U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times

Advertisements

You're lucky to have hair that's a pretty color naturally.

My hair has always been a nasty, grayish brown. I've been coloring it since I was 16. My sister has hair the same color and is very proud that she's never colored it, but honestly I've enjoyed the different shades I've colored my hair and my hair is in better condition than hers, so to each their own, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,298,929 times
I'm about to turn 35 and have never died my hair but as soon as I get grey I am going to. I don't mind the color of my hair and actually as I have aged it has become a lighter brown where it used to be a much darker brown.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,951,601 times
I didn't use color till I was in my 50s. It wasn't due to greying, as I had only a few strands of silver. The reason I did was to help strengthen my hair; I have fibromyalgia and several other chronic illnesses, which result in my hair being very brittle and often unmanageable; four decades, it's been waistlength. I use a color that matches my color as closely as possible (coppery auburn). With color, less hair comes out when I brush, and there's much less breakage; also, it is much more manageable and doesn't tie itself in knots when I sleep restlessly.

I would be happy with the silver "highlights", as it looks very pretty against the auburn. But, it's nice to have hair that is closer to what it always was.

I never permed or did anything extra. Even as a teen in the Sixties, about all I did was to wrap my hair or put it on extra-large curlers to try to straighten it.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 AM

335 posts, read 561,537 times
i color my hair . Most women who want to look youthful once they see greys do so. It also makes older hair much stronger since we get older hair gets thinner.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,582,673 times
I think virgin hair is overrated personally, I love a good color job. And no to gray, for me anyways.

Op has pretty hair tho, so it's ok in her case.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
i color my hair . Most women who want to look youthful once they see greys do so. It also makes older hair much stronger since we get older hair gets thinner.
Not sure how much I agree with this, I don't think I look old and I have grey hairs....

Old 06-22-2013, 01:35 PM

832 posts, read 1,312,968 times
Yes I have "virgin" hair. And I'm proud of it! People can tell it's my hair too, and that makes it even better. I think we are all born with a certain "coloring," that the tones in our hair-skin-eyes-etc. have a particular way of coming together and it's much, much better left natural! I just added that point because I see so many women (and some men too!) dying their hair outrageous shades of black, red and blonde when they would look better if they left it alone. They are attempting to look natural...so I don't know why they don't just leave it natural. But I am clueless about that stuff. I don't see a need for covering grey hairs and whatnot. What is wrong with grey? Some ladies at work have full heads of grey hair and I want to do the same when I'm old.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:54 PM

149 posts, read 171,753 times
Wait ... perhaps I misread the OP.

Did she get a perm in the 80's?

I thought perms "de-virginize" a hair.

Back to lurking here now!

Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
How exactly does coloring hair make it stronger? I have never heard that before.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,582,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Yes I have "virgin" hair. And I'm proud of it! People can tell it's my hair too, and that makes it even better. I think we are all born with a certain "coloring," that the tones in our hair-skin-eyes-etc. have a particular way of coming together and it's much, much better left natural! I just added that point because I see so many women (and some men too!) dying their hair outrageous shades of black, red and blonde when they would look better if they left it alone. They are attempting to look natural...so I don't know why they don't just leave it natural. But I am clueless about that stuff. I don't see a need for covering grey hairs and whatnot. What is wrong with grey? Some ladies at work have full heads of grey hair and I want to do the same when I'm old.
You don't have to be old to get grey hair. Unless you consider 20s old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or