U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM

4,549 posts, read 3,501,073 times

Advertisements

I only had it done once. Not really a big deal. I could see it being bad if you got a person who could see, and had to be right in your face to the point you could smell their breath. But the lady I had to mine didn't violate any person space, and she was very nice. So I didn't mind. Though I wasn't big on how she did my eyebrows -in terms of color. They looked a bit too dark / stark with my skin tone.

I rarely get them done, but only for the same reason I rarely get my nails done these days. I hate sitting there. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 02:18 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,686,929 times
I'm a guy and don't use makeup. But I went to MAC this past year to get makeup for a huge halloween party I was going it. It was definitely interesting but not uncomfortable. They did a good job and people kept coming over to watch haha.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:30 AM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
I bought a book a few years ago called "How Not to Look Older". She had some great suggestions including NOT wearing dark lipstick or too much make-up as you start to age.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:32 PM

6,494 posts, read 2,236,855 times
I am not uncomfortable with people putting makeup on my face, but I have a problem when they want to put the lipstick testers on me. I know that they spray and "clean" them, but I worry about it. Still how are you going to be able to tell if the lipstick color is right for you without trying it. There just has to be a better way, maybe a sealed plastic sampler thing that the makeup people can use on the customer or also good when customers want to try a color without having to use the tester that hundreds of women had used during the week. Also, mascara testers, and everything else, has to be a better, more hygienic way of trying on makeup. I have bought many a lipstick without trying it and we all have learned from experience that the color you see in the tube is not the color you get on your lips, also the back of your hand color is different from your lips.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:47 AM

459 posts, read 520,130 times
My daughter's friend's daughter will be doing her makeup at the Clinique counter for an upcoming wedding and my daughter is trying to get me to do it also. I've politely declined because I'm old and I can imagine her trying to sell me every expensive anti-aging product there is. I believe the whole push is to give the friend's daughter some experience, as she is new to this job! Many years ago, I had a Mary Kay make-over at a coworker's home and left looking like a clown--the foundation especially was much too dark, even though I do have an olive complexion. Yuck!

Some of the previous things that bother other people about this whole experience would bother me a LOT--having your makeup done by a person who doesn't know you, your skin, or your color preferences; invading your personal space; having strangers idly look on as they pass by. Makes me shudder just to think about it! These are the same reasons I don't enjoy manicures and have never had (and never will have) a pedicure!! I'm ashamed of my ugly big feet, even with a doctor!

Old 02-26-2017, 04:34 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
At the front of every Department Store, like Saks, Macy's and Nordstroms, are the cosmetic counters staffed by a variety of young beauty queens. Their job is to sell you over priced beauty products and in many cases actually put the products on your face. I always thought that had to be one of the most awkward things anyone would have to endure. I have seen these "cosmetic queens" put makeup on faces of women with terrible skin conditions. They have to move so close to the customer and analyze every flaw on their face and neck. Personal space is out of the picture.

I would be incredibly ill at ease getting the makeup or putting it on. How about you?
Sheesh! Americans have become a nation of fuss-pots. If it bothers you, you don't do it. Pass 'em by and don't fussy-pot over the women who feel otherwise.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:26 AM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Fussy-pot - well that's a new word to look up! :-)

Old 02-26-2017, 07:57 AM

7,960 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Sheesh! Americans have become a nation of fuss-pots. If it bothers you, you don't do it. Pass 'em by and don't fussy-pot over the women who feel otherwise.
Not all, or the makeup counters wouldn't exist. I don't think CD is an accurate representation of the American public.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:28 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not all, or the makeup counters wouldn't exist. I don't think CD is an accurate representation of the American public.
Imo CD is the best description of being inside the mind of someone with anxiety

Old 02-27-2017, 05:23 AM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Imo CD is the best description of being inside the mind of someone with anxiety
you mean someone who won't step outside the house to try it first hand and instead, rather ask from the "safety" of the house via internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty