U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,124,903 times

Advertisements

I've just found a relevant survey, maybe representative or maybe not. However, it fails to specifically ask about medical issues

Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM

12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Some men are like that. Some men are not. If he helps out and stays in shape and she's becoming obese (and he doesn't like it), then she's putting the kids first and neglecting her husband, leading me to think she doesn't care much about him anymore. Running a household isn't much of an excuse for a woman to become obese, although it's closer to one if it's single mom with a full-time job.
Like a married mom wouldn't also have a full time job? And what's with the comment about if he "helps out." HELPS OUT? It's his house and his kids too. Why should he just be HELPING OUT?

Your comment about if she gains weight that's "neglecting her husband" and means she doesn't care about him anymore is just ridiculous.

You have a lot to learn. I also have a feeling karma is going to teach you some lessons along the way.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,281,999 times
Default I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm serious here - since probably no woman wants to go from normal weight to obese, if she does, that means at some point she gave up on herself? What about giving up on relationships and career? I can't think of any highly successful obese woman. And yes, I know that thyroid disorder, medication, etc. can cause weight gain, but the chances of going from slim to obese due to that are almost zilch. I'm actually trying to get over the probably common perception that the typical obese woman doesn't care, but at some point she probably was neglecting herself.
I think it's due to the weight sneaking up on a person and by the time it gets to a point where something needs to be done to prevent it from going to Obese stage, the person doesn't have time allotted in her schedule or doesn't have the self-discipline and willingness to work hard enough in addition on cutting back on eating so much/wrong foods to bring the weight back down.

P.S - most of the "medical" excuses you hear from fat people are just that -- EXCUSES.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:46 PM

217 posts, read 303,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I think it's due to the weight sneaking up on a person and by the time it gets to a point where something needs to be done to prevent it from going to Obese stage, the person doesn't have time allotted in her schedule or doesn't have the self-discipline and willingness to work hard enough in addition on cutting back on eating so much/wrong foods to bring the weight back down.

P.S - most of the "medical" excuses you hear from fat people are just that -- EXCUSES.

Yeah, I think you're right. I only know one really obese person. She is only in her early 50's, but can't reach to buckle her own shoes and now rides a wheelchair. She built an elevator in her house.

It is just what you said-- the weight slowly sneaking up and no willpower/self discipline. When she was young, she was a beauty...having kids was the start of a little bit of weight gain. Then overall depression, no will, horrid diet, sedentary lifestyle, etc... She was always a homemaker.

dittio on the medical "excuses".

Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,372,180 times
Wow! Lots of ignorance seeping out of the woodwork from those who seem to just want to argue. Pity!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 PM

769 posts, read 795,907 times
Hmm..let's see. Taking steriods due to a horrible MRSA infection that almost removed my right leg in 2000. Up 80 lbs in no time. Had terrible pregnancy that put my blood pressure through the roof - up 40 lbs. There is 120 lbs in 2 years both out of my control. I lost the weight without surgery and fight it daily. I take steriods for asthma and that is only when I need it. I don't enjoy having to watch every morsel of food that goes in my mouth. Eating salad when everyone eats junk. spending time in the gym after working a 10 hour day.

Don't judge a book by it's cover or think just because someone is obese that they are lazy or giving up.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:

I hope you never get an illness that requires you to take meds that make you gain weight or you get sick.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,281,999 times
Default I said most

Horsechick, if you re-read what I posted it reads "most", not all. I realize there are some people who legitimately gained a lot of weight due to their medication. Steroids are one but there are some psycho-tropic medications that do as well. However, every fat woman I know uses "medication" as an excuse yet they eat too much of the wrong foods and do not consistently exercise. They just hide behind the excuses. If the shoe doesn't fit you then please don't try to force it on your feet and complain that it hurts. Maybe it hurts because it doesn't fit you? Nevertheless I still stand behind what I said regarding "most".

Old 07-14-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Horsechick, if you re-read what I posted it reads "most", not all. I realize there are some people who legitimately gained a lot of weight due to their medication. Steroids are one but there are some psycho-tropic medications that do as well. However, every fat woman I know uses "medication" as an excuse yet they eat too much of the wrong foods and do not consistently exercise. They just hide behind the excuses. If the shoe doesn't fit you then please don't try to force it on your feet and complain that it hurts. Maybe it hurts because it doesn't fit you? Nevertheless I still stand behind what I said regarding "most".
No it doesn't fit me and I am no longer obese but I have to work at it DAILY.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,124,903 times
Mod cut: Off topic.

As for weight gain, I don't see how gradually, not unwillingly heading toward obesity respects a husband if he objects to it (unless she's woefully unaware that many men can hardly control their level of physical attraction). I know that most women don't want to feel like pretty objects to those who 'love' them, but to me her behavior indicates she's been losing interest in him. Possibly in many cases it's pregnancy-related hormones changes (and sleep loss from taking care of an infant) causing both weight gain and loss of sexual interest, but still that can be battled by a woman if she so chooses. Just a friendly, wacky passing thought: maybe the need for general touch that was being satisfied by the man (and was leading to sex) dwindles with handling of a baby.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or