Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times

Advertisements

This issue is cultural so there is no right or wrong answer. I've lived in both urban and rural environments. The metrosexual lifestyle is more prevalent in upscale urban environments particularly on the coasts. In wealthy urban metropolitan areas, women typically prefer metrosexual men thus the reason most men in these environments adopt that lifestyle. Outside of these environments, the metrosexual lifestyle may be seen as being "gay" or "sissy" In rural or blue collar environments, the metrosexual lifestyle doesn't seem to be well accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In rural or blue collar environments, the metrosexual lifestyle doesn't seem to be well accepted.
Since the trendy urban bourgeois male can't compete with rural or blue collar men in the traditional physical masculine competition (he does no physically rigorous work that inures him to hardship and makes him strong nor does he face physical danger at work) he invents his own style of masculinity and then pretends he isn't competing. But then why would he go to the gym to gain strength he doesn't need and endure hardships he can avoid? Because he IS competing.

Same game, different style of play. Winning still means dominating other men and winning attractive sexual partners.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,067,815 times
Ugh. I married one. Never ever ever ever (times infinity) again. He was a really great guy, very nice. But man, WAY too into his clothes, looks, himself, etc. I've always been a tomboy, so when I can say I'm WAY more man than him, that's just pathetic. He hated getting his hands dirty (oh the horrors!). Bleah. After awhile, I just lost all respect for him as a man.

Funny thing, I know why he's like that too. His mom is the main player in his life. His mom is very critical of physical looks and is constantly pointing out what other people are doing wrong, or that they look bad. Obviously, growing up with that, you can imagine the impact it has. He was told, at age 8, that he could NOT go outside and play in a t-shirt and shorts. Nope. Mom made him go inside, put on a nicer pair of shorts and a polo shirt. Yes, a POLO SHIRT. At AGE EIGHT!!!! WTF!

At 40+ years of age. His mom tells him he's fat, that he should lose weight. That his hair is too long, too short, wrong color (yes, he highlights his tips - yes, I just said it). His eyebrows are too bushy. He needs to take care of his skin. Blah blah blah. I can only imagine the things she said about me.

I feel sorry for him. His life is all about matching his shoes to his belt.

And with that, I found me a nice gruff manly man. A retrosexual if you will (loved that post btw).

Lastly, my friend is placing bets on when he'll finally come out of the closet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Ugh. I married one. Never ever ever ever (times infinity) again. He was a really great guy, very nice. But man, WAY too into his clothes, looks, himself, etc. I've always been a tomboy, so when I can say I'm WAY more man than him, that's just pathetic. He hated getting his hands dirty (oh the horrors!). Bleah. After awhile, I just lost all respect for him as a man.

Funny thing, I know why he's like that too. His mom is the main player in his life. His mom is very critical of physical looks and is constantly pointing out what other people are doing wrong, or that they look bad. Obviously, growing up with that, you can imagine the impact it has. He was told, at age 8, that he could NOT go outside and play in a t-shirt and shorts. Nope. Mom made him go inside, put on a nicer pair of shorts and a polo shirt. Yes, a POLO SHIRT. At AGE EIGHT!!!! WTF!

At 40+ years of age. His mom tells him he's fat, that he should lose weight. That his hair is too long, too short, wrong color (yes, he highlights his tips - yes, I just said it). His eyebrows are too bushy. He needs to take care of his skin. Blah blah blah. I can only imagine the things she said about me.

I feel sorry for him. His life is all about matching his shoes to his belt.

And with that, I found me a nice gruff manly man. A retrosexual if you will (loved that post btw).

Lastly, my friend is placing bets on when he'll finally come out of the closet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Totally agree with you BUT, I have to leap to the defense of matching shoes with belts, socks with shoe or hem color, wool suits, 100% cotton dress shirts, silk ties, etc.

Let me start by saying that I am a retrosexual, former ranch hand, former soldier, former cop, gun lover (but not wacko by any means), outdoor adorer, etc. My last 20 working years were spent in the wonderful world of CA politics and legislation where I was expected to dress well while meeting with members of the legislature, their staffs, testifying before policy and fiscal committees in the Capitol, etc. Consequently, I "dressed for success." While costly, it had the desired effect.

Now, happily retired on a lakeshore in the Ozarks I no longer have a suit to my name and my normal attire is shorts and a tee-shirt, jeans, and outdoor clothing appropriate to the weather, topography and activity. All those expensive and well tailored clothes I donated to a clothes closet for people trying to return to the work force after layoffs, major illnesses and other issues.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,559,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Totally agree with you BUT, I have to leap to the defense of matching shoes with belts, socks with shoe or hem color, wool suits, 100% cotton dress shirts, silk ties, etc.

Let me start by saying that I am a retrosexual, former ranch hand, former soldier, former cop, gun lover (but not wacko by any means), outdoor adorer, etc. My last 20 working years were spent in the wonderful world of CA politics and legislation where I was expected to dress well while meeting with members of the legislature, their staffs, testifying before policy and fiscal committees in the Capitol, etc. Consequently, I "dressed for success." While costly, it had the desired effect.

Now, happily retired on a lakeshore in the Ozarks I no longer have a suit to my name and my normal attire is shorts and a tee-shirt, jeans, and outdoor clothing appropriate to the weather, topography and activity. All those expensive and well tailored clothes I donated to a clothes closet for people trying to return to the work force after layoffs, major illnesses and other issues.
That is different. You were probably not sitting in front of a mirror and plucking your eyebrows, putting on facials, and doing your fingernails and toes. This is exactly what my daughter's boyfriend does. She complains that he would rather spend time with his best friend, who she calls a queen. I don't have the heart to tell her that her boyfriend is probably gay. She says he is metrosexual. Oh yeah, that's it.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That is different. You were probably not sitting in front of a mirror and plucking your eyebrows, putting on facials, and doing your fingernails and toes. This is exactly what my daughter's boyfriend does. She complains that he would rather spend time with his best friend, who she calls a queen. I don't have the heart to tell her that her boyfriend is probably gay. She says he is metrosexual. Oh yeah, that's it.
love it !!

But she is in for a rude awakening, and i believe you are correct.

and just one oither thing, If i may. not all gay men are into metrosexual looking crap.

there are also a lot of gay men that look like regular men.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I do hear a closet door opening! As for the rest, I'm too old and ugly to stand in front of a mirror for very long.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Nothing's wrong with matching the shoes with the belt.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,108 times
Just a bunch of sissy corn holing *******.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,527,526 times
Some of you are going way off the end here.....i am a guy who likes to dress nice, but i also enjoy sports, do yard work, fix stuff around my house, etc....i'm straight too...not all guys who like to dress up are gay...far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty