U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 AM
 
11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10981

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Okay but lets be real, although this thread has focused on what seems to be an individuals obsession with "white" or blonde woman most of the sentiments here or online are fairly representative of the nation or world as a whole.

We are not post-racial. Bigotry and prejudice still exist. Black women and men and other dark skinned minorities still face obstacles that others do not.

The media and beauty industry still favor light skin and European features and looks. This is fairly commonly known. Good for you and your friends but what you describe is not the glass ceiling or closed doors that most people of color face on a daily basis.
Because we are the majority - that is all. They make the movies with the stars that resemble more of the population.

If we were a majority black nation, our movie stars would mostly be black, simple.

 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,076,881 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Okay but lets be real, although this thread has focused on what seems to be an individuals obsession with "white" or blonde woman most of the sentiments here or online are fairly representative of the nation or world as a whole.

We are not post-racial. Bigotry and prejudice still exist. Black women and men and other dark skinned minorities still face obstacles that others do not.

The media and beauty industry still favor light skin and European features and looks. This is fairly commonly known. Good for you and your friends but what you describe is not the glass ceiling or closed doors that most people of color face on a daily basis.
You are speaking for other people's taste, Why? who gave you that authority?
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 AM
 
937 posts, read 915,562 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
FYI, I don't feel the need to put Caucasian women down....but you certainly don't make it a point to take a stand when Black and other ethnic women are being bashed.
I'm not sure why she thinks I'm bashing white women. I'm not. I just pointed out that many don't age so well.

Here's a pic of Kimberly Elise at the Esesnce festival from a few days ago. Kim Elise is 46 years old! This is getting creepy.



When is she going to start aging?
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 AM
 
11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10981
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Okay but lets be real, although this thread has focused on what seems to be an individuals obsession with "white" or blonde woman most of the sentiments here or online are fairly representative of the nation or world as a whole.

We are not post-racial. Bigotry and prejudice still exist. Black women and men and other dark skinned minorities still face obstacles that others do not.

The media and beauty industry still favor light skin and European features and looks. This is fairly commonly known. Good for you and your friends but what you describe is not the glass ceiling or closed doors that most people of color face on a daily basis.
Why is not able to date another race equated with a glass ceiling?

I'll tell you what - my family accepted my Arabic boyfriend but his mother was having none of it. Arranged a marriage for him over there and the stress of it broke us up.

It's not one sided.

I was also friends with a black guy who was delusional that I was his gf. His mother liked ME but not that I was white.
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Okay but lets be real, although this thread has focused on what seems to be an individuals obsession with "white" or blonde woman most of the sentiments here or online are fairly representative of the nation or world as a whole.

We are not post-racial. Bigotry and prejudice still exist. Black women and men and other dark skinned minorities still face obstacles that others do not.

The media and beauty industry still favor light skin and European features and looks. This is fairly commonly known. Good for you and your friends but what you describe is not the glass ceiling or closed doors that most people of color face on a daily basis.
Sorry but I have traveled throughout the US, the Caribbean and in Europe and North Africa, trust me, the vocal minority does not represent the opinions of most men in this world.
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 AM
 
11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10981
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I'm not sure why she thinks I'm bashing white women. I'm not. I just pointed out that many don't age so well.

Here's a pic of Kimberly Elise at the Esesnce festival from a few days ago. Kim Elise is 46 years old! This is getting creepy.



When is she going to start aging?
You didn't 'just point it out'. You're STILL cherry picking photos to prove your point - we get it.
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 AM
 
937 posts, read 915,562 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I didn't see that happening - this dude has an obsession with a certain look. No one bashed any ethnicity.
He was bashing the women in his own ethnic group.
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 AM
 
512 posts, read 450,732 times
Reputation: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sorry but I have traveled throughout the US, the Caribbean and in Europe and North Africa, trust me, the vocal minority does not represent the opinions of most men in this world.
Trust me, most white men and white women are not dating or marrying black women or men. There are census statistics for this, this is not rhetoric. The numbers are still very low, especially among the white college educated, so your personal experiences are not the norm.
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:47 AM
 
512 posts, read 450,732 times
Reputation: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
You are speaking for other people's taste, Why? who gave you that authority?
Who needs to give me authority? This is what this thread was about. The OP is focused on dating "white" woman and seems fairly obsessed with blonds at the moment. How is that speaking for other people's taste? It was written within this very thread by the actual person.
 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 AM
 
937 posts, read 915,562 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Trust me, most white men and white women are not dating or marrying black women or men. There are census statistics for this, this is not rhetoric. The numbers are still very low, especially among the white college educated, so your personal experiences are not the norm.
By and large, the majority of people from all racial/ethnic groups date and marry within their own racial/ethnic group.

The West Coast however has a greater proportion of IR marriages and dating than many other areas, so obviously people who live on the West Coast are going to have different experiences than those in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top