U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM

5,467 posts, read 4,603,270 times

Advertisements

Wow, I am totally flabbergasted that so many posters purchase such expensive purses. To me, a purse is just someplace to stick my wallet, cell phone and other stuff when I go out. I've had the same one for 4 years and I bought it at a thrift store. Real leather, good quality, very serviceable and still looks nice. I think I paid less than $10 for it.

I don't judge others by the clothes they wear, cars they drive or purses they carry, and feel no need to impress others by wearing/driving/carrying outrageously expensive items.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM

7,736 posts, read 14,000,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Wow, I am totally flabbergasted that so many posters purchase such expensive purses. To me, a purse is just someplace to stick my wallet, cell phone and other stuff when I go out. I've had the same one for 4 years and I bought it at a thrift store. Real leather, good quality, very serviceable and still looks nice. I think I paid less than $10 for it.

I don't judge others by the clothes they wear, cars they drive or purses they carry, and feel no need to impress others by wearing/driving/carrying outrageously expensive items.
Hmmm, the irony...the statement in bold sounds a bit judgmental from my stand point.

Just because someone spends $$$ on an item, it doesn't mean they did so to impress others. I can guarantee you that most of my friends have no idea how much my bags or other wardrobe pieces cost. I like what I like and buy what I want as long as it is within my means.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM

5,467 posts, read 4,603,270 times
Your reasons for spending so much on handbags may not be to impress and that's commendable. I would say that many who do, especially on the ones that are branded with a designer logo like the status they feel it gives them. To each their own....don't mean to offend anyone as it is your money and of course you are free to spend it on whatever makes you happy.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:13 PM

805 posts, read 1,266,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Hmmm, the irony...the statement in bold sounds a bit judgmental from my stand point.

Just because someone spends $$$ on an item, it doesn't mean they did so to impress others. I can guarantee you that most of my friends have no idea how much my bags or other wardrobe pieces cost. I like what I like and buy what I want as long as it is within my means.
I agree. I buy Hermes because growing up, my mom and her friends appreciated the brand and the craftsmanship. I started with scarves and moved, when I was earning a very nice living, to the bags and accessories. It is a love that was passed down from my grandmother to my mom to me.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 PM

917 posts, read 1,707,865 times
About 200 but it's not something I do regularly.

I've bought leather bags from marshalls discounted for 150-200. One of them I have been using for work almost daily for 8 months and it still looks good. Looking for another one so I can change it up.

I used to pay $30/40 for my bags I would have to buy a new one every couple of months so to me it was a waste. Sometimes it's worth it to spend more.

I love the look of Balenciaga and Chanel bags but I cant see myself dropping thousands on bag. I could take a few trips with that money.

I saw a nice coach bag at the outlets for $350 on sale but I didn't wanna spend that much.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,024,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

Meh. I don't care what others spend for purses etc. If they have the means, what's $500-$1000+ if they make a decent to high six figure salary (or even more)? Even if they choose to burn through their money, if they really can't afford that lifestyle, that's their issue they'll have to deal with sooner or later.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM

874 posts, read 1,037,609 times
At one point in my life, I paid close to $1,000. I ended up reselling it a few years later and didn't make out too badly. One and done.

I really like expensive bags, but I don't buy them. My money ends up going toward car parts and gadgets. They're much more fun and useful to me.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM

11,932 posts, read 14,427,097 times
I get so many bags for free I couldn't see paying for one. Some of the bags don't look too bad. Get them at trade shows, as gifts at store openings, etc.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,952,510 times
I've spent $300. Most purses I've bought are under $100. I carried the $300 one for years & have to say I saw major difference in quality. The leather just softened into something buttery & wonderful.

I admit if I had the salary I'd probably splurge on a chanel bag, which can be thousands. I admit I do find some designer bags really beautiful - the quality of the construction & level of design.

I can't realistically see myself ever spending more than about $500 though, because I am not interested in pursuing some high salary career.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:49 PM

748 posts, read 1,361,083 times
the most i'll spend is somewhere in the line of 1,000-1.500. The most i've spent so far was $750.00 several years back for a louis vuitton bag. I adore designer bags and wont buy anything that isn't...except for vera bradley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty