Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM

361 posts, read 725,120 times

Advertisements

I'm not so sure about that. I'm currently using the brand Eucerin, it is a body lotion with sunscreen. I put it on this morning before going to a tennis game, came back with sunburns on my arms. I just hate having the upper part of my arms darker than the rest of my body.

So do you guys get sunburns even after applying sunscreen or is it just me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
when I use actual sunscreen I have no problem. Maybe you should try to use an actual sunscreen and not just lotion with sunscreen.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:44 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
I do if I'm out a lot, but I live in AZ. Yesterday it was 115 and I was out swimming, I didn't really get burnt.
But, if I were to go out without it, it's bad. I went out swimming without it on once, and was in a world of hurt.
So, while it doesn't always offer 100% protection and I still might get a little burnt, going without it SO much worse.
I think Kim in FL is right - for me I need a very strong, actual sunscreen, nothing something like what you used.
I only use stuff like Eucerin with sunscreen if I'm out only 15 minutes, and on my face.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I use SPF 50 sunscreen on my face, neck, and arms. I use lotion with SPF 30 only for daily indoor wear and scurrying from car to store. Lotion with SPF of any number is NOT intended to replace actual sunscreen.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
....So do you guys get sunburns even after applying sunscreen or is it just me??
It may be just you. I have always been sensitive to the sun, and now take a medication that increases that sensitivity considerably. I use a max protection sun screen, and I have no problem....and I live in a sunny climate.

Without it I will have a burn in just twenty minutes of walking around the streets.

Probably you just need to switch to a sun screen and not a lotion with sunscreen, as someone has suggested.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It may be just you. I have always been sensitive to the sun, and now take a medication that increases that sensitivity considerably. I use a max protection sun screen, and I have no problem....and I live in a sunny climate.

Without it I will have a burn in just twenty minutes of walking around the streets.

Probably you just need to switch to a sun screen and not a lotion with sunscreen, as someone has suggested.
I do as well, and I have not been remembering to put it on this year. The day before yesterday I walked from my Jeep to the store and I was on fire. Then yesterday I walked from the truck to the front of a little restaurant and the same thing happened.

I can feel myself on fire and it is awful.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:43 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Absolutely it works...it was 105 degrees yesterday when i mowed my yard taking four breaks in between and had the SPF 85 sunblock on my face, but didn't put it on my arms, i could feel my arms tingle after i was finished, but my face felt nothing.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I'm currently using the brand Eucerin, it is a body lotion with sunscreen. I put it on this morning before going to a tennis game, came back with sunburns on my arms. I just hate having the upper part of my arms darker than the rest of my body.

So do you guys get sunburns even after applying sunscreen or is it just me??
Yes, you can get sunburn after applying sunscreen! And especially when you apply a lotion thinking you won't burn....

1) You did not use sunscreen; you used a lotion with some sunscreen in it. BIG difference.
2) Were you sweating while playing tennis? Even with real sunscreen (NOT what you used), you need to reapply it when sweating.
3) What was the SPF? You need to know the SPF AND what that number means... it DOES not mean you will never burn.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:35 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
As has already been mentioned, lotion that contains sunscreen isn't the same as actual sunscreen.

I wear an SPF 80 water/sweat proof sport sunblock when I'm outdoors being active (i.e. gonna sweat), going running, doing yard work, etc. etc.

It helps to slather it on and wait 10 or 15 minutes to let it absorb properly into your skin.

Even with that coverage, I still tan. I don't burn, but I tan. But I know that if I didn't wear a proper sunscreen, I would burn.

So yes, sunscreens really do work, but they are not bulletproof. This is why I also wear a ball cap or a visor to give my face extra shielding from the sun. I know it doesn't look cute but neither are wrinkles or skin cancer.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
I use sunblock, and it makes my skin soft. I've used it for years, and -yes -it helps slow down the aging process by protecting my skin from the sun. My face doesn't feel like it's burning. My favorite sunblock is Banana Boat. Second favorite is Coopertone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty