U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,889,515 times

Advertisements

^ (Addendum to my post above) In commercial/residential painting you can be carrying buckets of paint (I think around 50 pounds) in each hand UP and DOWN stair cases. Then you have ladders and other material to carry around. If you're staining wood doors and wood trim for a new-build residential construction (condos etc.) you can end up carrying lots of doors around to line up to spray.

Hard labor (which I've done a lot of from tearing down diesel engines to carrying hot buckets of tar on a flat roofs) can chisel up the body. It can. Not that you don't have any fat people in construction. But even some of the fat men in trades like laying block and tearing up concrete are extraordinarily strong. I remember running into this one concrete guy that had a big belly but was powerfully built. The guy had huge forearms that you could tell were mostly muscle. I asked him how he got so big and he said, "Just doing this job for so many years."

You want to loose weight? Become a mason tender/laborer handling 4 masons at a time while they're using/laying 12 inch block. You'll loose weight.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not trying to be lame,but Oprah isn't married.
I think the op is talking about obese women being successful in their love lives?
I think the OP is talking through his hat out of ignorance. But fortunately, that can be fixed with just a little research,

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM

2,624 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You're "trying to get over the probably common perception ..."? Really? Everything else you've posted in this thread just confirms that you have a serious problem with "obese" women (and then you add that no, you think badly about overweight men as well, as if we are supposed to applaud?). You have no fat friends? Gee, I wonder why.

I don't choose my friends based on their weight. Good g-d.

Your only "obese" relatives died young or had something wrong with their brain. OK.

Or maybe not everyone in the world is as judgmental as you and would look at Madeleine Albright and immediately think of her weight? Seriously?

What a nasty, mean-spirited, pointless OP.
That applies more to the reply than to my posts.

Madeleine Albright is someone I've always thought of as ugly, not paying much attention to her weight. More importantly, my relative did not die young. Obesity probably did shorten his lifespan (almost all other relatives live longer than he did). Yeah, obesity kills, and yes (maybe more so for women than men) it often indicates something wrong upstairs.

Is something wrong with my attitude toward obese people? Maybe. Am I unusual that way? No. I've heard that most people are more likely to group with similar-looking folks. I almost never have met obese people my age in social settings. Much of my life has transpired before obesity became common, and maybe obese people are less social than others? The obese women, in and outside my age group, have tended to come across as irritable, not exactly friends material. Between depression, fatigue (sleep apnea), social stigma, etc., I can understand why.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
OP, how old are you? I ask only because it seems like on these boards that we get teenage/20-something guys who've never had a weight problem or have always been jocks with few outside responsibilities passing judgment on the bodies of middle-aged women who are often mothers or pre-menopausal. Saying that pregnant women gain weight out of laziness just shows a lack of understanding of hormones and that of a profound physical and emotional change in a woman's body. Also, women with families tend to put themselves and their needs last, so they often take care of everyone else's needs first, and may be likely to self-medicate with food.
I'm not that young. Also, I didn't say "that pregnant women gain weight out of laziness," although there are some that do.

If the (self-flattering) "women with families [putting] themselves last" statement often is true, then what about putting their husbands first? The typical man hates seeing his wife get fat. I'm more inclined to believe that statement is true for single moms (as Kirstie Alley was when first becoming obese). And being obese is not good role-modeling for children.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm not that young. Also, I didn't say "that pregnant women gain weight out of laziness," although there are some that do.

If the (self-flattering) "women with families [putting] themselves last" statement often is true, then what about putting their husbands first? The typical man hates seeing his wife get fat. I'm more inclined to believe that statement is true for single moms (as Kirstie Alley was when first becoming obese). And being obese is not good role-modeling for children.

Do you see the dilemma you have created here? How can she put herself last and NOT have her husband be first? If she is tending to everything around the house, with the children, with him, meals, groceries, laundry, cleaning, actvities.........how does she have time to "make sure that she is.....perfect for her husband" as well? How about being perfet for HERSELF? How about the husband helping out? How about the husband NOT being part of the good ole beer belly boys club and looking "perfect" for HER?...........Excuse me while I go and throw up now.......

SOME (not ALL) men do NOTHING around the house or with the children yet expect it all to be done by their wives AND wear victoria's secret as well?

Seriously, how long has it been since you have been part of the real world on the planet earth?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Some men are like that. Some men are not. If he helps out and stays in shape and she's becoming obese (and he doesn't like it), then she's putting the kids first and neglecting her husband, leading me to think she doesn't care much about him anymore. Running a household isn't much of an excuse for a woman to become obese, although it's closer to one if it's single mom with a full-time job.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Quote:

I am a pretty "typical" guy. I realize just about everyone considers themselves to be the average because people tend to normalize everything to themselves. Still I am confident if an outsider were to do a detailed assessment of me and my lifestyle they would conclude I am an average middle-class American. And I say all this because when you make statements like "the typical man hates seeing his wife get fat" you really are painting with too broad a brush (i.e. define "typical") as well as using absolutes (use of the word "hates.") FWIW, this typical man's wife has gained significant weight since we've been married and I adore her more now than ever before. Sure, I find big girls attractive. But more importantly, I find my wife attractive. I did when we met, I did when she was at her heaviest, and I will if/when she slims down. Believe it or not, some men actually appreciate their wives for more than just her appearance.

Quote:
Some men are like that. Some men are not. If he helps out and stays in shape and she's becoming obese (and he doesn't like it), then she's putting the kids first and neglecting her husband, leading me to think she doesn't care much about him anymore. Running a household isn't much of an excuse for a woman to become obese, although it's closer to one if it's single mom with a full-time job.
It's easy to shape the discussion and hypothetical scenarios however you need to in order to support your point of view. Since you claim to not know many obese people, I question that you are even qualified to speak intelligently on the subject because you are speculating on an unknown. You've admitted this yourself. Furthermore, if you are not close to any such couple, why trouble yourself over it? If a man has a wife who is steadily gaining weight and he doesn't like it, it is his issue to address. He can address it by encouraging lifestyle changes (which are often much harder than they sound) or he can grow to accept it. Neither choice, however, affects you.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 PM

The average American married person is not fat because they have zero time to sit down. They sit down too damn much is the problem. They sit in their car, sit at their job at work, then sit when they get home.

And I don't know how some of you were raised but I did my own damn laundry at some point as a kid and did chores around the house.

I have a married friend and he hits the gym frequently. Contra most these Americans' in their 20s or teens today.

It's why so many cops are obese contra firefighters. I've seen one female Milwaukee cop I swear must have been 300 lbs. She was about 5'6" maybe. The other cop by her was male and well over 6 feet tall and fat as hell too. Both were slowly wobbling around ticketing some guy in a car like getting out of their squad car was the equivalent of running a triathlon.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Indeed I have known very few obese people. However, I've read a book on marital weight gain (Weight, Sex, and Marriage), at least one study (international) on partner disapproval of weight gain (maybe it's not as strong in black men - I'll have to look for the data again), and many threads across the Internet where in-relationship weight gain was a couples problem. From this thread, I'm hoping to know if I can look at a woman and somewhat accurately predict her attitude toward men from her size. It's better to ask here than just assume she doesn't give a darn about that, her career, and herself.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Without having read her other posts in the thread, this woman seems to have put on muscle and exercise rather than just be fat. Post #59: What do guys think of muscle-y women?

Quote:
As a single, muscular woman and former competitor, I get a full range of reaction from males and females. I get a lot of positive feedback wherever I go, be it the grocery store or the gas station, especially if I'm with my kids since many people assume motherhood and fitness aren't compatible. I get a few guys that tell me my arms are bigger than theirs...
Quote:
On the flip side, I'm not attracted to men without muscle...
Plus, my brother and his wife have three kids, they both work jobs, and they both spent a lot of time at one point exercising so she could lose weight and he could put on muscle mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or