U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM

41,034 posts, read 32,728,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
@Kathryn

I look at photos of my grandmothers and great grandmothers smiling, like yours is in the photograph, and I don't see them as "old." I see them as HAPPY and SMILING and enjoying life (and not spending their children's and grandchildren's inheritance on Botox and bleached hair.)
Coupla things:

To each his own. I probably have forty more years of living. I intend to be happy AND look as good as I feel the entire time.

I'll never use botox and I don't bleach my hair, but if I chose to do either, it would be with MY money. I earned it and I can spend it as I choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,814,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Focus...lift weights and you can look good also once you leave your 40's. Otherwise you will look like most 50+
I actually have been some. I need to work on it cause I tend to hurt myself and have to quit for awhile.

Quote:
Please don't misunderstand that I am putting down older women especially. It just seems like it should be a time in your life when you can relax and not feel so much pressure from the media.
I see what you mean. But I guess a lot of people just don't want to, or - if they are weight-lifting or working out, or dressing a certain way, I think they like it. That is what they want to do, and maybe they don't see it as high maintenance or "needing to relax", etc. It's what they do and enjoy. I think a lot of women will botox because of the youth obsession in our culture, no doubt. No woman wants to be in a room full of other women her age and have everyone think she's 10 years older than everyone else. Otherwise, perhaps that is what makes them happy. Maybe it isn't a lot of work for them. I know for me, I don't want to stop exercising at a certain age because I think I should relax, or I've earned it. I think it'll just make me hurt or be immobile a lot sooner than I should, or I'll decline, etc. So maybe it's that, too.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 PM

805 posts, read 1,262,771 times
Quote:
I am not suggesting that babyboomers look any better or worse than younger people in their appearance. I am suggesting that many babyboomers may be using some drugs or plastic surgery enhancements to achieve a youthful appearance.

I am also suggesting that regardless of how young a person feels or how much younger they think they look, age is a number. Most people don't live past age 100. It's a babyboomer trend to suggest that "60 is the new 40."

Please don't misunderstand that I am putting down older women especially. It just seems like it should be a time in your life when you can relax and not feel so much pressure from the media.
What has given you the impression that women are taking care of themselves mentally and physically to be the best they can at their age as a direct result of the media? Only speaking from my experience and my friends, we do it so we can feel good, not have our bodies break down so we can continue to have fun, travel, be active, and stay the hell out of the healthcare system!
Additionally no one I know, including me, want to look 20 again. We had our 20's, we are glad to be past them!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM

41,034 posts, read 32,728,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Here's a side thought: I think high schoolers in the 50s looked older than I do now! LOL!! Have you ever browsed through a 50's high school year book? The students didn't look much younger than the faculty! But I digress... Clearly, it was the fashion and hairstyles, right?

Right, which is why my BEAUTIFUL grandmother looked frumpy at age 50. People looked older, dressed older, and when they got married or became a widow or simply a mom, the women dressed in much more matronly fashions. Dyed hair was frowned upon, not because people felt that women were trying to look YOUNGER but because people thought it made women look "loose." It was a different era with different fashions and values, and let's face it, much shorter life expectancies. People who were in their fifties didnt expect to live for forty more years, so this changes one's concept of "old."

People today can and often do feel GREAT well into their sixties. There's simply nothing immoral about coloring one's hair, or wearing flattering clothes, or for that matter having a face lift.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 PM

18,029 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Older people dress and fix themselves up mostly to please themselves. That's what I think anyway and there's nothing wrong with it. If you look better you usually feel better about yourself.

No one is getting ideas from tv ads but maybe they're getting ideas from Hollywood stars. So some people, if they have the money, get some cosmetic surgery. Most people can't afford it or don't want it. Lots of people color their hair or experiment with different hair styles. Clothing--usually you tone it down a little as you grow older but if you want to you can dress boho too and be eccentric.

Baby boomers were always a little bit spoiled and self indulgent and now they're just continuing on the same path. There's nothing wrong with it. Let them have their fun. This was the first generation for a lot of changes--more people than ever went to college, most women worked outside the home, unlike their mothers. Women of the baby boomer generation are probably more sophisticated then their stay at home mothers ever were. They know how to dress and they enjoy style. Why should they stop now just because of some old stereotype of women sitting home wearing flowered dresses and orthopedic shoes? And lace collars. They're having FUN.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM

15,200 posts, read 16,058,326 times
Quote:
I am not suggesting that babyboomers look any better or worse than younger people in their appearance. I am suggesting that many babyboomers may be using some drugs or plastic surgery enhancements to achieve a youthful appearance.

I am also suggesting that regardless of how young a person feels or how much younger they think they look, age is a number. Most people don't live past age 100. It's a babyboomer trend to suggest that "60 is the new 40."

I think this is the key to the difference in opinions. It's not a burden to me to work out or wear heels instead of nun shoes. The thought of "relaxing" by sitting on the couch watching television from the time I retire til I'm dead is appalling. It's FUN to work out and get stronger. I want to travel, hike, explore, learn new things and challenge myself physically. It has nothing to do with pressure from the media and everything to do with enjoying life while I can.

Also, I'll never use drugs or plastic surgery to maintain a youthful appearance and I think I do dress appropriately for my age. My shorts and skirts have all gotten longer as I've gotten older, but otherwise I try to keep up with fashion trends that appeal to me.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think this is the key to the difference in opinions. It's not a burden to me to work out or wear heels instead of nun shoes. The thought of "relaxing" by sitting on the couch watching television from the time I retire til I'm dead is appalling. It's FUN to work out and get stronger. I want to travel, hike, explore, learn new things and challenge myself physically. It has nothing to do with pressure from the media and everything to do with enjoying life while I can.

Also, I'll never use drugs or plastic surgery to maintain a youthful appearance and I think I do dress appropriately for my age. My shorts and skirts have all gotten longer as I've gotten older, but otherwise I try to keep up with fashion trends that appeal to me.
See, that's what I thought too. It's fun to wear new clothes and new styles.
It's fun to wear new hairstyles, get new cuts and maybe even get highlights and buy new make-up.
It's fun for me to go biking and hiking.

To chop off all my hair and no longer do anything with it, sit on the couch everyday? OMG that is so boring and awful! I would hate that! Some of us don't see that as "earning time to relax" but a death sentence. We hate it. We don't do the other stuff cause we think we *have* to, we do it because that is what we like! I look forward to having my hair done next month, picking a new style, getting new glasses and a new outfit, and going hiking when the weather cools in the fall. I don't want to sit on the couch and "quit". UGH!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,351,992 times
Quote:
Many Boomers (especially the women) have been taking care of themselves for decades. We heard "stay out of the sun, use a good moisturizer and drink a lot of water" forty years ago and some of us did just that.

It paid off.

I see a LOT of boob jobs on women who are not Boomers. I see the same women tanning. They'll pay for it down the road. I resist the urge to tell them to rock what nature gave them. Most Boomers do.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Many Boomers (especially the women) have been taking care of themselves for decades. We heard "stay out of the sun, use a good moisturizer and drink a lot of water" forty years ago and some of us did just that.

It paid off.

I see a LOT of boob jobs on women who are not Boomers. I see the same women tanning. They'll pay for it down the road. I resist the urge to tell them to rock what nature gave them. Most Boomers do.
I can't believe women are still tanning like they are! A friend of mine, 2 years younger than I - bought a tanning bed. Her skin is like leather! She looks at least 5 years older than me, and very fake-skinned. My SIL tans a lot, and her skin has blotches all over it, esp her face. My husband and I are about 2 and 3 years younger than her. An Uncle thought I was her daughter! A close friend thought my husband was her nephew. We of course don't tell her that, she likes to think she looks young & hot. I don't get why women are so blind to what tanning does to them.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM

19,885 posts, read 36,412,001 times
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc
I am about ten years younger than the youngest baby boomers. I can't believe that people like Christie Brinklie and Suzanne Somers are over the age of 60. They look so young.

I see people like Debbie Boone ("You Light up My Life") advertising for "lifestyle lifts" which I guess are facelifts.

And there are numerous ads for anti-aging products for women and men.

And then there are the medicine ads for men with certain ED issues.

And now there are numerous ads for adult diapers, showing young men and women dancing around in evening attire while supposedly modeling adult diapers.

Obesity is now considered a disease.

My question is sincere and I am not putting down baby boomers. I think as a generation they are not willing to go gracefully into that dark night and will fight aging every step of the way.

However, I always thought it would be a great time in older people's lives to let their hair go grey, put on a little weight, and just wear comfortable clothes and relax about their appearance.

Isn't it exhausting for 60 year olds to try so hard to maintain the appearance of a 20 year old? What's wrong with being 60? And looking 60? Healthy is a good thing. Why try to strain yourself or use drugs to keep up appearances that your body hasn't changed in forty years? My grandparents and great-grandparents were healthy from gardening and walking and RELAXING and not working so much.

Hey, if you feel that way, that there is a "right way" for a woman of a certain age to feel, and that's what you enjoy, go for it! Nobody's saying you can't do that if you want to. Just don't judge those who don't feel that there's a mandate that they start to dress and act and feel a certain way at the stroke of midnight on their 50th birthday, say.

If it's exhausting for someone, they'll probably stop doing it. If it's not, they won't. And in either case, and this is a serious question, what's it to you? What possible harm can it do to you for someone who is 10 or 20 years older to be in good health, energetic, and look younger than they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty