U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,845 times

Advertisements

Well, there are always going to be people out there who dress inappropriately for their age, always has been. I don't think that's really a boomer-specific trend that is on the rise and there's some major reason for it. I've never heard of a woman getting botox because she really need a haircut. I don't know anyone who does things like this. My parents and husband's parents, all in their 60's, dress age appropriate and take care of themselves and look good, but they are also not giving up and wearing pants up to their chest and letting themselves go. They wear modern clothes, not elastic waistband pants and orthopedic shoes and granny glasses and depends. They look just great, too. Sometimes they dress better than me, and that doesn't make them "trying" to be 23, either.

I think it's that people in their 60's are just not that stereotype anymore. When my grandma was 60 she had the short gray hair and the moomoo, but my mom's hair is still black and she does not need to wear a moomoo. What, is she supposed to dye her hair gray and no longer wear jeans because people like you think it's "not right" because that's the way it's "always been"?

I think maybe you have this idea in your head of what an "age" is supposed to look like, and because times and styles no longer dictate that, you think there's something wrong with it and people are trying too hard to be something they aren't. I see it as things change, people change. Not everyone follows this lifestyle of "doing this at this age, look like that at that age, etc" life script anymore. There are no "rules".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am a baby boomer. I am fifty one. I'll speak for myself.

When my grandmother was my age, she dressed frumpy and her hair was completely gray. She wore big glasses and old lady looking dresses. In fact, here's a photo of her at that age:

She is MY AGE in this photo! Sorry, but I don't want to look like that right now. She looked frumpy and like an old lady for FORTY YEARS (she lived till she was nearly ninety).

At a very healthy fifty one, I could easily live forty more years. That means I've got nearly half my life ahead of me. I enjoy life. I enjoy fashion. I like being attractive, and keeping myself attractive. I'm not ready to be an old lady yet.

Sixty is the new forty - haven't you heard?

New technology hasn't just extended our lives - it's given us the ability to FEEL younger and more energetic longer. And that's a good thing, because most of us won't be able to retire at age 55 or even 65 in the current economy. Also, since many of us are living longer lives, the odds of us becoming a widow or widower, or getting a divorce, increase over time. I know many older people who have fallen in love in their later years and want to look good AND feel good and enjoy these new relationships.

I myself remarried at age 43. I really enjoyed being single in my forties and dating - and falling in love and remarrying! So I am in a "young" marriage of only seven years, married to the love of my life. We're not ready to be old yet.

Finally - I have to ask you this - why do you think it's less important to older people to look their best? As a woman, I can assure you - looking good doesn't become any less important in your fifties than it is in your twenties and thirties. It just becomes a bit more challenging! But if a person loves fashion and enjoys looking polished and pulled together when they are younger - that facet of their personality doesn't necessarily change as they age. I loved scarves and accessories and cute jackets and boots when I was in my twenties - and I still love them. The good thing is - now I can afford much nicer ones!
Just an off topic remark...but I LOVE your Grandmothers glasses! I think maybe I'm an 'old' in a younger persons body because I like dressing in vintage 'grandma' clothes and absolutely adore vintage style. I think it's a classic and stylish look, not frumpy at all!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,526,733 times
I think that phrase that people are as old as they feel holds a lot of weight. I certainly feel older some days more than others.

I will be 40 this year and I am letting my grey hair show. My sister is 53 and she is completely grey and always covering hers. Her clothing looks nice on her and for these days, I feel is age appropriate.

I think times have just progressed.

I feel my most comfortable in jeans and a t shirt, so that is what I wear.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
I am about ten years younger than the youngest baby boomers. I can't believe that people like Christie Brinklie and Suzanne Somers are over the age of 60. They look so young.

I see people like Debbie Boone ("You Light up My Life") advertising for "lifestyle lifts" which I guess are facelifts.

And there are numerous ads for anti-aging products for women and men.

And then there are the medicine ads for men with certain ED issues.

And now there are numerous ads for adult diapers, showing young men and women dancing around in evening attire while supposedly modeling adult diapers.

Obesity is now considered a disease.

My question is sincere and I am not putting down baby boomers. I think as a generation they are not willing to go gracefully into that dark night and will fight aging every step of the way.

However, I always thought it would be a great time in older people's lives to let their hair go grey, put on a little weight, and just wear comfortable clothes and relax about their appearance.

Isn't it exhausting for 60 year olds to try so hard to maintain the appearance of a 20 year old? What's wrong with being 60? And looking 60? Healthy is a good thing. Why try to strain yourself or use drugs to keep up appearances that your body hasn't changed in forty years? My grandparents and great-grandparents were healthy from gardening and walking and RELAXING and not working so much.
Its just that generation has the fattest pockets to market to. Anti-age products and services are what they are pushing because people want it. They grew up being programmed for the most part that younger is better and its still happening (i think) ever since then.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_932109.html
"Global Industry Analysts projects that a boomer-fueled consumer base, "seeking to keep the dreaded signs of aging at bay," will push the U.S. market for anti-aging products from about $80 billion now to more than $114 billion by 2015."

"The boomers, who grew up in a culture glamorizing youth, face an array of choices as to whether and how to be a part of that market."

Obese is not a little overweight. That is just asking for a shorter life span. People know now the risks it carries so fighting that is a good thing.

People don't really have the option to relax like they used to. Employers do discriminate based on age. Partners discriminate based on age.

I'm not a baby boomer but from seeing what they do put up with due to looking aged I can't blame them.
I don't think its about not looking twenty but just not looking like one is weak, or feeble. Its more about looking healthy and having energy to do more than just relax. Exercise has many benefits beyond looks. It helps fight bone loss so you can skip out on the broken bones and fake hips your older generation had. Things like that or recovering damage from phases of life where you didn't know any better. Face lift to fix what smoking did to you..not needed but it sure would be nice if you really wanted to get rid of something you don't like. I know I would probably do it. The lifestyle lift patients don't look 20, the just look like a less tired version of themselves.

With dressing...well every age does not do that well anymore for the most part. LOL

Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM

155 posts, read 260,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Many people over 50 just want to stay in shape and they live very active lives.

Funny but I would have women 20 years younger than me come up to me in the gym and say that they only hope they can look as good as me when they are my age. I would think to myself...how can they expect that when don't even look as good when they are 20 years younger than me.

I keep waiting for the day I no longer care what I look like but it hasn't come yet.
This is what cracks me up about some baby boomers. Do you really honestly think to yourself that women 20 years younger than you, don't actually LOOK 20 years younger than you? They look 20 years younger than you.

Yes, I see 60 year old women in Zumba class and at the gym, and they can keep up with the rest of the Class and the women. But do they look 40? No. Do I look 20? No. And why should we?

And I am not sure it was a compliment when they told you they hoped they looked as you do when they are your age. It sounded more like a backhanded compliment.

And you sounded like you were insulted by what they said.

And, I am trying to find age appropriate role models or examples in fashion magazines and it's challenging. I would be horrified if I was one of those women over the age of 40 who looked like she was trying to dress like a teenager.

Comfortable clothes doesn't mean Moo Moo or house dress or for men Bermuda shorts, white knee high socks, and sandals.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,444,169 times
Here's a side thought: I think high schoolers in the 50s looked older than I do now! LOL!! Have you ever browsed through a 50's high school year book? The students didn't look much younger than the faculty! But I digress... Clearly, it was the fashion and hairstyles, right?

Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Here's a side thought: I think high schoolers in the 50s looked older than I do now! LOL!! Have you ever browsed through a 50's high school year book? The students didn't look much younger than the faculty! But I digress... Clearly, it was the fashion and hairstyles, right?
I kind of think so too. Like I've said, I think it's more the styles and the times, not that boomers are trying to be what they are not. People like the OP are used to people over 55 looking a certain way, and they don't anymore, but maybe they don't realize it's not that boomers are trying to be "young". Maybe it's just that the 55+ "look" we are used to seeing throughout the 70's and 80's has gone out the window and looks and styles are completely different now.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,514,196 times
Very big problem in society today. If a person (in this instance health & fitness minded youthful boomers) want to look and feel their best, and live with vigor, there are people trying to call them: "over the hill streetwalkers", "fools", "fakes" and "delusional". Is this insecurity talking, maybe some who have given up on life and would feel more comfortable if their contemporaries did the same? How self-centered is that? I hope to escape the narrow-mindedness, the puritanism and judgmentalism that mark so many of us boomers as "geezers" We have made mistakes, we have made gains, we have wisdom and experience to share, and sweet passion...who needs the negativity and fatalism?

LIVE and LET LIVE, people. Live Long and Live Strong. Give people room to do what is right for their individual lives.

I'm just saying.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
I am about ten years younger than the youngest baby boomers. I can't believe that people like Christie Brinklie and Suzanne Somers are over the age of 60. They look so young.

I see people like Debbie Boone ("You Light up My Life") advertising for "lifestyle lifts" which I guess are facelifts.

And there are numerous ads for anti-aging products for women and men.

And then there are the medicine ads for men with certain ED issues.

And now there are numerous ads for adult diapers, showing young men and women dancing around in evening attire while supposedly modeling adult diapers.

Obesity is now considered a disease.

My question is sincere and I am not putting down baby boomers. I think as a generation they are not willing to go gracefully into that dark night and will fight aging every step of the way.

However, I always thought it would be a great time in older people's lives to let their hair go grey, put on a little weight, and just wear comfortable clothes and relax about their appearance.

Isn't it exhausting for 60 year olds to try so hard to maintain the appearance of a 20 year old? What's wrong with being 60? And looking 60? Healthy is a good thing. Why try to strain yourself or use drugs to keep up appearances that your body hasn't changed in forty years? My grandparents and great-grandparents were healthy from gardening and walking and RELAXING and not working so much.
We live in a culture that worships at the altar of youth. Older people are considered to be useless, worthless and a "bother". The general feeling is that they take up valuable resources and contribute little or nothing to society. Mind you, this is NOT my opinion, it is the opinion of most people under 40.

People are not afraid of getting older, I think. They are afraid of dying, which is the logical conclusion. If they stave it off long enough, (the getting old part), at least they will not have to deal with the contempt of younger people. They will be more accepted in society.

Other cultures value the wisdom and experience of age and honor their older citizens. Not so here in the US.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-26-2013, 05:15 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
My mom is 65, and her older sister is 70. When my mom hit late 50s or so, she started thinking that was "old" so she need to get into the old lady clothing and so on.... my mom dresses like the stereotypical frumpy old lady, although she was really into fashion and style in her younger days.

We try to get my mom into some "hipper" clothing but it usually doesn't work. My parents are a matching set, and they'll stroll around in the grocery store with cargo pants and plaid button downs.

Her sister on the other hand, is a bit more concerned with her appearance. She is totally "in style" and age appropriate. She looks "younger" than my mom. Although neither looks their age, they hardly have any wrinkles at all. Both cover up their hair for different reasons with natural looking wigs, and they aren't grey. So I have more greys than the both of them and I am only 35. :P I figure the greys make me look older. I could use the help sometimes.

I think the thing about the Boomer generation is, a. it is a me first generation. and b. it is all about doing what you want. So if Boomers want to "act young" more power to them.

** considering you might just live to be 80 or 90, who wants to be prematurely "old" and "bored" at home. No thanks, I am going to be out and about well past my 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty