Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times

Advertisements

I haaaaaate having that done. I had a "makeover" at one of those counters once. I have very reactive skin. Perfumes make me break out in red blotches. So the makeup lady applied foundation, my skin started getting all red and burning. I said, "That makeup is probably out of the question for me because it makes my skin burn." Instead of removing it, she just piled MORE on to "cover the redness." And then she started blending in yellow to even out the red. I looked like a Simpsons character who was having an allergic reaction. I stopped her before getting to the mascara. I was afraid she would blind me.

One other time... the worst shade of foundation was applied... way, way too light. I looked like I was set to do Kabuki theater in Japan. It looked even worse in the natural sunlight outside. I could have scared small children... a ghost! Run away, children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 01:23 AM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
I find it very weird...Every time i buy makeup the girls always want to try it out on my face. I always tell them no and to just try it out on my hand. I don't like anyone touching my face. Plus you don't even know if they are using clean brushes or used makeup on you.My niece works at a chanel makeup counter and she says she has had to put makeup on a lot of people with horrible skin wrinkles, acne, etc.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:06 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I've had a couple of make-overs through the years and for some reason they always want to put me in pinkish, purplely eyeshadows. Granted I haven't had one in about 15 years, so maybe it would be different. I'm just curious if they take your skin color, eye color and age into consideration before doing the make-overs.

But I feel more uncomfortable getting a pedicure for some reason. I feel weird about having another person doing something for me which appears to be subservient.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:40 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I've had a couple of make-overs through the years and for some reason they always want to put me in pinkish, purplely eyeshadows. Granted I haven't had one in about 15 years, so maybe it would be different. I'm just curious if they take your skin color, eye color and age into consideration before doing the make-overs.

But I feel more uncomfortable getting a pedicure for some reason. I feel weird about having another person doing something for me which appears to be subservient.

I feel the same about pedicures. It feels SO unnatural to me to have someone do that when I'm perfectly capable of doing my own "fancy footwork."
Also agree with you about the eyeshadows. I only use a palette of light and medium browns for my own eyeshadow, but every time I've had a makeover, they've globbed purples and maroons and other really strange colors on me. Maybe they're trying to do a "go big or go home" type of look, but I never like it at all.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,773 times
No, because I'm afraid they'll go overboard on the make-up, even if I were to tell them to keep it on the light side.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM

554 posts, read 623,180 times
Most of those women look like clowns so why would I want them to apply makeup to my face. I like a light, natural looking make up application.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Gross and unsanitary are more appropriate terms than awkward.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Most of those women look like clowns so why would I want them to apply makeup to my face. I like a light, natural looking make up application.
That's how I feel about make-up; I just want it to even out my skin tone and accentuate my looks but still keep it natural looking. I don't want to look unrecognizable without it.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Just because they wear their own makeup a certain way doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know how to do a natural looking application. A good makeup artist knows how to achieve a multitude of looks.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
I enjoy the process of having my makeup (hair, nails, etc) done, but I'm never happy with the actual results. The standard "makeup 101" techniques/color choices that should theoretically and intuitively work on a person with my skin tone/eye color/hair color generally don't, and they always default to those - dark lipstick, which makes me look older (and not in a good way), and black eyeliner, which makes me look like some sort of Halloween monster, especially if they apply it on the waterline as well. Oh, and dark eye shadow on the lids.

I do my own makeup the best. I've never had someone else do my makeup who has done it as well as I can do it myself. Granted, they don't have the benefit of my extensive trial and error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty