Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM

224 posts, read 356,967 times

Advertisements

o.O Do fat folks really bother you?

I mean, they just love 'em some food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 01:00 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.U.E.E.N View Post
o.O Do fat folks really bother you?

I mean, they just love 'em some food.
Not really. I had a crush on a well endowed chubby girl once.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If I am somehow swayed by society to think what I do.. I'd like to thank society.

In reality, I doubt it is that way and I think it is just you overthinking. The reason society thinks that way is due to the human instinct to think a certain way.
You maybe right? or maybe your over simplifing things? Hmmm i use the example that i used earlier, the renaissance or periods around that time thought that bbw or fullfigured women where disired or attractive? So was that human instinct? or social conditioninng? And then why the big shift. I think as a rational man in modern life. I think its hard to admit that we don't have total control over everything about how we think, live etc. I think we have a hardtime seeing or admitting that our friends, ohanas, society, culture, has such a major impact on how we think, percieve life etc. Even on the unconscious level. Awareness changes realities.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So have you ever thought that maybe your ideals of what is attractive is really not your ideals, for example, i grew up moving around alot being exposed to different cultures, religious beliefs, and families. I hardly watched t.v. As an adult I have alot of guys that are friends and sometimes we talk about you ladies, whats attractive, whats not etc. My friends mostly talk about the skinny, model type as being attractive etc, where im usually one of the lone guys that says i llke bbw ladies or, and nerd girls.I also like a few model type girls but mostly its ladies with more to love that i find attractive. I once asked my friends why they thought that models where more attractive or why they were attracted to the model type mostly and most of my friends just shrugged.

So do u think t.v. magazines, peer pressure etc influences what you find attractive, even on an unconscious level? And how does it influence u?
Society always influences people. You might be aware Black-American males (and often Latinos too) tend to more often like women with larger, rounder, butts than a lot of white males reared in non-Latino cultures.

In fact, there has been some things written on the Brazilian males emphasis on the woman's backside vs the long tradition in the U.S. of men placing emphasis on a woman's breast. Consequently, I have read in a book that it's much more common in Brazil than in the U.S. to see women photographed from behind.

What I learned about Sexual Selection theory is that among humans it's common for a guy approaching a woman at a table to have to be approved of by all the women, because the group will tell the woman he's approaching what to think of him.

So, yeah, people receive indoctrinations in the society they live in.

Grade schools and high schools can be some of the biggest centers of peer pressure. How many boys do you think will date the girl that all the other boys make fun of? And females typically like males that one or more other females are after or have. Reminds me of this woman that paid no attention to me at all until she saw this very attractive woman getting into my car. Then all of a sudden she's eying me up like I magically transformed into something worthwhile.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Men are biologically programmed to be attracted to young fettle females with a good hip to waist ratio, and symmetrical face. You can't control evolution. If you want proof for this, try parading around Kate Upton alongside with the average fat feminist in the Middle East. Which one gets more attention there? The Middle East is not brainwashed at all by media images of females, yet they have similar tastes in what is attractive. Do you think a 250 lbs female is going to get more attention historically in times without magazines? What percent of societies in history do you think will choose the 250 lbs woman?
Marylin Monroe would be considered "plump" today in the Western media. But overweight women were once idealized in European painting. At least, what we regard as over weight. The only society I ever heard of obese (not simply overweight) women being prized was/is in Africa in some country.

But yeah... there is arguably some biological explanations behind what we typically find attractive on average.

But I think culture and media have a lot of influence too.

Given the way most women--even conservative women--dress today, I suspect most of them would have been regarded as "sluts" 100 or more years ago. You ever see some of the photos of immigrant European women out in the streets of cities circa 1990? They have long, loose dresses going down to their ankles, and a lot of them have their heads covered with a scarf to cover their hair for sake of modesty.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM

664 posts, read 1,036,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So have you ever thought that maybe your ideals of what is attractive is really not your ideals, for example, i grew up moving around alot being exposed to different cultures, religious beliefs, and families. I hardly watched t.v. As an adult I have alot of guys that are friends and sometimes we talk about you ladies, whats attractive, whats not etc. My friends mostly talk about the skinny, model type as being attractive etc, where im usually one of the lone guys that says i llke bbw ladies or, and nerd girls.I also like a few model type girls but mostly its ladies with more to love that i find attractive. I once asked my friends why they thought that models where more attractive or why they were attracted to the model type mostly and most of my friends just shrugged.

So do u think t.v. magazines, peer pressure etc influences what you find attractive, even on an unconscious level? And how does it influence u?
Society has nothing to do with my attraction. It's always almost the same woman, with a different name. They are almost identical even though their age can be up to 30 years +/- give or take apart. That 60 year old looks the same as that 25 year old physically. The things that don't change. They all seem to KNOW who they are. I gave a $5 tip to one today that cut my hair. I made her blush....

Old 06-01-2013, 02:24 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Society always influences people. You might be aware Black-American males (and often Latinos too) tend to more often like women with larger, rounder, butts than a lot of white males reared in non-Latino cultures.

In fact, there has been some things written on the Brazilian males emphasis on the woman's backside vs the long tradition in the U.S. of men placing emphasis on a woman's breast. Consequently, I have read in a book that it's much more common in Brazil than in the U.S. to see women photographed from behind.

What I learned about Sexual Selection theory is that among humans it's common for a guy approaching a woman at a table to have to be approved of by all the women, because the group will tell the woman he's approaching what to think of him.

So, yeah, people receive indoctrinations in the society they live in.

Grade schools and high schools can be some of the biggest centers of peer pressure. How many boys do you think will date the girl that all the other boys make fun of? And females typically like males that one or more other females are after or have. Reminds me of this woman that paid no attention to me at all until she saw this very attractive woman getting into my car. Then all of a sudden she's eying me up like I magically transformed into something worthwhile.

Quite an interesting (can't say phenomenon) occurrence. It happens a lot, though. In high school, one Asian lady seemed to be attracted to me, all of a sudden I had a ton of other friends and ladies interested in me.

Plus, in many different occasions, whenever a woman (often whom I'm attracted to), or women give me a lot of love, it seems like a lot of women are just more receptive to me.

There are a lot of factors at play that I can't be bothered to list all of. Some of it is the vibe you give off which is often a satisfied vibe. Another could be that the other women might be curious (depending on factors like relationship to the one attracted to you).

Old 06-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Quite an interesting (can't say phenomenon) occurrence. It happens a lot, though. In high school, one Asian lady seemed to be attracted to me, all of a sudden I had a ton of other friends and ladies interested in me.

Plus, in many different occasions, whenever a woman (often whom I'm attracted to), or women give me a lot of love, it seems like a lot of women are just more receptive to me.

There are a lot of factors at play that I can't be bothered to list all of. Some of it is the vibe you give off which is often a satisfied vibe. Another could be that the other women might be curious (depending on factors like relationship to the one attracted to you).
Yeah, I would think if you're comfortable and relaxed and give off the vibe that you're "not in need" of anyone... then you'll find more people attracted to you.

You have some women that will like how they like irrespective of what other women think. They are probably a very small minority though. At least in their younger years. I would think--or so it seems to me--women in their late 30s and 40s don't care as much about whether or not other women like the man they are considering.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI2070 View Post
Society has nothing to do with my attraction. I
That's impossible. We don't spontaneously develop preferences.

As a matter of fact, society has EVERYTHING to do with who you are.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
As a matter of fact, society has EVERYTHING to do with who you are.
Have you ever heard of genetics? It has a massive influence on the kind of person you will become
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty