U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 AM

517 posts, read 714,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm a bit confused. First, you asked what size SOMEONE smaller than "31/33-23/25-33/35" and "4'11, 93 pounds" would wear. But, then you say YOU'RE "5'1" and 101 lbs, and 36.5-24-33." These 2 people would, likely, not be wearing the same size, as least for tops and dresses. A bust size of 36.5 precludes this. Yet, you said a "double zero" worked.

The first example/size may have to hit up higher end stores, which tend to run a bit smaller, or search the children's section. They should be able to find something that fits. Whether or not it's age/occasion appropriate is another story. White House/Black Market is one of my favorites. I've seen women under 5' in XXXS tops and 00 dresses that fit fine, as long as they aren't floor length.

The second example, especially if you're saying is an inverted pear shape, well, I'm surprised is getting into a double zero.

I have some other ideas, but they are dependent on whether or not you are petite and curvy (not code for fat, I really mean curvy), or petite and slight.

So, which measurement are you working with? What is your fitting problem? Are the dresses too long? Not fitting across the bust?
My mom is smaller than me. Lol. She's 4'11" 93 lbs 31-23-33.
Also I'm not curvy. Your hips have to curve if you're curvy. Mind don't.
I kind of find it annoying that people assume I'm curvy just because I have a D cup.
My hips are small and so is the rest of me. My chest can widthwize fit fit usually what other women can fit that's why with bras it's not that much of a struggle but the rest of me would drown in a shirt. I do alright in junior's small extra small if I want to seem more "busty" or medium to have it a little baggy. But women's sizes I always end up drowning and with dresses it gets worst because I'm too short no hips and my limbs and stomach are to thin.

I'm an inverted triangle that mean I have no hips I have a kinda large bust and huge shoulders for a petite size. I usually though fit into dresses design for pears the same size just distributed differently. Which doesn't actually compliment my top heavy figure but I think this is why that time I could fit that dress that was a 0 because my chest tends to help me fit into certain sizes.

I'm 5'1". Also I'm talking about dresses because this for me is a bit more tricky for me than shirts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 AM

Btw I actually do fit the the same clothing as my mom. When I lived with her she knew to keep her clothing away because I can't tell the difference with her clothing and mine. They look the same to me. I have extra small shirts. And we have similar jean size 1-0 in juniors.
Only difference is I look busty and she doesn't. Well honestly at her size she has all push up bras so they bring her to a "B" cup. So actually we both look busty I just look exaggerated.
I can also fit clothing she can't fit. A matter of fact the green tank top was hers extra small funny thing is I'm wearing it right now too lol.

Now that I think of it I think the dress was junior's Js.

Also another fitting problem with my tops is although I am endowed I am short if cleavage is made for the average woman I'll likely be exposed in my chest area I can sustain more than my mom can but its still an issue.

Last edited by kitgirl11; 06-17-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Uniqlo is your pants store. The assume women have a higher waist hip ratio than most brands, and length alterations are free.
I've heard of this place idk how I'll look it up and tell you what I think of it.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM

571 posts, read 946,613 times
sounds like you need to find a particular "style" of dress that will fit you well.

Women who dress well come to know what looks best on them. For example:
1) Wrap dress
2) V neck
3) Empire waist
4) Drop waist
5) Length (above knee, mid-calf, maxi)
6) Pleats or no pleats?
7) Belts or no belts (and if yes, thin or wide?)
8) Turtleneck?
9) Round neck?
10) Collared?

Within the choices above, you need to find your ideal fabric. You have to know your body, know what looks great on you. Some women swear by jersey fabrics while others prefer a cotton/spandex blend, etc., etc.

Size matters, but the style of dress probably matters more. Wrap dresses are magical on most women and can be accessorized to look elegant, casual or work appropriate.

You'll need to spend some time trying things on and figuring out your style, not just your size.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,955,489 times

lol... I have no idea and I find size 0 too funny since I am foreigner. That is like dressing a ghost, lol

In my country small people either use kids clothes or they order their clothes from someone who can sew. Many women also buy too small clothes when they have this obsession to make them fit into smallest sizes. Many times when they ask from a shop keeper if that dress looks good I want to say "take a bigger size". Once one lady got hardly a zipper closed and whined why shoulders are so tight in her size.. Cheese, take a bigger size

Also, we have 3 -lenght pattern system, sizes are same but it is either short, normal or tall -group.

Last edited by soUlwounD; 06-17-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
My grandmother was very slender and about 5' tall. She bought most of her clothes in the kids section. When she got older, she had a dowager's hump, and she had to buy women's small shirts and have them altered to fit properly (sleeves shortened, a pleat made in the back at the waist).

Dresses are tricky for shorter people...my daughter is about 5'1" and 110 lbs. Women's dresses have the bust too low, and often the neckline is too low also.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,811,795 times
I don't think anyone on a message board can tell you your size? It's best to try on, get fitted.
I don't have ONE size. I have clothes in a large range of size. I'm 5'1", but I might wear a size 5, but often they are all too long. I have to hem, going down a size doesn't help.
I don't know my measurements, I know I'm DD though. I have pants in size 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10... I dunno, but each store and brand often are made different. At one store you might be one size, another something totally different.
I find pants to be tight on legs but really huge on the stomach. But someone else my height and measurements might fit in them just fine or the opposite. Depends on the cut of the dress too.
I know all about being "exposed". I have that problem too, and being petite. But I just have to go try things on until I find things that fit. I don't have one size, never have. My shirts are small, medium, large, extra large. No kidding, I have tops in all 4 sizes. I can't imagine having "One size" in anything!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Well, are we talking about a short skinny person or a short fat person?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM

312 posts, read 498,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
I'm just wondering. I've never really known my dress size because its like growing up my mom was short so were family members on her side so I've never really thought they existed really. But like what do women under 5 ft wear when it comes to dress sizes. I've heard a 0 for an average sized person the body measurements have to be at least a 31/33-23/25-33/35. What would a woman with smaller size get when it comes to dress sizes? Like what if she's 31-23-33 and 4'11" and 93 lbs. what dress size would that be what's less than 0? I've tried a double 0 it worked for me but I'm 5'1" and 101 lbs 36.5-24-33. So what dress sizes are for shorter women? Like below 5 ft?
I would say try Ann Taylor stores. They have a section for petite women from size 0P in store. If 0P doesn't fit you, they have 00p or XXSP online.
This store might be a little price though, but you can get some good deals in their sale section! There is also the Ann taylor Loft (their sister store), much cheaper. You should be able to find petite sizes there without any pbs!
Good luck!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Basically, you're just saying you're short and topheavy. You'll probably have to buy dresses to fit your chest and have them altered to fit he rest of you. You may not be a standard size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty