U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 AM

13,438 posts, read 4,588,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't care about personal space when it comes to these kinds of things because it's their job to be in your space. They can't be six feet away doing your hair or makeup.
Exactly. I like having my hair done and being taken care of with make up and such things. It's nice to get to know what you can do/use at home and how to apply different things and how they blend together.

In the malls it may be a little uncomfortable with all other people running around. The light is not good for such things and the people doing their job can't work quietly. So in a beauty salon it's more convenient for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 01:37 AM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
I've been reading this with interest because I'm going to have this done for the first time. I'm going to Sephora over the Thanksgiving holiday. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM

290 posts, read 984,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I don't know about being uncomfortable per se but I don't trust makeup counters for a couple of reasons: My makeup always looks better than the tons of stuff they pile on me (they're trying to sell as much product as possible so that's no surprise). The other reason is that I realize everyone's level of 'cleanliness' varies. I'm not convinced that a makeup counter sans running water is all that sanitary. I understand that they use alcohol and other disinfectancts but I wonder about the off chance of cross contamination. Don't get me wrong- I experiment at Sephora (one of my fav stores) but I usually test things on my cheek, jawline or back of my hand. I will never use shared mascaras, lipgloss (yuck) or lipstick. Yesterday, I was at the clinique counter attempting to get my free 7-day sample of skincare (without having to sit through the consultation). She didn't let me off that easy--I had toner smeared all over my forehead and cheeks, I was told how huge my pores were that day, we examined my one post acne mark and determined how that ruined my complexion and then (only then) was I able to receive the meager 3pc sample set. Apparantly, she didn't succeed at making me feel too bad about my skin because I didn't buy anything that day.
Lol! That sounds like it was a treat I hate that they think that demoralizing people is the best way to sell products! I never understood that. A woman on another forum was talking about how she went to the La Mer counter for their (very!) expensive lotion, only to have the twit at the counter exclaim "Your skin is so dry! It's gross!" Ummm. WTF? Who says such things??

This is why I love ordering online from either Sephora or the department stores- no salegirls and no bad makeovers!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
I hate dept. store makeup counters! The SAs tend to look too made up for my tastes and that's usually a bad sign in my book. I find it ironic that some of the best makeup artists hardly wear makeup at all or they're men!

I'll take Sephora anyday! I like to look and examine the colors, textures, etc. without someone pushing a product down my throat.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,014 times
Smile Cosmetic Queens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Some people might just be REALLY BAD at trying to do makeovers too, and shouldn't be let near your face !!! I'm sure they're worth every $6.50 they're gettin paid to stand behind that counter and smile... but unlless you go to a salon, and can sit down and talk with whoever is going to work on any part of you, i would opt against it.

No oggling!
Hi,

I was reading some online today, which is 2 years later, 2009, but anyways just wanted to let you all know that I have been in the beauty industry for 9 years, and we are all trained very well to know various skin
conditions, and make up applications, they send you to school for this.

Also paid well above 6.50/hourly usually somewhere between 10.50-16.00
whichever make up line you work for. Also 3% commission or higher is usually involved.

The cosmetic lines actually want the beauty consultants to do make overs ect. I know for a fact Clarins Cosmetics only used licensed Estheticians for skin care facials, which you have to book in advance, then the beauty advisor does the make overs. Very professional company. Lancome also uses estheticians for spa events ect.

So don't go around saying things that aren't true. Some beauty consultants may not now know what they're doing at first, but will usually succeed. If you have a good eye for colors and want to make the customrs happy that's all it takes.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Doesn't bother me....I go periodically but I only use Bobbi Brown since I really like their makeup...I try to go at times when I don't think the store will be very busy. I have never had a negative experience at their counter with regard to the consultants.....

Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,663,596 times
I've had one make-up application done at the Clinique counter. I love Clinique, but the girl made me look like a hooker, so I have never had one done since. It was disappointing, since the girls behind the counter usually look great...why couldn't they have made ME look great? Never again, unless she or he's a diehard professional.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,703,728 times
I've never had one, but it looks sometimes like the more products they use the more they can recommend for you to buy. A light touch with fewer products means less sales.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
At the front of every Department Store, like Saks, Macy's and Nordstroms, are the cosmetic counters staffed by a variety of young beauty queens. Their job is to sell you over priced beauty products and in many cases actually put the products on your face. I always thought that had to be one of the most awkward things anyone would have to endure. I have seen these "cosmetic queens" put makeup on faces of women with terrible skin conditions. They have to move so close to the customer and analyze every flaw on their face and neck. Personal space is out of the picture.

I would be incredibly ill at ease getting the makeup or putting it on. How about you?
I had it done, once. I didn't like the results, but it didn't bother me at all. Not a bit. Not much different than the gal cutting my hair, or giving me a pedicure.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,958,123 times
Never had it done, to be honest. Most of the girls I see at the counters look sooo much older because of their makeup. Those that dont just look like a cross between Bozo and a hooker.

Besides...I dont do makeup, and hate people fussing over me that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty