U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times

Advertisements

I was responding to another thread and I mentioned a pattern on how and which people approach me based on my outfit. And in general, their outfit can be telling as well.

To make it easy, I will try and use celebrity examples to illustrate the clothing examples.
If I have on a Michelle Obama/Kate Middleton like outfit, here are the types of people who hit on me:
  • well dressed older men: respectful approach
  • sloppily dressed older men: sketchy approach
  • preppy men my age: no discernible pattern, just normal approach
Gym clothes
  • 100% crappy approaches. Almost always something lewd or borderline
Casual outfit sort of like Katie Holmes on the weekend
  • A full range of people and approaches, no discernible pattern
If I "approach," I tend to chat up people who have a sense of style and interesting accessories. You can almost always break the ice by commenting on someone's watch.

What do you notice?

P.S. This isn't gender specific so chime in about who you approach, their outfits and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM

17,868 posts, read 17,077,065 times
I can't answer this. I don't know what will make me approach another woman, since I haven't approached anyone in a long time.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,845 times
I don't approach people either, and I really don't based on their clothes or accessories.
I don't notice a pattern based on those that approach me either. It depends more on where I am and the environment.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 PM

343 posts, read 312,713 times
In this part of country - no clothes pattern and almost no approaches...Like all men are scared or something...I do not know what is wrong here.
It is different story in one large city in Midwest... A lot of interest from older white collar guys...Very open men, smiling a lot, easy start a conversation...

Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 AM

3,469 posts, read 6,936,522 times
I don't notice a difference.

I tend to prefer more offbeat, girly & arty styles, and tend to dress up over dressing down. If I happen to run out in a more low-key look, I may get less looks but don't seem more approachable. Generally, I don't appear to be approachable, for whatever reason (closed demeanor I guess).

Sometimes my clothes are a conversation starter, but much more so with other women.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM

19 posts, read 42,223 times
I did not pay particular attention to these, as long as they dress can be relatively clean and tidy, I will be willing to talk with them.I think the main character is still the feel to the man.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:04 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,030,690 times
I definitely see a difference in who approaches me, based on how I'm dressed.

The more well-dressed, conservatively and professionally my clothing is (elegant dresses; suits; heels, pantyhose)-- , the more the men who approach me are conservative, professional, my age or older and respectful in their approach.

Casual clothing (sundresses, khakis, jeans) brings a mixed bag of men approaching me. They range from the same-age to older, professionals to the more artsy and blue-collar types. They're mostly respectful in their approach, too.

Gym clothes (huge, long t-shirts with yoga pants or spandex shorts) attract the least desirable men, or no men. Often these men don't say anything, but the way they look says it all. The ones who do speak usually have something silly or borderline rude to say. These men often look scuzzy.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM

72,676 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
In this part of country - no clothes pattern and almost no approaches...Like all men are scared or something...I do not know what is wrong here.
This seems common in much of the US. Two exceptions being: California and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty