U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,526,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have been on this two year search for the perfect natural deodorant. Until this week, I had not found anything that could stand up to my active lifestyle of teaching yoga and dance classes, training in acrobatics and performing until the wee hours of the morning. I found The Crystal created moisture and after a few hours it did not work on me at all. Tom’s Deodorant mixed with my chemistry strangely and created an un pleasant smell. My husband’s Old Spice worked great, but I was left smelling like him and not like a woman. This week I have been using a lime as a deodorant. And it works! After my 4 classes Tuesday I still smelt fresh! It is so simply silly that nature had the answer the whole time.
Try it! Use a lemon or lime as a deodorant. After a shower, just slice a wedge and rub it on your skin. Allow it to dry until you put your clothes on (just to make sure the acid doesn’t affect your clothing.) And the best part about this is that it is suppose to “condition” your underarms to stop smelling bad.
Want to know how this works? Check out this link for more information: http://prevent-sweating.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-use-lemon-as-deodorant.html
Use a Lemon or Lime as a Deodorant - Plant Powered Living

Anyone try this? Does it work?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
I have tried coconut oil/baking soda. It worked well. But one time I had a reaction. Probably to the essential oils in the blend i used. But it is a cheap option. And moisturizing.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 AM

19 posts, read 42,223 times
I have heard that grapefruit skin can be used as deodorant.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I have very sensitive skin and can't use anything stronger than Ivory soap without developing a rash. Deodorants generally give me any itchy, irritating rash within a couple of days of using them. I tried everything from Speed Stick to Tom's and they all eventually had the same effect. My cousin told me about the crystal type salt deodorant and I have had no problems with it. I can use it daily without any ill effects and my wife can testify I do not suffer from B.O. Salt will naturally kill bacteria on contact (which is why it was used as a food preservative for thousands of years) and will also allow your skin to breathe and perspire as normal. I really have no idea what is in a lemon/lime that would do the same thing as effectively. After all, I have never heard of anyone preserving food in lime juice.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,575,358 times
One tip I have learned for dealing with under arm body odor that is so important, I realize it may not work for everyone, is to really scrub the area with a loufa or green scrubby pad intended for washing pots and pans and some decent soap. I have found if get enough soap and scrub it helps to removes the bacteria trapped in the hair. I also use a spray deodorant I have found at a health food store. It seems to work well. I just have had bad reactions to the aluminum and fragrances in most commercial deodorants.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,705,902 times
I saw this the other day - just a few days before I was scheduled for a mammogram so I thought I would try it. I used lemon for 3 days before and on the day of my appointment. I actually think it did help with odor but I found it left the skin sticky. Not as noticeable with a sleeve but I did not like the feeling.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,428,209 times
My friend is using this milk of magnesia concoction his "green" hipster gf read about. He uses it as an all body spray and claims it keeps him smelling fresh even after pick-up bball games.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM

862 posts, read 1,167,719 times
Baking soda works well and is free of harmful chemicals.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:06 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Baking soda works well and is free of harmful chemicals.
Adding coconut oil makes it spreadable.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,745,422 times
How does any of this kill the bacteria that causes odor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty