Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,862,470 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post a few ideas I have about men' fragrances.

I am a late middle-age guy in my 50's who tries to dress beautifully and I select my clothes with care. Grooming and cleanliness are of absolute importance to me.

Here are my discoveries about wearing gentleman's scents:

-- Use very little. Really just a few drops. A good place to apply it is to your temples or cheeks. That you are wearing a cologne or aftershave should only be noticeable to someone very close you ... if they can small it more than two or three feet away - you are using too much.

-- Generally speaking try to stick to only the expensive ones made by professional perfume houses. The cheap ones are terrible. Men's fragrances made by perfumers such as Creed, Hermes, Chanel, Guerlaine, etc. tend to use natural ingredients not those awful chemical synthetic substitutes. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule, however, and if you can't afford the really expensive ones most people agree a few drops of either "Old Spice" or "4711" are nice.

-- There are, in my opinion, "day" colognes and "night" colognes. For day time I recommend something very light, clean, and fresh smelling: a citrusy cologne like Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert or Guerlaine's Eau Imperiale. For evening some a little "heavier" and more complex with notes of things like sandalwood, spice, musk, vanilla, tobacco, etc. A good quality "Bay Rhum" is suitable for going out clubbing.

-- Men should avoid anything that is too floral. Traditionally some scents are just too feminine for a guy to wear. I am annoyed that some of the newer scents smell like women's flowery perfumes.

-- Always try on a cologne before you buy it. Trust your instincts. Never buy one because it has a cool bottle or it is named after a professional sports athlete you like.

What are your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM

21,638 posts, read 24,768,362 times
Deodorant.

The idea of spending $4,000+/gallon for something that's 3% scent/97% water/alcohol/base oil content never really caught on with me. The difference between "expensive" perfumes and "cheap" perfumes is mostly the base. Expensive ones use less water/alcohol and more base oil (coconut is common, costs about $40/gallon which is a big savings considering its 97% of the content). The essential oils cost typically less than $400/gallon (that's the really expensive ones). It just never sat with me very well. Basically, you're buying something that cost 50 cents to make for $50-200+.

I have some Burberry toilet water one of my girlfriends gave me about five years ago somewhere around. It's a little strong, would prefer cologne, but smells good. It's just overpowering for the first five minutes. I'd never use it day to day. If I ever got into it wearing perfume, I'd just mix my own.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
I have used Issey Miyake l'eau d'issey (original frosted bottle) for years and have always received compliments on it.

Last year I got Dolce & Gabana 'The One' as a gift and it smells pretty darned good too.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have used Issey Miyake l'eau d'issey (original frosted bottle) for years and have always received compliments on it.

Last year I got Dolce & Gabana 'The One' as a gift and it smells pretty darned good too.
Love those.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,563,668 times
I hate any fragrance at all on men. In fact, I hate it on women, too. I'm not convinced that the expensive ones are better, either.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM

10,163 posts, read 20,704,153 times
Good advice about trying it on first before you buy. Colognes will interact differently from person to person based on your own scent and body oils. If you use a spray cologne you should spray it once in the air in front of you then walk through it. That's it, no need to take a bath in it.

I prefer Acqua Di Gio by Armani.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 07-07-2013 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,862,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

I prefer Acqua Di Gio by Armani.
Good choice.

Some fragrances are "aquatic" smelling and evoke a summer's day at the lake or the crashing waves of the ocean. They have a crisp yet clean smell. A classic is Nautica ... but there are several versions and some are not to my liking.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,728,423 times
Every cologne that my husband tries smells good for the first week, then smells like onions after that. The only one he's ever been able to wear more than a week without it smelling odd is Aramis, and neither of us like the way that smells.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 AM

22,258 posts, read 47,182,535 times
Not a fan of fragrances at all.
An unscented deodorant is all that is needed.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,762,703 times
I used to really be attracted to great scents on men. I still recall in high school Spanish class one day when I got chilled and my teacher took off his jacket and put it over my shoulders. The scent of his cologne got on my blouse, and I walked around the house sniffing it for days and wouldn't let me mother wash it. Years later, I found out it was Aramis. Have always liked that since.

Another men's cologne which always appealed to me was Lagerfeld. Bought some for my husband, but he rarely, if ever, would wear it.

I have not noticed scent on more than one or two men where I live now in the past five years. I think part of it is because the stuff has gone up so much in price and down in quantity for that price. Since I am now considered a senior, and many seniors have become sensitive or allergic to perfumes, I find that fewer and fewer people wear scents -- both men and women.

Finally, I agree with limited dabbing on of scents or walking through a mist and not dousing yourself in it. There's nothing worse than walking onto an elevator where someone who's doused themselves in cheap cologne has just gotten off. Makes me want to gag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty