U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I was around this woman's age and went to visit my parents which I did often. I had on a pair of shorts, top, sneakers but looked fine or so I thought. My father asked me to sit down and mentioned to me in a very nice way that once a woman gets to a certain age, shorts (!!) might not be so appropriate. My father, who had never mentioned anything like this must have really felt I looked, well, not so good, in shorts.

BTW, I have very long legs and always complimented on them but that's the last time I wore shorts out "in public" after that conversation.

I will say that my parents promoted more of a classic dress - if you stay with the classic styles, people may want to see more of you; if you expose most of what you have, well, you get the idea.
Hah, seriously?

I'm sorry...I don't wear shorts, myself, because I find them to be the less flattering alternative to sundresses and skirts, but if my dad (!) sat me down and "explained" to me that shorts aren't appropriate at my age, I'd laugh my butt off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah, seriously?

I'm sorry...I don't wear shorts, myself, because I find them to be the less flattering alternative to sundresses and skirts, but if my dad (!) sat me down and "explained" to me that shorts aren't appropriate at my age, I'd laugh my butt off.

That is so ridiculous. Shorts are for everyone! I'm glad I'm not from that "time".

Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,321,656 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
That is so ridiculous. Shorts are for everyone! I'm glad I'm not from that "time".
It was 14 years ago. He obviously saw a flaw I didn't see but for someone who had never mentioned how I dressed before, it was probably something I needed to listen to.

Must not have used common sense.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,627,707 times
It seems everyone is mentioning her top, which while small on her chest, did not seem to be the original concern of the park employees. The concern seemed to be her needing to put shorts on. she has only provided pictures of the back of the suit. I wonder if there is something about the front of the bottoms that was looking a little obscene?

If there was nothing grossly obscene that would be obscene whether it was a man in a speedo, a 16 year old girl, or a 40 year old woman, than she should have covered up.

I wonder if things escalated and then she created a scene and then was asked to leave?

At any rate, my initial response stands - a public park, if she is not violating any public decency laws, and she is abiding by the dress code of the public park, the water park employees had no right to kick her out.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I wonder if things escalated and then she created a scene and then was asked to leave?
It seems like that would have been reported, were it the case, as it would have left no question as to the reason for ejection. I'm doubting that every outlet that picked up this story decided to cover up an altercation. If a big scene were created, that would make for an even more juicy story, but nobody seems to have reported that being the case.

Quote:
At any rate, my initial response stands - a public park, if she is not violating any public decency laws, and she is abiding by the dress code of the public park, the water park employees had no right to kick her out.
Yep. Picking and choosing who gets to stay based upon arbitrarily applied criteria is just asking for trouble (particularly in a public venue operated by a municipal entity, which this park apparently was, since it's administered by the city's parks district and is not a private business).

Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
It was 14 years ago. He obviously saw a flaw I didn't see but for someone who had never mentioned how I dressed before, it was probably something I needed to listen to.

Must not have used common sense.

Oh no! A FLAW?!

Anybody can see any "flaw" they wanna see...if I choose to wear shorts, a skirt, a bikini, expose my offensive and unsightly ankles, allow my untanned and non-sculpted upper arms to be visible, etc., hey, that's my prerogative. People are not obligated to be flawless. I have a small scar on my face. Should I run around in a mask, lest my imperfection offend?

Old 07-12-2013, 03:49 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Oh no! A FLAW?!

Anybody can see any "flaw" they wanna see...if I choose to wear shorts, a skirt, a bikini, expose my offensive and unsightly ankles, allow my untanned and non-sculpted upper arms to be visible, etc., hey, that's my prerogative. People are not obligated to be flawless. I have a small scar on my face. Should I run around in a mask, lest my imperfection offend?
The horror!!!!

According to CD logic, I should likely wear a burka. I have lots of flaws.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM

You and me and about 99.9% of people in swimming suits at any given water park.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
You and me and about 99.9% of people in swimming suits at any given water park.
I probably should just forget about the swimsuit altogether. Would not want to be called offensive

**although it might be borderline if I decide not to wear a bra sized suit. :P

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
Quote:
Oh no! A FLAW?!

What I don't get is, why can't older ladies wear shorts but there is no rule like this for old men?

When its 90 and muggy out, I think everyone should be able to wear shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty