U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times

Advertisements

As summer dawns upon us, I have been wearing less clothes (to state the obvious ).

I'll wear a cotton t-shirt with shorts or a maxi dress with wedges.

My body has changed a bit, I have gained about 10 pounds and I'm in my mid 20s and my body has just changed since I was 20. I wear a size 4. Sometimes I buy size 6 if I want a loose look because I don't want to look sexy/curvy all the time.

I am self conscious at my commuter college because of my body. I always feel like I have to hide my chest in loose shirts or my butt with long shirts. I end up just feeling dowdy and frumpy . Also, when I wear looser or longer clothes it adds like 5 pounds on me.

If I wear clothes that fit me properly, I get too much attention and looks from the men in the classroom and I feel like the other women judge me.

I have been getting a lot of looks from strangers lately. It seems like almost every male I pass is checking me out. I try to dress conservatively but I hate feeling like I have to hide my body. I don't like how women are conditioned since we are little girls that we have to hide our bodies or be ashamed of them if we aren't small chested and rail thin with small hips.

I noticed my only curvy friend always wears baggy tops. She isn't fat she just has huge boobs.

I'm a 32DDD 38-28-39 and I want to wear cute clothes that every other 24 year old woman wears but I don't know if the attention is because I look slutty in anything that is fitted because of my shape or its just because I look good?

Hourglass ladies: Should we cover up more or just accept the looks and glances? What do you do?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,626,989 times
I think there is a middle ground here. Buying clothes that *fit* does not mean you have to have things tight.

Have you ever watched the show What Not to Wear? they have had plenty of women on that show with large breasts, and they have lots of suggestions for dressing to flatter that particular body type.

I just don't believe that the options are as absolute as you present them here - loose and "dowdy" or tight and attention getting.

Ha, this is prefect: What Not To Wear: How to Dress a Large Bust : Video : TLC

Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I think there is a middle ground here. Buying clothes that *fit* does not mean you have to have things tight.

Have you ever watched the show What Not to Wear? they have had plenty of women on that show with large breasts, and they have lots of suggestions for dressing to flatter that particular body type.

I just don't believe that the options are as absolute as you present them here - loose and "dowdy" or tight and attention getting.

Ha, this is prefect: What Not To Wear: How to Dress a Large Bust : Video : TLC
Thanks and I love that show but that video kind of goes along with what I was saying. The video a "how can I camouflage a big bust" video. At least those are the words that came out of the man's mouth. Does that mean in order to be classy with a naturally large bust and small waist, we must "camouflage" it?

I like to avoid tight tops but I prefer to have something fitted vs. loose. Is fitted = tight?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
I think yolo is appropriate here. Wear what you like. Wear what fits.

But be cognizant in certain environments (like work) people will perceive you a certain way because of your body type so err on the side of conservative there. Think sheath dresses not scoop necks in a business professional environment.

What we really need to do is train boys to keep their eyes to themselves instead of putting the onus on women to stay "covered"

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

But be cognizant in certain environments (like work) people will perceive you a certain way because of your body type so err on the side of conservative there. Think sheath dresses not scoop necks in a business professional environment.

What we really need to do is train boys to keep their eyes to themselves instead of putting the onus on women to stay "covered"

Yep.

I basically wear what I want, though I err towards a bit more modesty. I simply can't wear the things my sister wears because she's a 34B and I'm a 36H, even though we wear the same size. She can get away with cute summer dresses, I can't.

Of course, since I'm also tall I have a feeling I'd get stared at either way so I don't worry about it as much.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
I avoid boob shirts. Anything that seems like a boob shirt can be balanced to not look quite as dramatic with light weight scarves that bring the focus up to the face. Light weight things over a tight shirt also make it look less dramatic without looking schlubby. For example a thin t or tank with a somewhat fitted blouse over it keeps you looking balanced as long as the waist of the shirt is nipped in a bit. I leave the top and bottom buttons undone so I don't look like a block. I avoid low cuts and cleavage. I think most people are just built with a more strait look. If you don't have that or if you are wearing over an inch of cleavage you are going to get looks.

I go for low key makeup too in anything that accentuates shape.

Its not classy to scream for attention. That is what they mean by that. Tight tops/pants/heavy makeup are screamers.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
How is 38-28-39 a size 4?? How is it even a size 6? Are you short, OP?

I've always worn tunics to cover my rear. They happen to be in style currently, too. They can look great with shorts or a short skirt or a skort. You can find sleeveless (for summer) collared button-down blouses with not much tailoring and a longer look (shirt tails out) in catalogues and at JC Penney. Avoid knits, they cling to the body. This is definitely doable. You just have to shop around and experiment.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Oh yes, large bust in office attire is a whole 'nother story. What kind of outfits do you avoid on weekends? Or are you doing the yolo thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yep.

I basically wear what I want, though I err towards a bit more modesty. I simply can't wear the things my sister wears because she's a 34B and I'm a 36H, even though we wear the same size. She can get away with cute summer dresses, I can't.

Of course, since I'm also tall I have a feeling I'd get stared at either way so I don't worry about it as much.
How do you dress with a 36H? I'm assuming you're an hourglass/fit. I feel like I wouldn't know what to wear. I can barely find stuff that "works" as a 32DDD.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I avoid boob shirts. Anything that seems like a boob shirt can be balanced to not look quite as dramatic with light weight scarves that bring the focus up to the face. Light weight things over a tight shirt also make it look less dramatic without looking schlubby. For example a thin t or tank with a somewhat fitted blouse over it keeps you looking balanced as long as the waist of the shirt is nipped in a bit. I leave the top and bottom buttons undone so I don't look like a block. I avoid low cuts and cleavage. I think most people are just built with a more strait look. If you don't have that or if you are wearing over an inch of cleavage you are going to get looks.

I go for low key makeup too in anything that accentuates shape.

Its not classy to scream for attention. That is what they mean by that. Tight tops/pants/heavy makeup are screamers.

I like the scarf or light weight thing over a tight shirt. I also aim for one inch cleavage max. but sometimes it is hard to control and a non-booby shirt turns into one

By low key make-up what do you mean?

I usually wear a neutral eye shadow, liner, mascara, and a natural blush. Clear or pink gloss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How is 38-28-39 a size 4?? How is it even a size 6? Are you short, OP?

I've always worn tunics to cover my rear. They happen to be in style currently, too. They can look great with shorts or a short skirt or a skort. You can find sleeveless (for summer) collared button-down blouses with not much tailoring and a longer look (shirt tails out) in catalogues and at JC Penney. Avoid knits, they cling to the body. This is definitely doable. You just have to shop around and experiment.
I'm 5'4". I know 28 sounds big but I have high up hip bones and a short torso

kind of like this woman's torso: What Looks Great on Your Hourglass Shape - Beauty Style - Health.com

I'm a size 4 at Ann Taylor and at places that run small I'm a size 6/28 like Guess.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Oh yes, large bust in office attire is a whole 'nother story. What kind of outfits do you avoid on weekends? Or are you doing the yolo thing?

How do you dress with a 36H? I'm assuming you're an hourglass/fit. I feel like I wouldn't know what to wear. I can barely find stuff that "works" as a 32DDD.
I am in the same bust neighborhood as Jet, but I only have a one size difference from bottom to top.

Weekend? Dresses, dresses and more dresses. I look for fit and flare ones with wider straps so I don't have to suffer with a strapless bra.

My overall style is preppy/classic. Knit pencil skirts and blouses with a modest scoop neck. Pants with a nice top and a cardigan.

Where I live it is only hot enough for shorts like 2x a year so I use dresses on those days.

Look for stuff cut with a bustier fit model. I find brands like Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor and Express have bustier fit models. H&M doesn't. So if my 32ddd friend is buying the large then I have no hope at 34h. :P

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.