Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,353,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Who exactly "expects" it of her?
I guess that's the difference between a kept woman and one who makes her own $$.
Maybe they just know that attractive women especially but even men to an extent get greated much better in general. If I went into a job interview against some fat slob and we interviewed the same, I would probably win that interview 9x out of 10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,003,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Who exactly "expects" it of her?
I guess that's the difference between a kept woman and one who makes her own $$.
The circles she is a part of (high society). It's just a way of life for them (not mine).

Old 06-10-2013, 02:58 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,764,883 times
Even women who make their own money need to look pretty.
If I came in the hospital with no make up on,people will ask me if I'm tired.
I have dark circles,so I'm not using makeup to look pretty. I just want to look less tired and more fresh faced.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,764,883 times
So,someone wrote me comment in the rep section:

Take a look back,and see how sad what you wrote sounds..

Its sad,but I don't make the rules.
Parents don't even want to deal with their non pretty children.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,556,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Huh?

You do realize that white teeth come from good dental hygiene, flossing and brushing several times daily, which is healthy...

Actually human teeth come in very different shades regardless of personal hygiene. I have brushed my teeth after each meal since I was a tot and had teeth to brush, and I even carry a toothbrush to use after snacks if needed. I see a dentist regularly and my teeth and gum are in great condition. I have incredibly strong and healthy teeth but they are ivory in colour. Unless I bleach them which is un-natural and to me completely un-necessary my teeth will never be white or glow in the dark.... Some people are born with very white teeth other with much darker creamy coloured ones. It has nothing to do with oral hygiene. Having ivory teeth does not mean you are lax when it comes to oral hygiene, or smoke or drink lots of tea/coffee.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,556,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
why do women want to look pretty and more attractive? is it not enough to be healthy and disease-free? why do they want to have bleach white teeth, blemish and wrinkle-free skin and toned and athletic legs instead of a healthy body with a reasonable BMI?

Because sadly everything in society these days is about appearance rather health. I know a lot of people who are thin and toned and lead incredibly unhealthy lifestyles (drink, smoke, drugs, eat lots of junk) but are considered far "better" and more "worthy" individuals than people who might be outwardly less appealing due to not being quite as "perfect" physically and yet lead incredibly healthy lives and are in perfect shape.

Our looks have become a commodity. We are judged on how we look not our brains or our character. Sad I agree but true. And as humans crave being liked that means most people (and not just women) try their hardest to fit the mould created for us by society. We are living in a highly sexualised, highly visual time, with a celebrity culture which is skin deep literally, style over substance.

Constantly bombarded with images of "perfection" which are nothing but when you start realising what it takes to make those images like airbrushing and other techniques.

Idealised versions of ourselves are a constant reminded of our failures and failings to meet expectations which to me is incredibly unhealthy.

I think most of us do like to look our best but when it becomes an obsession and the only criteria we use to judge people then I think we have lost the plot.

I am very feminine and I like dressing up, wearing make-up and perfume. Because it makes ME feel better. But I refuse to worry about every line on my face or the fact that I am not and never was supermodel material.

I am growing older as we all are and I have no problem with wrinkles and scars, they are all part of my history . I think trying to look your best and making an effort is a good thing , it tends to give most of us a boost of self confidence but there is a line which you cross where you become a slave to your looks and that to me is ridiculous.

I also have a deep antipathy for people who decry those people who do not play the game and are happy with the way they look. As far as I am concerned, good on them and kudos for having the guts to resist this never ending pressure to conform.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,255,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
why do women want to look pretty and more attractive? is it not enough to be healthy and disease-free? why do they want to have bleach white teeth, blemish and wrinkle-free skin and toned and athletic legs instead of a healthy body with a reasonable BMI?

Women enjoy taking care of themselves beyond working to have a reasonable BMI; its just what the majority of us do. I take care of myself physically but won't miss an appointment at the manicurist for my nails and a Pedicure..nothing like it. You get the body in a good healthy state then after all the hard work to get in good shape, you reward yourself with a trip to the hairdresser, manicurist, shopping, perhaps buy some new perfume. Its all about preference. If as a woman a person is content to stop with a great workout and a hot shower afterwards, then good for them. I just think that seeing a woman who is in shape perhaps trouncing around in the grocery store in pajama bottoms and a t shirt with flip flops on just takes away from the fact that she has worked so hard to be in good shape. If you got it flaunt it..be proud of how hard you have worked.
To each their own...personally, I have spent most of my adult life working to look good both physically as well as with all the POOFINESS to go with it. I want to look good for my husband and would wear a SNOWSUIT before I would be caught out and about with pajama bottoms on! It does mattter and there is nothing wrong with having a little pride in yourself.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Even women who make their own money need to look pretty.
If I came in the hospital with no make up on,people will ask me if I'm tired.
I have dark circles,so I'm not using makeup to look pretty. I just want to look less tired and more fresh faced.
There's a difference between "looking pretty" high maintenance crap and not looking like the creature from the black lagoon.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
If as a woman a person is content to stop with a great workout and a hot shower afterwards, then good for them. I just think that seeing a woman who is in shape perhaps trouncing around in the grocery store in pajama bottoms and a t shirt with flip flops on just takes away from the fact that she has worked so hard to be in good shape. If you got it flaunt it..be proud of how hard you have worked.
To each their own...personally, I have spent most of my adult life working to look good both physically as well as with all the POOFINESS to go with it. I want to look good for my husband and would wear a SNOWSUIT before I would be caught out and about with pajama bottoms on! It does mattter and there is nothing wrong with having a little pride in yourself.
Why are the only choices pajamas or a cocktail dress?
I am content with a great workout, a hot shower, and a pair of jeans.
I make my body strong and fit for me, not to put on a show.
I think people like this get too much of their validation from external sources.
If that's what it takes to make you feel important and secure, so be it.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,171,925 times
Because It's about being in position to land the best possible mate. It has nothing to do with "health" lol, there's a reason many women stop taking care of their bodies when they get into LTR's and marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty