Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Depends.... is this an investment-level bag? As in, do you see them for resale on the luxury sites, selling used for a good price?

If so, and you can afford it, might as well buy it.

Me, I think my limit is generally around 500 bucks, but my daily drivers are all in the 150-300 range.

If it was a classic, I would pay more, but we are talking REALLY high-quality bag that lasts forever and I don't find that most of them do, not really.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
30 bucks.

I use and abuse bags, I am not pouring money into them. I also try to avoid leather, so that take out a lot of designer bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 02:59 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Honestly I don't see the point in spending more for a purse than what I have to put in it. It's a vessel to carry my woman-crap (and the junk my husband hands me ) nothing more, nothing less. I'd probably go up to $50 but it would have to be absolutely perfect for what I want. Most purses to me are more of a "I guess it'll work". I'd rather splurge on other things but to each their own.
Same here. I need my purse to be medium-sized (it is SO difficult to find one that isn't HUGE, in my opinion), and has a strap long enough I can hang cross-wise across the shoulders (I can't stand having to carry around a purse in my hands. I need them to be free when I shop). I'd prefer black or a nice dark, dark brown would work too (with no frazzley tackey looking fake diamonds or designs all over it. Just a plain solid color or tasteful two-color is fine too). I prefer lots of pockets/zippers but that isn't as necessary as the first two items.

I don't care if it's made by Louis Batton (??? or some other fancy high-class name brand I have no clue about what his or her name actually is) or Jack & Jim Jumping around in their Shorts. I couldn't care less. Just meet my requirements above and you've got a sale.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I know a wealthy woman with at trust fund (never had to work) who could well afford to buy real Chanel handbags. But she buys very well-made fake ones from a private source and pays far less for them. She said she'd never spend even $1,000 on a handbag, it's a waste of good money.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
$170 tops. I'm real fussy about handbags, they have to be the right shape, have adequate inside pockets and have a shoulder strap. I thought that was a lot of money until I went shopping with my son's fiance - geezus she spends $700-$800 without flinching. I asked her if she really thought that the bags were worth that much money and she said "no, probably not but it's a Chinese thing" (she's from Hong Kong)

Old 11-29-2018, 05:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Bottom line is this, I do not want to support any foreign designer, especially not with a logo on it. They should be paying ME.
I only want a style I respond to, genuine material, interior compartments to suit my needs, and I price that isn’t a rip off.

Ditto - I'm not trying to impress anyone with my name brand purse. If I like it but it has the designer's name in big, bold letters like MK I specifically won't buy it. I guess I'm an anti-snob. $100 is my max and it has to suit MY particular needs like was said above. I do have a lot of different colors. I have quite a few Liz Claiborne purses which are leather and meet my needs and her name is on it so tiny you would have to hold my purse up to your face to see it. I think if I was very rich I might spend a little more as long as it was excellent quality with no brand name emblazoned across it.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Yes I'd rather have the actual money inside the purse.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
$170 tops. I'm real fussy about handbags, they have to be the right shape, have adequate inside pockets and have a shoulder strap. I thought that was a lot of money until I went shopping with my son's fiance - geezus she spends $700-$800 without flinching. I asked her if she really thought that the bags were worth that much money and she said "no, probably not but it's a Chinese thing" (she's from Hong Kong)
I get what you're saying. My daughter in law is from Seoul and she is very, very name and brand conscious too - my son says it's a big thing over there, bigger than here. She spends an amazing amount of money on her family at Christmas and when they visit too. It's very important to her to appear to be wealthy. Surely that's not an Asian thing? Surely it's just personal taste, right?

Anyway, I am like you regarding handbags - they have to be medium sized (not huge), can't be a hobo bag or some sort where everything just falls in a wad into the bottom of the bag, they have to have adequate pockets and dividers so to speak, and they have to have a shoulder strap. It's actually pretty tough to find one that meets all that criteria. Oh and they have to be leather and can't be blingy. And I want one that stands up, not one that is slouchy.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Ditto - I'm not trying to impress anyone with my name brand purse. If I like it but it has the designer's name in big, bold letters like MK I specifically won't buy it. I guess I'm an anti-snob. $100 is my max and it has to suit MY particular needs like was said above. I do have a lot of different colors. I have quite a few Liz Claiborne purses which are leather and meet my needs and her name is on it so tiny you would have to hold my purse up to your face to see it. I think if I was very rich I might spend a little more as long as it was excellent quality with no brand name emblazoned across it.
There are lots of higher end purses with discreet and minimal logos.

Michael Kors has been doing large logos lately, but not all bags haver large logos.

I have a lot of Coach bags, all with very small logo plates, if at all. Some only have logos on the zipper pulls or other really hard to find place. Or on a hang tag.

I have a Mulberry bag with a logo on the inside only. And my Ferragamo bag has the name on the hardware in a tiny font, but there is some signature hardware to hold it together, but super discreet.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:46 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I know a wealthy woman with at trust fund (never had to work) who could well afford to buy real Chanel handbags. But she buys very well-made fake ones from a private source and pays far less for them. She said she'd never spend even $1,000 on a handbag, it's a waste of good money.
It is criminal and unethical to buy counterfeit goods. If the label is so important to her, then she should pay the designer for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty