Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:45 AM

580 posts, read 965,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So have you ever thought that maybe your ideals of what is attractive is really not your ideals, for example, i grew up moving around alot being exposed to different cultures, religious beliefs, and families. I hardly watched t.v. As an adult I have alot of guys that are friends and sometimes we talk about you ladies, whats attractive, whats not etc. My friends mostly talk about the skinny, model type as being attractive etc, where im usually one of the lone guys that says i llke bbw ladies or, and nerd girls.I also like a few model type girls but mostly its ladies with more to love that i find attractive. I once asked my friends why they thought that models where more attractive or why they were attracted to the model type mostly and most of my friends just shrugged.

So do u think t.v. magazines, peer pressure etc influences what you find attractive, even on an unconscious level? And how does it influence u?
It may be that but cultural tastes in women and men have changed for centuries. Back in the middle ages people who were chunky were the attractive ones. It was a sign of status. People thought a big woman or man was rich since he was able to eat enough to support a heftier body. Not to mention that that was ingrained in our instincts.

Our ancestors had to survive in a harsh environment before they developed the technology we take for granted today. The ones who had fat on their bones were the ones that survived a lot longer than the thinner ones. The chunkier women were able to have healthier children and keep them alive longer through feeding and other ways.

These days the model types are the new status symbols and, therefore, are the more attractive ones. If a person is able to sustain the body they have through personal trainers and expensive diets they'll be ab;e to sustain a child and give the opposite sex status as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:46 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
We wouldn't be having problems with this if it weren't for Obama care.
He has nothing to do with fat folks. There are a millions of reasons. So knock it off.

At least he helps the poor. And helps in natural disasters. Remember Katrina?

My President isn't a racist.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
So have you ever thought that maybe your ideals of what is attractive is really not your ideals, for example, i grew up moving around alot being exposed to different cultures, religious beliefs, and families. I hardly watched t.v. As an adult I have alot of guys that are friends and sometimes we talk about you ladies, whats attractive, whats not etc. My friends mostly talk about the skinny, model type as being attractive etc, where im usually one of the lone guys that says i llke bbw ladies or, and nerd girls.I also like a few model type girls but mostly its ladies with more to love that i find attractive. I once asked my friends why they thought that models where more attractive or why they were attracted to the model type mostly and most of my friends just shrugged.

So do u think t.v. magazines, peer pressure etc influences what you find attractive, even on an unconscious level? And how does it influence u?
Actually a good question.

I do believe that media plays a part in what people tend to find attractive. A lot of my friends fawn over Beyonce. While she is nice looking, I often find myself more interested in one of the background dancers.

While they go on and on about how they wish she was with one of them, I'm like "please." There are tons of other women out there than her.

With the Britney Spears craze back in 1999, she did nothing for me then. I really didn't get the fuss. Actually now, she does a little more for me, now that she's a bit older.

Granted, there are some women that the media push that I find way attractive. But I find myself more attracted to the woman down the street or within a mile of me who talks to me.

In many cases, guys tend to fawn over a certain woman because the media tells them "she's hot." That is not to say that men are not actually attracted that type of women. I'm just saying that media does have an influence over what is considered attractive. Look throughout history and different cultures and you will see how the image of attractiveness has shifted.

The thing is that there is a narrow field of attractiveness when it comes to the media.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
It's impossible for anyone to determine how much of our preferences are genetic vs. socialized, but I tend to lean to the side of believing it is mostly socially programmed, for both men and women. (Why single out only guys here? Silly.) Ultimately it doesn't much matter, because either way we prefer what we prefer.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
That's a myth. Plus those women weren't fat like the average disgusting American today who guzzles down junk food and soda daily, then complains they are fat due to genetics, the same genetics that had previous generations with half the obesity rate.
So you know what every man of every culture and time is thinking because of something that says we popped out from between a monkey's legs?

(Just kidding about the monkey's legs part, I do believe in evolution. But, when one tries to generalize because of that theory, then in my opinion, he is shooting himself in the foot. )

Men are attracted to various types, just like women are.

Oh, perhaps this is the next stage of evolution.

Who knew?

It is about survival btw.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Marilyn Monroe wouldn't be considered fat today, in fact she would get bashed for being skinny. Did you know that her waist was only 22 inches? Do you realize how skinny that is? The average female today is pushing closer to 30 inch waist. Its only fat people who are pushing agendas that make up the Marilyn Monroe would be fat today myth.
You didn't understand what I said.

No, Marilyn Monroe would not be considered "fat" today by society at large. Nor would anyone deny she was attractive. However, while Marilyn Monroe was still leaner than most women are today, she was significantly heavier than most models are today.

That was my point. The ideal of beauty, far from being eternally "hard wired," can shift dramatically in just a few decades.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,623 times
Quote:
Men are hardwired for those preferences. At no point in history were older women considered more attractive than younger woman? Why is that? Men are attracted to symmetrical faces and females with certain hip to waist ratios. Its innate since men throughout the world find those traits attractive.
This makes sense to me. And to answer the original question. Three things I was told as a young person:

1)Tall men are more attractive - disagree.

2)It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man (and preferable) than to fall in love with poor. - Depends what personality traits go along with rich, some of these men are egotistical. I do agree it's practical to fall in love with someone who brings something to the table financially.

3)(female) Blondes have more fun- agree

Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Guys really good points. Mahalo

Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:

If I am somehow swayed by society to think what I do.. I'd like to thank society.

In reality, I doubt it is that way and I think it is just you overthinking. The reason society thinks that way is due to the human instinct to think a certain way.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
We wouldn't be having problems with this if it weren't for Obama care.
Come on, now. The obesity crisis started when Reagan was president. Who is in the White House has precious little to do with people being fat, so let's just move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty