U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,868 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25978

Advertisements

Probably $1000. I've got my eye on basically my ideal bag that is a little over that. Hopefully it will go on sale.

At the moment, I have maxed at $400.

I personally find a big enough difference between let's say bags under $200 (MSRP) vs ones over $200. I haven't established where the breaking point is for bags under $500 and over $1000, where the improvements in quality aren't worth it.

I have a list for my bag wardrobe, and I am missing 1 right now. Then I'll be done with bags.

The way I see it, your purse gets a lot of use. I switch, and have about 6 in regular rotation, average price $300. Most of them are a few years old. So the current cost per wear is about $1.65. And decreasing. I only splurge for everyday or work bags Evening bags I keep those cheap, since the get less use. I plan to keep these bags for another 5-10+ years!

Before I started "splurging" bags would only last a year if I was lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: So Cal
38,752 posts, read 37,920,228 times
Reputation: 39566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Probably $1000. I've got my eye on basically my ideal bag that is a little over that. Hopefully it will go on sale.

At the moment, I have maxed at $400.

I personally find a big enough difference between let's say bags under $200 (MSRP) vs ones over $200. I haven't established where the breaking point is for bags under $500 and over $1000, where the improvements in quality aren't worth it.

I have a list for my bag wardrobe, and I am missing 1 right now. Then I'll be done with bags.

The way I see it, your purse gets a lot of use. I switch, and have about 6 in regular rotation, average price $300. Most of them are a few years old. So the current cost per wear is about $1.65. And decreasing. I only splurge for everyday or work bags Evening bags I keep those cheap, since the get less use. I plan to keep these bags for another 5-10+ years!

Before I started "splurging" bags would only last a year if I was lucky.
1000 bucks for a handbag

Good lord, I'm shocked that women would pay this kind of money for a handbag....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Reputation: 87958
I don't want to spend more than $20.00 on a purse. The purse I have now is three years old and it cost me $12.00. I hate wasting money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Lemon Heights, Orange County, CA
805 posts, read 1,261,517 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
1000 bucks for a handbag

Good lord, I'm shocked that women would pay this kind of money for a handbag....

Yikes then I won't even post what I spent on two Birkins and one Kelly. I was in a bad time in my life so I shopped rather than drank lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,868 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25978
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
Yikes then I won't even post what I spent on two Birkins and one Kelly. I was in a bad time in my life so I shopped rather than drank lol....
My sister told me if I ever got one of those she would rob me for it and that I better ha e security guards.

A Kelly is my win the lotto bag.


On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Not where I want to be
4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Reputation: 7643
I've spent up to $500 for a purse.

I have a wallet that retails for $300 (got it for about $100)

There is a nice Prada bag I want but I just don't have the money for it now ($1800). Once I'm back on track, I will definitely be saving up to buy it.

I received a $400 purse as a Mother's Day gift 13 years ago and it's still in perfect condition.

You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Camberville
11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
Reputation: 18035
$50, max. I don't think any one of my bags cost more than $20 and I get compliments all the time.

Even if I could fit more into my budget, I see expensive bags as a waste and honestly, most designer bags aren't that attractive to me. I'd rather have a bunch of quirky, fun, cheaper bags that I can change on a whim then buy an expensive bag that won't necessarily jive with my fashion sense/color scheme in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,868 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25978
I keep my bags fairly simple, as my clothing tends to be more colorful/patterned, so I use bags as a neutral basic. My bag style hasn't changed much over the years. As a kid I liked bags that were structured/ladylike and I still do now. The only thing that has changed is that I really like crossbody straps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,868 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
1000 bucks for a handbag

Good lord, I'm shocked that women would pay this kind of money for a handbag....

Hehe! Well I plan to keep it for 10 years if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM
 
5,563 posts, read 7,637,571 times
Reputation: 5829
About 200$ I love coach bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top