U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 AM

10,869 posts, read 18,944,912 times

Advertisements

The water park she was thrown out of is city owned, as mentioned in the news articles I've read about the incident.

From a fashion standpoint, I think she could have used a swimsuit top with more support and coverage...I've seen a few nip slips from the string bikini crowd at the local pool, and those were girls with smaller breasts, so you'd figure it would be more likely to happen to her.

I've also been at a waterpark and seen someone wearing something totally inappropriate while watching her toddlers in the baby area. It was a lot skimpier than the mom in the pictures, and the person wearing it was a lot larger. On the one hand, I thought she must have a ton of self esteem but at the same time my kids were snickering and saying they could see pubes. It was a string monokini. I thought that woman should have been asked to cover up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,311,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well depending on how old she is there is a possible age discrimination law suit (oh! pun!).

This is what I was wondering too because people as of lately seem to look for a way to sue. I hope she does not receive any money because though it may not be right to tell her what she can wear I hate when people sue over things like that.
Also how she keeps stating about teens wearing small bikini I would think though it covers them up more then this lady because the bikini looks like it should be on a small person. I think people should wear what they want but also one should wear appropriate sizes. Some women and I guess men wear a size 12 but try to fit into a size 6. Looks uncomfortable.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,716,654 times
Was there a sign at the park mentioning "no bikinis " ? If not, then she had the right to wear one. Though her top was a little revealing IMO.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 AM

13,141 posts, read 17,693,860 times
The suit was too small and at her age she should have known better . but if there was no sign stating no bikinis then the officials should not have asked her to cover up . The water park needs to get over it and move on and if they dont want that happening again then they should put up a sign that says "NO BIKINIS" and then see how fast they would go outta business ...I think the whole mess is ridiculous but she does need to find a bikini that fits .

Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,806,350 times
I don't think boobage and camel toe were the issue. Maybe the park was worried about a wardrobe malfunction.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,107,285 times
It looks like to me that the "girls" could jump right out if she made the wrong move what yet got into the water. I really feel for her daughter who has to be embarrassed by a mom that wants to be a teen. How humiliating! I say the nipples were probably 1/2" from being exposed and wouldn't be surprised if she was reported because someone saw more, much more, than they wanted to see. She may be wearing the same bikini but not getting the coverage for her "ample" parts as the younger girls were.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 11,909,488 times
Wasn't it strange that at one point that asked her to cover just the lower bikini?
Then they asked her to cover just the upper?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM

4,121 posts, read 3,402,181 times
I would not have chosen the attire that Madelyn Sheaffer chose to go to the water park that day. Having said that, I certainly applaud her confidence and bravado (however misguided those of us believe she was) in choosing whatever she wanted to wear for that particular day at the water park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She said she'd just lost a lot of weight and was thrilled to be in a bikini. So she was showing off. She was not exercising good judgment, she was carried away with herself. And the park staff called her on it.
She was showing off? Not exercising good judgement? Carried away with herself? And the park staff called her on it?

It almost sounds as if she were performing some hugely daredevil act while attending church, under the influence of something illicit, (perhaps it was the influence of over confidence). Fortunately the park staff was there to call her on it, set her straight and take her down a buttonhole!

With all due respect Ruth, it was a day at the water park and I will bet dollars to donuts that if we were to see a video of the attendees at the park that day (or any other day for that matter) we would certainly see similar attire and/or much worse, I am certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But her body still looks matronly, no matter how many pounds she lost. <snip>
This woman is 42 years old. Is it the large and sagging breasts which you feel looks matronly? If her breasts were the same large size but lifted and perky (surgical augmentation or implants) would there still be a perception of her looking matronly?

If an older gentleman were wearing a speedo, would we say he looks stodgy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the top is too small but not obscenely so. Ironically, they asked her to put shorts on. I think they were totally out of line if others were wearing the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If the park threw out all of the large busted teens and 20 year old women wearing similar sized bikini tops then they were right to throw out the 42 year old woman. However, do you think that they really did that?
If others were wearing the same (or similar) thing this may very well be the fly in the ointment should this woman decide to seek legal recourse. As will the initial request she put on a pair of shorts and then a second employee asked her to put on a top. I suspect that eventually both parties will come to a mutually satisfactory resolution with non disclosure of the details of the settlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Private park. Their property, their rules. If she or anyone else doesn't like it, boycott the place by not going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
not if the "rules" are applied with bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Private businesses are free to use any bias they wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The water park she was thrown out of is city owned, as mentioned in the news articles I've read about the incident. <snip>.
City of Independence and bias can be a very tricky tool if not used properly and just sometimes it can backfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Was there a sign at the park mentioning "no bikinis " ? If not, then she had the right to wear one. Though her top was a little revealing IMO.
Agree^ It's Sunday and after all is said and done, is it really that big of a deal that this woman was feeling so good about herself and her weight loss accomplishment she decided to wear a bikini to the water park? She did not do anything illegal or commit a crime, she did not hurt anyone (except maybe herself), she did not do anything so horrific that we should be judging her so harshly. Again, just my feelings this morning about Madelyn Sheaffer and the bikini fiasco.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 AM

24,477 posts, read 28,789,444 times
I don't see a problem with the bottoms. She's top heavy, so she should have worn a top with more coverage IMO. Unless this water park has a conservative dress code, clearly posted and applied to everyone, I don't think she should have been kicked out.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM

21,501 posts, read 22,756,362 times
While I think this might be a "mutton dressed as lamb" situation, anyone who's ever been to a public pool would have a hard time believing that this woman was the worst swimsuit offender at the pool that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty