U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM

13,438 posts, read 15,046,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm serious here - since probably no woman wants to go from normal weight to obese, if she does, that means at some point she gave up on herself? What about giving up on relationships and career? I can't think of any highly successful obese woman. And yes, I know that thyroid disorder, medication, etc. can cause weight gain, but the chances of going from slim to obese due to that are almost zilch. I'm actually trying to get over the probably common perception that the typical obese woman doesn't care, but at some point she probably was neglecting herself.
Really?

Never heard of Oprah Winfrey? That's interesting.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 PM

72,695 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
I'm serious here - since probably no woman wants to go from normal weight to obese, if she does, that means at some point she gave up on herself? What about giving up on relationships and career? I can't think of any highly successful obese woman. And yes, I know that thyroid disorder, medication, etc. can cause weight gain, but the chances of going from slim to obese due to that are almost zilch. I'm actually trying to get over the probably common perception that the typical obese woman doesn't care, but at some point she probably was neglecting herself.
There are many reasons for obesity. Some cases do happen due to various severe hormone imbalances, and the medical establishment isn't always good at dealing with it. I don't know any women who have given up on themselves. I do know one seriously obese woman who's a US ambassador. That's pretty successful. And would you call Madeleine Albright obese, or just overweight? I'm really not sure what your point is, OP. Is there a reason you're fixated on obese women, and not all the obese men around?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:54 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,261,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
There are more choices than thin or obese. And, to a degree, the OP is correct. If one neglects their diet and exercise for whatever reason, obesity can easily be the outcome. I think that is what the OP is expressing. And, once the pounds keep adding up, they give up rather than educating themselves about the causes and solutions to a weight problem. Lifestyle change to be mindful of themselves rather than neglectful.
People with good genes don't have these problems.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:

Let's see: STRIKE ONE: you have limited your post (as usual) to "women" who in reality are NOT the only humans on the planet who have weight issues.

STRIKE TWO: you have no idea what steroids, chemotherapy, radiation and numerous other medications and medical procedures can do to one's body, hence tremendous weight gain within a matter of weeks.

STRIKE THREE: there is a MAJOR difference between "Thin AND Healthy" and just "thin", just because one appears thin does not mean they are healthy. Those who are thin actually have a higher risk of having "viscerol fat" around their organs which is worse than any "obese" human who has visible fat on their body but NONE around their organs.

STRIKE FOUR: just because this post is using my rules, what you have posted is completely one sided, close minded and very deragatory toward humanity in general and especially women.

I hope you eventually find a special someone (if you don't already have one) and I hope you show them everything you have posted on this forum..........especially this thread.

Oh, and I hope they NEVER have to take any medication or have any sort of traumatic medical procedure either. I have a feeling they will be doing those things without YOUR support because they just up and neglected themselves so much they got "obese" and you just can't stand that at all.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
People with good genes don't have these problems.

What exactly are "good" genes? Do you have an exact lineage these migrate from through the years?
Do you have any idea how "genes" actually work from one human to the next and from one generation to the next. Do you realize a family that has no history of Diabetes CAN have someone down the line develop Diabetes even though they are not obese, have "good" genes (according to your definition sort of), eat right, and exercise often.

Do you think that these "good" genes can be ordered online at Amazon? Serious?

Have some sort of clue about what you are posting before you post it, really, it puts you in a much better, more informed light.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Oprah struggles with weight. I'm sure she's considered obese on somebody's BMI chart. I'm not sure but I think she's considered successful

This thread is lame.
Not trying to be lame,but Oprah isn't married.
I think the op is talking about obese women being successful in their love lives?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 20 days ago)

10,298 posts, read 10,450,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not trying to be lame,but Oprah isn't married.
I think the op is talking about obese women being successful in their love lives?
He did mention careers and success, too.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM

72,695 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
He did mention careers and success, too.
Right, career was part of it. And Oprah is unmarried by choice. Her bf has wanted to marry her for ages.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,115,158 times
Too many people making assumptions about my post. I already know that thin doesn't automatically mean healthy. I used to be skinny-fat. I'm focusing on women because there isn't much of a taboo on male obesity (even though I personally think badly of fat men). It's interesting how quick people are to defend obese women. I doubt obese men would be defended. Maybe it is multi-factorial sometimes - depression combined with health problems and medication. Giving up after moderate weight gain - that theory makes sense to me. Some people operate as though if they can't look good, they might as well look terrible.

Madeleine Albright? Yes, a possibly obese highly successful woman. She looked prematurely old in the Clinton era, and I'm not really thinking of old women with this thread. My guess is she got that way gradually. Interestingly, her husband died in 1984. Maybe after that, her appearance became unimportant to her.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 PM

231 posts, read 242,624 times
there's so much bad information out there. Many foods that are advertised as healthy (nutri-grain bars, yogurt, whole grain bread, soy etc) are nutritional trainwrecks in reality. In addition, western culture, in particular the US, has a dangerous obsession with avoiding dietary fats & cholesterol. Apparently anything in america that is fat & cholesterol free is a health food...far from the truth. A fatty cut of unprocessed meat will always be more healthy than any cereal product.

I'm currently having issues with dairy, sugar, and wheat binges. This stuff is downright addicting. I'm glad I realize what I'm doing though. I try to follow the paleo diet as closely as possible but occasionally Ice cream and pizza is impossible to avoid.

As long as people in the media continue to feed the public BS our health will continue to deteriorate. In today's society health isn't really a personal choice. It's a mental battle you have to stay on top of. Most importantly you need to be able to weed out the BS (special K challenge). Real whole foods, protein, unprocessed fats and vegetables go a long way towards building a healthy lifestyle.

I think it's a little harsh to say that obese women gave up. They simply lost the battle. The world is a rough place and I don't blame them.

Last edited by andrewC7; 07-13-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or