stuff. I mix it with new and wear it in a kinda classic sporty dramatic way . I really like old neckties and vests and suit jackets. I do have some vintage womens coats.

I agree with you on the young peeps. Doesnt anybody know how to dress for their body shape anymore. Just because something is in style doesnt mean YOU should wear it. Prime example curvy gals with muffin top.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 AM

It's wild because it was my exploration of vintage that showed me what was flattering to my figure. I was a boxy t-shirt wearer before. Now, I wear more fitted t-shirts when I'm casual. But, I like to wear pretty vintage jewelry, retro sweaters, feminine skirts, etc., etc.

I'm a size 2 or 4, but I'm super curvy and athletic at the same time...while being on the short side (5 ft. 2). I have super long legs though for my height and so I don't have to wear petite-sized clothing. But, juniors' sizing fits better at times. Gosh though, if I were a teen, I'd have an eating disorder again. The sizes are so crazy! LOL...how can I need a size 9 in jeans in juniors and wear a size 2-4 in misses jeans? LOL

I'd like to see a resurgence of the classic feminine. It's wild for me to say that because I do consider myself a feminist in a big way. I enjoy everyone's unique fashion sense, but I wish there were other options out there to today's fashions.

I shop vintage a lot. I don't buy much though. Maybe that is the solution for me But, there are brilliant reproductions I know. I always get good service at vintage stores with my Bettie Page hair Hee hee!

If only I could sew...

Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
It's wild because it was my exploration of vintage that showed me what was flattering to my figure. I was a boxy t-shirt wearer before. Now, I wear more fitted t-shirts when I'm casual. But, I like to wear pretty vintage jewelry, retro sweaters, feminine skirts, etc., etc.

I'm a size 2 or 4, but I'm super curvy and athletic at the same time...while being on the short side (5 ft. 2). I have super long legs though for my height and so I don't have to wear petite-sized clothing. But, juniors' sizing fits better at times. Gosh though, if I were a teen, I'd have an eating disorder again. The sizes are so crazy! LOL...how can I need a size 9 in jeans in juniors and wear a size 2-4 in misses jeans? LOL

I'd like to see a resurgence of the classic feminine. It's wild for me to say that because I do consider myself a feminist in a big way. I enjoy everyone's unique fashion sense, but I wish there were other options out there to today's fashions.

I shop vintage a lot. I don't buy much though. Maybe that is the solution for me But, there are brilliant reproductions I know. I always get good service at vintage stores with my Bettie Page hair Hee hee!

If only I could sew...
I dont think I wore a size 2 when I was 2. Right now Im in 16 plus or minus a size. Depends on the style. Im not a girly girl but I feel I look feminine even in my mens stuff.. No lace and pastels for me. And I miss shoulder pads. Not the big huge ones. But smaller ones can balance you. And I like my outfits to match.

Now that i think about it most of my stuff is pretty classic. Its my wild accesories and the way I put my colors together that could be considered kinda out there. Im a red head so I live in green and all the classic autumn colors. Right now Im wearing lots of orange and other fall colors.. Orange & green, brown & orange, and green & brown.

As for the sewing. I can sew but I dont like to. You need to find a seamstress/tailor. Fit can make all the difference. Once you know their prices you can factor that into the price. For example if you buy some thng for $10 and it costs you $30 for minor alters then its still can be cheaper than new and much more interesting and it fits YOU.

Funny thing. Ive been told I look put together even when Im DIY casual cause my stuff matches. Ive done it for so long now its a habit.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Yes, absolutely 1940's fashion!!! Because I am a dancer and I LOVE to go out lindy hoppin', I dress up 40's style. Because it is hard to find 40's clothes, I started buying up clothing patterns off Ebay or wherever I could find them and started making my own 40's clothes. I get shoes off Ebay and I have to outbid everyone else and hope to God these shoes fit. Then I take them to a shoe repair and have the chrome suede put on the bottoms so I can dance. I have very long hair, so I can do a lot of really cool 40's do's with it. Oh yeah and red lips and nails - wouldn't be caught dead without 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty