U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,999,670 times

Advertisements

Several thoughts:
1. There was a thread in the Retirement Forum on basically this same subject not too long ago, in case anyone wants additional reading on the subject. Can't remember the exact thread title. Edited to add: the title is "How should a 62 year old dress?
How should a 62 year old dress?
2. Congrats to Kevxu for his astute and insightful post.
3. It seems to me that we males have an easier time of dealing with fashion and styles. We are able to wear clothing that doesn't date us so much without a lot of agonizing about it. (I am 69 if it makes any difference).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,818,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Wow...would love to see what you look like....

Here is a baby boomer in full bloom!!!!!

Can't get any hotter than that! So let's see your pic!
What? Boomers aren't supposed to look like that! /sarcasm
They got it going on better than me and I'm under 40. Good for them! Love it!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 PM

2,804 posts, read 1,535,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know about 60-year-olds, but I know quite a few 40-and 50-year-old women who naturally look a LOT younger than they are. They haven't had anything "done", they just went through life without smoking, drinking, exposing themselves to too much sun (no tanning), and they go to the gym regularly. People just aren't aging the way they used to.
I am 62 and I get surprised response every time I talk about my grand kids, they claim not to believe I am old enough to be grandmother. I don't know how old they think i am. I don't ask and I don't care.

I don't drink much, don't smoke, don't go out in the sun, and get exercise regularly, and eat sensibly. I feel I looked my best in my 40's, better than when I was younger, and quite possibly because I had a lot more confidence in myself and felt powerful. yes I am in the excecize class with the OP doing Zumba because I love it. So what?
I learnt to bike for the first time when I turned 60 and practiced till I knew how and could do it well and decided I don't really love it so don't bike anymore. Was I tool old to do that?

The women that were posted from the home shopping network, which I never watch, don't appeal to me. They are over made up and made up for the harsh TV lights.

I do struggle with what to wear and what to do with my hair because as we age we do need to accommodate and adapt for the changes.
Why are people so much more judgemental with women? Of course it is culture specific and possibly more American.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM

208 posts, read 468,414 times
Zumba...should have seen it. LOL... not like weight lifting.... try lifting some weights. It help you build muscle as you age.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 PM

208 posts, read 468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
What? Boomers aren't supposed to look like that! /sarcasm
They got it going on better than me and I'm under 40. Good for them! Love it!
Focus...lift weights and you can look good also once you leave your 40's. Otherwise you will look like most 50+

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 PM

155 posts, read 260,827 times
I am not suggesting that babyboomers look any better or worse than younger people in their appearance. I am suggesting that many babyboomers may be using some drugs or plastic surgery enhancements to achieve a youthful appearance.

I am also suggesting that regardless of how young a person feels or how much younger they think they look, age is a number. Most people don't live past age 100. It's a babyboomer trend to suggest that "60 is the new 40."

Please don't misunderstand that I am putting down older women especially. It just seems like it should be a time in your life when you can relax and not feel so much pressure from the media.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 PM

2,804 posts, read 1,535,670 times
Quote:
Zumba...should have seen it. LOL... not like weight lifting.... try lifting some weights. It help you build muscle as you age.
I do that as well

Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM

4,124 posts, read 3,411,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
<snip>

My question is sincere and I am not putting down baby boomers. I think as a generation they are not willing to go gracefully into that dark night and will fight aging every step of the way.

However, I always thought it would be a great time in older people's lives to let their hair go grey, put on a little weight, and just wear comfortable clothes and relax about their appearance.

Isn't it exhausting for 60 year olds to try so hard to maintain the appearance of a 20 year old? What's wrong with being 60? And looking 60? Healthy is a good thing. Why try to strain yourself or use drugs to keep up appearances that your body hasn't changed in forty years? My grandparents and great-grandparents were healthy from gardening and walking and RELAXING and not working so much.
Maybe some are not going gracefully...and will fight aging (and everything that goes along with it) every step of the way. But there are those of us who are just content to be where we are concerning acceptance of our appearance. Don't misunderstand my point, I eat healthy, I walk and I do strength training and that's good enough for me.

Hard to maintain the appearance of a 20 year old...wow, I didn't realize we could shave off 40 years, that's some kind of miracle there maybe I should reconsider...nah, I'm good! Nothing wrong with being 60 and looking 60.

All kidding aside, I honestly believe to each their own and everyone who can and wants to should decide what makes them happy. Me...I'm good!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM

805 posts, read 1,265,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Very big problem in society today. If a person (in this instance health & fitness minded youthful boomers) want to look and feel their best, and live with vigor, there are people trying to call them: "over the hill streetwalkers", "fools", "fakes" and "delusional". Is this insecurity talking, maybe some who have given up on life and would feel more comfortable if their contemporaries did the same? How self-centered is that? I hope to escape the narrow-mindedness, the puritanism and judgmentalism that mark so many of us boomers as "geezers" We have made mistakes, we have made gains, we have wisdom and experience to share, and sweet passion...who needs the negativity and fatalism?

LIVE and LET LIVE, people. Live Long and Live Strong. Give people room to do what is right for their individual lives.

I'm just saying.
Preach it! And if women age naturally people make horrible remarks and it they decide to do surgery people make fun of them. Ugh, I wish people could just be supportive of each other no matter what age they are.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM

805 posts, read 1,265,878 times
Quote:
Strength training is a must. I'm female, 48, have done athletics since I was 6. Currently do cross fit and play ice hockey on a women's team (and they are rough lol). Had a bone density test done six months ago, I have the bone density of a 21 year old, MD said the training and no smoking is what probably helped a ton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty