U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,179,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I don't know. My bf is a manly man. He is not a girly man. He has it done with me. I imagine it feels just as good for him as it does for me. And it feels good!
That's very sweet.

Good for you all!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Good for you. I very much respect someone who shrugs off stereotypes about what is "suitable" per one's gender. I am female and have acted on this premise most of my life.

To your OP....I personally would not find a man who did manicures and pedicures or shaved off body hair and so on attractive. I tend towards more stereotypically masculine men (yes I realise that doesn't jibe with my beginning comment, but it is what it is) and besides, I imagine you would have very high grooming standards for your women and since I rarely if ever get pedicures or manicures, our chemistry score for each other would be about zero.

But that's OK. I'd find it a turn-off sexually or romantically, yes. But otherwise, I don't see a problem as long as you are comfortable with whatever you do.
Sort of but I'm really not that picky. I need to mention that I do not have anyone currently in my life. I guess you don't read my posts on the Relationship board, LOL.
It has gone up since I broke up with my ex mainly because she was a nail biter and that is a major turn-off to me. On a side note, so is bad teeth.

There is more to getting a pedicure than getting the nails trimmed. It good to get the dead skin scraped off from the bottom of your feet. It's the part I hate the most but I know it needs to be done.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,101,289 times
Quote:
My SO and I go together and he gets his toes done and has held on to his man card even still. Of course he doesn't get anything painted.

You know you can get your nails buffed as well and come out with almost the same result.
Quote:
I don't know. My bf is a manly man. He is not a girly man. He has it done with me. I imagine it feels just as good for him as it does for me. And it feels good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Sort of but I'm really not that picky. I need to mention that I do not have anyone currently in my life. I guess you don't read my posts on the Relationship board, LOL.
It has gone up since I broke up with my ex mainly because she was a nail biter and that is a major turn-off to me. On a side note, so is bad teeth.

There is more to getting a pedicure than getting the nails trimmed. It good to get the dead skin scraped off from the bottom of your feet. It's the part I hate the most but I know it needs to be done.
I don't see a problem with it AT ALL. I think it is akin to part of a great grooming routine and it DOES feel great after it is done. So...there!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,067,915 times
Quote:

You broke up with your ex because she bit her nails? I am guessing this was not a serious relationship. At least I hope not; bitten nails as a primary reason for breaking up with someone seems pretty insane to me.

I don't like the calloused skin scraped off of my soles and don't feel it "needs to be done." In fact I would probably smack anyone that tried to do that to my feet, it sounds horrid. I am able to run on gravel barefoot because I like to be fully functional and THAT feels good to me.

I pretty much stay away from the Relationships forum. So I know nothing about you except what you've posted in this thread. I gather you are picky LOL.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM

606 posts, read 592,679 times
Quote:
I really need to get this done. I am a man too, and I have never gone to get a pedicure. I don't even need them to cut my toenails, I can do that LOL! But I have super dry/calloused heels/feet. Sometimes when I can't stand it I'll take a sharp knife or a razor blade and I can spend a good hour shaving off dead skin but I never get anywhere near close to all of it. And then it always comes back.

Would a pedicure be my best bet? I would give one of those asian girls twice what they normally charge if they really can get all that dried calloused skin off my heels/feet.

Or would I be better off just going to a podiatrist? I have good health insurance (United Healthcare), but I don't know if that would cover podiatry... I have a feeling that a podiatrist could do everything a pedicure girl could do for me and more (for my purposes).

What do you guys think?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You broke up with your ex because she bit her nails? I am guessing this was not a serious relationship. At least I hope not; bitten nails as a primary reason for breaking up with someone seems pretty insane to me.

I don't like the calloused skin scraped off of my soles and don't feel it "needs to be done." In fact I would probably smack anyone that tried to do that to my feet, it sounds horrid. I am able to run on gravel barefoot because I like to be fully functional and THAT feels good to me.

I pretty much stay away from the Relationships forum. So I know nothing about you except what you've posted in this thread. I gather you are picky LOL.
Oh my gosh, NO!!!

She left ME! I hate to get off topic here but she wanted to live out her fantasy of having sex with Asian men. She cheated on me.

I didn't mean for it to come out that way and I still don't think it did. I just mentioned that I hated the fact that she did it, that's all. I think you need to re-read it but I can see how you took it out of context. We were together for 8 years, married for 6.

I have read your opinion of the Relationship board from other posters. It's not for everyone. I made my debut on this part of the forum today (Monday) but I have been around City Data since January, 2012.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I really need to get this done. I am a man too, and I have never gone to get a pedicure. I don't even need them to cut my toenails, I can do that LOL! But I have super dry/calloused heels/feet. Sometimes when I can't stand it I'll take a sharp knife or a razor blade and I can spend a good hour shaving off dead skin but I never get anywhere near close to all of it. And then it always comes back.

Would a pedicure be my best bet? I would give one of those asian girls twice what they normally charge if they really can get all that dried calloused skin off my heels/feet.

Or would I be better off just going to a podiatrist? I have good health insurance (United Healthcare), but I don't know if that would cover podiatry... I have a feeling that a podiatrist could do everything a pedicure girl could do for me and more (for my purposes).

What do you guys think?
Most if not all nail salons do this. Why wouldn't you want to get the toenails clipped while you are there? That is part of getting a pedicure at the salons I go to but it is an extra $5.00. I do that everytime I get a pedicure which is once every 6 weeks. I suggest you give it a try but you might want to ask around. Speaking of my fingernails only I have had some jobs done before that were not up to my standards. Some will do a better job than others. You may get lucky with the first place you go to.

I would not go to a podiatrist. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper too. If she has a lot of work to do just give her an extra tip for the service.

The manicurist I see also takes care of my ingrown toenails and she doesn't even charge me for it. Thankfully I haven't had a problem with that lately.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM

17,269 posts, read 11,842,036 times
I think it is a good habit, but I am too old fashioned for men coming out with nail polish. But a pedi/mani where you lose dead skin, trim nails, clean up your cuticles (with an added bonus of a massage), why would you not get one! My local pedi places have men all the time!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it is a good habit, but I am too old fashioned for men coming out with nail polish. But a pedi/mani where you lose dead skin, trim nails, clean up your cuticles (with an added bonus of a massage), why would you not get one! My local pedi places have men all the time!
Are you including clear? They make my nails look super clean and I like that. Clean is good, so is being well groomed. I can't understand why that is a turnoff for many but whatever.

About 90% of the time I go I am the only man in there. This has been going on for 6 years and while I pretty much only go to one now I have been to different salons in the past. It could be my area or just the East Coast.

Last edited by John13; 06-04-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM

1,503 posts, read 855,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Have to disagree with the assertion "All men get their hair cut."
That's like saying "all women get their nails done".
My ex-husband didn't get his hair "cut" (at a shop, by somebody else, for money)-
he shaved his head with electric clippers every few months.
I cannot believe he is the sole exception.

But it seems a bit off-topic, anyway...

Shaving you head is a hair cut. It is just cut to the skin. I can't believe you posted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty