U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,512,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm guessing 15 tops. A few pairs of sneakers, sandals, dressy/work shoes, boots, heels. I'm not a big shoe person, but I try to have primary colors of different types of shoes that can be easily rotated. Occasionally, I'll grab a pair that doesn't "go" with anything, but are just really cute, so I have to make it work.

For those with more than, say, 20 pairs, why? (I'm genuinely asking, not being snarky). Aren't there going to be a number of shoes that are redundant and don't get worn at all or like once per year? Do you rotate storage based on seasons?
I do 'rotate' my shoe storage based on season. Where I live, we get the full 4 seasons, so in the colder months all of my sandals and open toed shoes get pushed to the back of the closet. During the warmer months, those come out and my boots and a good deal of my closed toed shoes get pushed to the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
Quote:
I'm guessing 15 tops. A few pairs of sneakers, sandals, dressy/work shoes, boots, heels. I'm not a big shoe person, but I try to have primary colors of different types of shoes that can be easily rotated. Occasionally, I'll grab a pair that doesn't "go" with anything, but are just really cute, so I have to make it work.

For those with more than, say, 20 pairs, why? (I'm genuinely asking, not being snarky). Aren't there going to be a number of shoes that are redundant and don't get worn at all or like once per year? Do you rotate storage based on seasons?
I have work shoes (I'm a painting contractor, so, sneakers.)
Summer hiking/casual shoes; typically Tevas.
Winter hiking/casual shoes; boots.
Winter dress shoes; usually boots.
Summer dress shoes: heels or sandals.
I don't have over 20 pairs of shoes but on reflection, I could use quite a few more pairs!
And definitely I rotate for seasons.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,729,752 times
Quote:
Redundant? Not really. Although I do have a few pair that only get worn occasionally, like if I go to a black tie wedding. I live in a climate where I can wear the same clothes and shoes most of the year, too.

My shoe storage system involves one shoe closet, 2 freestanding shoe cabinets (about the size of an iKea bookcase, but with doors), and some stored on the floor of another closet. There's a method to the madness:

Shoe Closet: Mostly pumps with a 2-4" heel, because that's what it was designed to hold. For the most part, these are the shoes I wear to work, church, stuff like that.
Freestanding Shoe Cabinets: evening shoes, knee high boots (they don't fit in the shoe closet), and shoes with a very high heel (also don't fix). A lot of these are outfit-specific, and are my more unusual "shoe candy" type shoes.
floor of closet: gym shoes, western boots, hiking boots, flip flops for the beach.

I'm not at home right now, so just going off memory, here's a sampling of shoes I own:

1. black satin t-strap stiletto 4" heel trimmed with black feathers
2. lime green silk d'orsay pump trimmed with a bow on the instep
3. peep toe stiletto 4" heel booties, in leopard print pony hair
4. black stretch ankle boots, 3" heel (extremely comfy)
5. 3" heel, peep toe, leopard print. (fromCole Haan's Nike Air line, super comfy, I can go all day in these)
6. beige patent lather pumps, big chunky heel
7. being patent leather sandals, 4" heel, trimmed with black and orange
8. mustard yellow high heeled sandals, t-strap, big yellow flower on the t-strap
9. identical pair to #8, but in hot pink
10. black 3" heel pumps, patent leather
11. black 3" heel pumps, suede
12. navy blue and white patent leather wedge sandals
13. ivory wedge sandals with cork heel
14. leopard print flats trimmed with orange leather toe caps
15. knee high black 'witchy boots, 3" heel, leather
16. purple leather knee high boots, embroidered with chinese dragons
17. brown leather kitten heels (Favorite work shoe)
18. silver gladiator sandals
19. slingback zebra print pump, 3" heel, trimmed with teal
20. metallic gold ballet flat
21. pink leather stiletto pumps, 4" heel, trimmed with gold rivets
22. brick-red patent leather pumps, 3" heel
23. avocado green patent leather pump, 3" heel
24. yellow ballet flat with ankle strap
25. electric blue strappy high heeled sandals

Not much redundancy there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty