U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 AM

15 posts, read 20,800 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and have posted one previous thread which does go on to explain my story in detail . But in short I have suffered with a severe hormone disorder since January 2010 may be earlier. It has left me with many physical and mental changes to cope with. I have recently made the huge decision to live life dressing and living as a woman.

My question is regarding bra types and sizing. I only started wearing a bra properly since I took the decision to live as a woman, even though I have fairly large boobs. The bra I am wearing now is a 38DD UK size, the problem is I have many bras in the same size that don't seem to fit me ?? I do not understand why.. I find bra shopping which I mainly do online very difficult. They all fit different and make my boobs different shapes lol. I would love any advice on types of bras, how to measure correctly and well the answer to why the same size bras do not fit me lol.

Thanks xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,573,224 times
Bra shopping IS difficult -- different manufacturers have different fit models, different cup styles, etc. Get your favorite bra and see who makes it. You will be more likely to find other bras you like and that fit you well within their line. I've found that a mfr's cup style doesn't different greatly among the bra styles they make. For example, one line called Gilligan & O'Malley has cups that give me weirdly squared-off outward pointing boobs, and it doesn't matter which of their bras I try on.

Also, study the bra features: does it have a band fully around the bottom front under the cups and between the cups, or does it have the band solely on the sides & back? My breasts are large and not so perky, so I do much better with the fully-around band style bras.

Are the straps wide enough to be comfortable all day, since you wear a DD? Skinny, stretchy straps will cut into your shoulders by the end of the day and may stretch so much that you aren't supported evenly.

Are your breasts fairly perky? If so, you may not want/need underwire. Pendulous breasts are helped by underwire.

And, lastly, shop somewhere online with a good return & shipping policy. Order a bunch of different styles at once, find something that works well, ship the rest back and order more of the good one!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM

19,632 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Google bra fitting. There are several useful sites. I got a professional fitting at a large department store. I thought I was 40D but really I am a 38C. She brought me about 8-10 different bras, only one of which felt perfect. But the online tutorials will give you a better understanding of how it wirks.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,463,007 times
The way you spelled nightmare as Knightmare may I suggest the brand Under Armour as the undergarment of choice.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:59 AM

16,481 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Bra shopping IS difficult -- different manufacturers have different fit models, different cup styles, etc. Get your favorite bra and see who makes it. You will be more likely to find other bras you like and that fit you well within their line. I've found that a mfr's cup style doesn't different greatly among the bra styles they make. For example, one line called Gilligan & O'Malley has cups that give me weirdly squared-off outward pointing boobs, and it doesn't matter which of their bras I try on.

Also, study the bra features: does it have a band fully around the bottom front under the cups and between the cups, or does it have the band solely on the sides & back? My breasts are large and not so perky, so I do much better with the fully-around band style bras.

Are the straps wide enough to be comfortable all day, since you wear a DD? Skinny, stretchy straps will cut into your shoulders by the end of the day and may stretch so much that you aren't supported evenly.

Are your breasts fairly perky? If so, you may not want/need underwire. Pendulous breasts are helped by underwire.

And, lastly, shop somewhere online with a good return & shipping policy. Order a bunch of different styles at once, find something that works well, ship the rest back and order more of the good one!
Heck, I've been buying bras for almost a half century and I still hate it!

Weezycom, makes some great points.

When I find a bra style/size/brand that fits well I buy 3 or 4 of them (usually one white, one black and one or two beige). That way I don't have to buy any more for quite a while.

I try to hand wash my bras, esp the "lacy, fancy ones" (when I have the time) rather than machine wash them as it makes them last twice as long. My daughter swears by using a plastic mesh, bra holder (think of a lettuce crisper with great big holes) in the washing machine. She also has a large size so her bras are expensive and hard to find so she wants to keep the nice for as long as possible.

Feel free to ask more questions. We posters on C-D tend to be pretty friendly and helpful people. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
The different brands do fit differently which is why it's important to be able to try bras on. Eventually you'll get to know what styles you like, and what features you want to avoid (for me it's plastic rings on straps, and stretchy straps).

Different bras are designed to do different things. There are minimizers, which give you some shape while making your breasts look smaller. Sports bras basically just flatten everything and pack it in, so you don't jiggle while exercising. Push up bras create cleavage (that line in the middle) and often add volume. Balconette bras are like propping your boobs on a shelf. Plunge bras are designed to create cleavage without showing in low-cut tops. Tshirt bras have foam cups usually, so your nipples don't show through the shirt fabric. You may want a couple of different kinds of bras...sometimes you want your breasts to be emphasized and sometimes you don't.

Like Germaine mentioned, when you find a good bra buy it in a couple of different colors so you're set for a while.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Hi, thanks everyone for your help, i am sorry about my spelling lol i actually posted from my phone and my predictive text spelt nightmare like knightmare so sorry. My boobs are fairly perky, i have not had them long enough for gravity to have effected them that much as yet, however the most important thing for me is support, my breasts are large and learning to cope with them has been a challenge to say the least. I do like to wear tops that show cleavage because i feel they help me look more female, and take the emphasise away from my face which is still masculine in many ways. The advice you have all given me is invaluable. I do have very large nipples that tend to show in most clothes so a t-shirt bra sounds like the solution to this I do not think i have the courage or confidence to go and get measured as yet so guessing my size and doing my own measurements are the only option.

I struggle with very tender and painful breasts unfortunately so a well fitting bra is essential. Out of interest is there other options to cover up nipples in bras, so that way i can buy other styles and still not have the embarrassment of my nipples showing ?

Again a huge thanks to everyone who has offered me help and support xx

Old 06-30-2013, 08:22 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,573,224 times
caffeine can increase breast tenderness, so cut down/cut out coffee and caffeinated teas to see if that makes an improvement.

There are a variety of makers of nipple covers, also sometimes called petals. DIMRS - Reusable Silicone Nipple Covers is one. However, bandaids (plasters in the UK) can work as well.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and have posted one previous thread which does go on to explain my story in detail . But in short I have suffered with a severe hormone disorder since January 2010 may be earlier. It has left me with many physical and mental changes to cope with. I have recently made the huge decision to live life dressing and living as a woman.

My question is regarding bra types and sizing. I only started wearing a bra properly since I took the decision to live as a woman, even though I have fairly large boobs. The bra I am wearing now is a 38DD UK size, the problem is I have many bras in the same size that don't seem to fit me ?? I do not understand why.. I find bra shopping which I mainly do online very difficult. They all fit different and make my boobs different shapes lol. I would love any advice on types of bras, how to measure correctly and well the answer to why the same size bras do not fit me lol.

Thanks xx
The best thing to do is find a shop that can properly measure your bust then go from there. I strongly believe that one cannot find the perfect fit bra until they are measured properly by someone who does that every day. You will be amazed how much better the twins will feel and look after you have been measured properly by a professional. Good luck.

PS ~~ If you have to find a good bra maker who will fit your specific body and you should be good to go.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Thank you, i have seen some of the covers before, do they stay in place ? i have put some photos on an album, just of me taken of my webcam, if some of you would like to look and offer me advice on my make up or anything really that would be fantsatic they are all facial shots mostly. They are private so only friends can see, so if you wanted to add me and comment on them i would be so appreciated. I just want to know if i can pass as a woman, maybe then i can get some confidence and go out in the world im fed up of being scared and lonely. Thanks again

P.S I will only accept friends with long term members of the forum, not new members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty