U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Some of you are going way off the end here.....i am a guy who likes to dress nice, but i also enjoy sports, do yard work, fix stuff around my house, etc....i'm straight too...not all guys who like to dress up are gay...far from it.
I don't think most intelligent, discerning people think they are. A lot of us who take or took pride in dressing well simply have good taste. And then there are dolts, particularly stars and bars-flying rednecks and I'm not referring to farmers or coal miners. But it takes all kinds and that's what makes things interesting. Why, we even have some where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM

15,814 posts, read 4,930,121 times
I don't want my guy to be better-looking than I am.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM

661 posts, read 898,756 times
A metrosexual is just a gay guy in denial !

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,812,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Totally agree with you BUT, I have to leap to the defense of matching shoes with belts, socks with shoe or hem color, wool suits, 100% cotton dress shirts, silk ties, etc.
Honestly, I know there's a purpose, I was just saying how important it is to him. To the point that usually when he buys himself a new $100 belt, he has to go find a pair of $300 shoes to match. That was more my issues, not really the matching.

Hey, on the upside, he was great to go shopping with. Always found better things than I found. Usually I'd go in with things I picked out and he picked out and I'd usually purchase the things he'd pick out. He helped our mutual friend find some "nice work" clothes. Hey, his metrosexual bit does come in handy sometimes. LOL.

Also wanted to add. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with wanting to dress well and look good. BUT, there's a line when the man doesn't know how to dress for the occasion. Personally, I love a guy who is comfy in shorts and a t-shirt AND as comfy (and good-looking) in a suit and tie. If you wear a Versace shirt and silk shorts to go golfing, there's something wrong. I'm just saying.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Honestly, I know there's a purpose, I was just saying how important it is to him. To the point that usually when he buys himself a new $100 belt, he has to go find a pair of $300 shoes to match. That was more my issues, not really the matching.

Hey, on the upside, he was great to go shopping with. Always found better things than I found. Usually I'd go in with things I picked out and he picked out and I'd usually purchase the things he'd pick out. He helped our mutual friend find some "nice work" clothes. Hey, his metrosexual bit does come in handy sometimes. LOL.

Also wanted to add. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with wanting to dress well and look good. BUT, there's a line when the man doesn't know how to dress for the occasion. Personally, I love a guy who is comfy in shorts and a t-shirt AND as comfy (and good-looking) in a suit and tie. If you wear a Versace shirt and silk shorts to go golfing, there's something wrong. I'm just saying.
Ain't that the truth! As for the rest, I quite agree. I dressed well but I wasn't anal about it. Now in retirement, summer attire of shorts and a tee is de rigueur as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, I also pick out a lot of my wife's clothes. She hates to shop and quickly gets frustrated and ready to quit when I'll walk right to what she was looking for in the first place. She did, however, have a real knack in helping me select shirts, ties and suits. We complimented one another, especially when we both worked.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,277,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I think in 2013 they are simply called young males. The idea of the metrosexual is from the mid 90s.
That is true. Very few opt out. This is why I really dislike this generation of young men and wish them the worst. They are too aware of how they look and the image they project. I am in awe of baby boomer men because they didn't have the same mindset.

There is a misconception that metrosexual=feminine. Most of today's young men actually look hypermasculine. Yet the fact that they are so concerned and aware of their appearence is a very feminine quality.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 5,516,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
A metrosexual is just a gay guy in denial !

Not that there is anything wrong with that!
That might be true for some male celebrities, like Zac Efron, Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Seacrest.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
What do you think about Metrosexual men ? Are there Metrosexual men here ?
They might as well be gay.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
Like some have said, the Metrosexual male is an antiquated trope from the late 90's to mid-00's. Today, we'd call guys who're into D&G, Armani, Prada etc brand-***** d-b*gs, outfits fit for guidos with fake tans from the Jersey Shore. It's a Eurotrash look adopted by posturing gay and straight Bro's alike.

For the past 4 yrs, the Neo-Prep, Retro-Americana & Heritage looks that you've been seeing at J. Crew has really become the uniform of very straight hetero guys, especially those under 35 in urban areas. It's clothes for 20-something hipsters who've outgrown their grungy emo rags & have real jobs & real responsibilities. Older Gen-Y's have adopted the look because they think it's more Authentic and "Artisanal" than the global luxury brands that were so popular a decade ago. It's become the inspiration behind sites like "The Art of Manliness", "Fedora Lounge" and a whole subculture of elegant machismo as seen in #menswear, Gentlemen and Sirs.

So the upshot is that if you see a well-dressed dapper guy in a gingham button up with blue chinos and suede double monks at a bar or club, don't assume he's gay, because there's a 90%+ chance that your assumptions are plain wrong.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Like some have said, the Metrosexual male is an antiquated trope from the late 90's to mid-00's. Today, we'd call guys who're into D&G, Armani, Prada etc brand-***** d-b*gs, outfits fit for guidos with fake tans from the Jersey Shore. It's a Eurotrash look adopted by posturing gay and straight Bro's alike.

For the past 4 yrs, the Neo-Prep, Retro-Americana & Heritage looks that you've been seeing at J. Crew has really become the uniform of very straight hetero guys, especially those under 35 in urban areas. It's clothes for 20-something hipsters who've outgrown their grungy emo rags & have real jobs & real responsibilities. Older Gen-Y's have adopted the look because they think it's more Authentic and "Artisanal" than the global luxury brands that were so popular a decade ago. It's become the inspiration behind sites like "The Art of Manliness", "Fedora Lounge" and a whole subculture of elegant machismo as seen in #menswear, Gentlemen and Sirs.

So the upshot is that if you see a well-dressed dapper guy in a gingham button up with blue chinos and suede double monks at a bar or club, don't assume he's gay, because there's a 90%+ chance that your assumptions are plain wrong.
Ya know, life was much simpler in our day when boys were boys, men were men and labels had not been invented except for east coast preppie types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty