U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM

88 posts, read 112,057 times

Advertisements

If its good in brand should definitely works. I believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM

217 posts, read 550,775 times
I look for titanium oxide or zinc oxide in the sunscreens I use. I apply a LARGE handful. And then after water or a couple of hours - reapply - a LARGE handful. I like the lotiony ones better - they smell better and rub on better - but I spend a LOT of time outside in the water - so I really need something that doesn't let the sun in. Trust me, even with the "oxides" which pretty much sit ON TOP of the skin as a barrier - I will forget to reapply and still get "a tan" which is NOT my goal! But - I am not going to spend my life sitting inside! so that's what works for me. Usually any of those with the titanium or zinc oxide are going to be about 50SPF.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM

21,484 posts, read 22,741,215 times
Like others have said, lotion with sunscreen is for incidental sun exposure, like from driving on a sunny day or being outside for a few minutes. If you're going to be outside in the sun for a while, you need to use an actual sunscreen with a high SPF, use enough (dermatologists recommend applying the amount that would fill a shot glass on your body), and reapply every two hours.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,227,133 times
I think everyone is using the wrong stuff.

You are supposed to use sunBLOCK,not sunscreen.

There is a difference.

Sunblock actually blocks the snu's rays from reaching your skin.
It acts a a shield.

Sunscreen absorbs the sun's rays,but instead of blocking them,it absorbs them.
Absorption rate is dependent on the Spf of the sunscreen

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,160,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I'm currently using the brand Eucerin, it is a body lotion with sunscreen. I put it on this morning before going to a tennis game, came back with sunburns on my arms. I just hate having the upper part of my arms darker than the rest of my body.

So do you guys get sunburns even after applying sunscreen or is it just me??
I am a redhead with fair skin that will turn red as a boiled lobster with blisters if I go out in the sun unprotected. However, if I use a sunscreen with an SPF of 45 or higher, I can usually avoid any burn whatsoever. Typically, I use Ocean Potion SPF 60 as it is greaseless and gives 100% protection.

If you are getting burned wearing a particular brand of sunscreen, it is likely of poor quality with minimal protection. Use something stronger. Thinking none of them work because you got burned after using a particular brand is downright silly, IMHO.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM

10,866 posts, read 18,937,245 times
I've been covering myself with SPF 110 whenever I go outdoors for a couple of years now. Recently, I had an allergic reaction to it. My skin was red and very painful, covered in small blisters which later turned to a hard scaly layer that is still gradually peeling off. Two weeks after the reaction, I tried Neutrogena spf 50 for faces and had the same reaction to it, except that my face also swelled up really badly and stayed that way for a week.

Now I'm using the zinc and titanium dioxide sunblocks and I hate the thick, oily feel of them when they go on, and the way that it gets in my eyes when I sweat, and the way I end up looking chalky. For as gross as it feels, it works really well though.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,315,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think everyone is using the wrong stuff.

You are supposed to use sunBLOCK,not sunscreen.

There is a difference.

Sunblock actually blocks the snu's rays from reaching your skin.
It acts a a shield.

Sunscreen absorbs the sun's rays,but instead of blocking them,it absorbs them.
Absorption rate is dependent on the Spf of the sunscreen
jerseygal, you are spot on. Sunblock is the thing.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've been covering myself with SPF 110 whenever I go outdoors for a couple of years now. Recently, I had an allergic reaction to it. My skin was red and very painful, covered in small blisters which later turned to a hard scaly layer that is still gradually peeling off. Two weeks after the reaction, I tried Neutrogena spf 50 for faces and had the same reaction to it, except that my face also swelled up really badly and stayed that way for a week.

Now I'm using the zinc and titanium dioxide sunblocks and I hate the thick, oily feel of them when they go on, and the way that it gets in my eyes when I sweat, and the way I end up looking chalky. For as gross as it feels, it works really well though.
The zinc and titanium sunblocks are, in my experience, the most effective sunscreen and not as irritating as the synthetic sunscreens (110 SPF wow). They're a PITA to apply though. The Kiss my face brand at whole foods has some good sunscreens that have a mixture of the physical sunscreens and the chemical which aren't as annoying as the purely physical sunscreens to apply. they're still a little greasy, though, but that's pretty much all sunscreen that i've tried.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM

21,484 posts, read 22,741,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
jerseygal, you are spot on. Sunblock is the thing.
Except that the FDA no longer allows products to be called "sunblock."

FDA Issues New Sunscreen Labeling Rules - SkinCancer.org

Quote:
The terms “sunblock,” “sweatproof” and “waterproof” are no longer allowed on sunscreen labels.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM

30,378 posts, read 31,251,406 times
Sunscreens and sunblocks definitely do work. Without them my nose would get burned at least twice every summer just from walking around outside for a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty