U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,537,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Snip.

As for weight gain, I don't see how gradually, not unwillingly heading toward obesity respects a husband if he objects to it (unless she's woefully unaware that many men can hardly control their level of physical attraction). I know that most women don't want to feel like pretty objects to those who 'love' them, but to me her behavior indicates she's been losing interest in him. Possibly in many cases it's pregnancy-related hormones changes (and sleep loss from taking care of an infant) causing both weight gain and loss of sexual interest, but still that can be battled by a woman if she so chooses. Just a friendly, wacky passing thought: maybe the need for general touch that was being satisfied by the man (and was leading to sex) dwindles with handling of a baby.
I seriously am of the belief that you have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

You think that a person gradually gaining weight (unwillingly) is disrespectful to a husband if he objects to it?

I don't think anyone really willingly gains unwanted weight. When a woman gains weight, it does not mean that she has lost interest in her husband.

I have no idea where you are coming up with so much of the things you are posting. I get the sense that you have much to learn in love and in life.

A woman can choose to battle hormone changes and sleep loss due to care of an infant? Well, I guess the infants father could get up and take care of the child as well, there is one battle taken care of.

Peoples bodies and minds are not as cut and dry as you would like to believe they are or black and white as you seem to think they are.

When people are using the 'most' statistic for the amount of people who (don't) have weight gain due to medication I would like to see a link. Where does most fall in the percentage?

I have taken an anti-convulsant since about age 12 which unfortunately has weight gain as a side effect. I gained probably about 60 lbs within a couple of years of starting it. I had a child at 20 and I didn't gain a lot of weight, but I still had the weight gain from the medication. Starting the next year I started taking care of my father who passed away not long after, and then about a year later, I had my second child.

I was a young married woman with 2 young children, there was no time to skip to the gym. Who was going to take care of my kids? Not my ex husband. My mom and gma also were sick and my mom was terminal and I took care of them as well.

Some peoples lives just aren't as perfect as yours, op, and that is so very unfortunate. Throughout the years more and more different medicines added. By the time I was 32, I was dx with Rheumatoid Arthritis and FM amongst my other issues and back and forth on and off all of these different meds, with steroids being the base.

I know I am not the only one in the world that things like this have happened to.

Now we have more weight gain from the steroids but I was able to lose a lot of weight once I was separated from my ex husband......

I take chemotherapy every week and one would think that it would cause me to lose weight, but it doesn't. I have all over joint pain and some days I cannot walk. This does not make exercise easy.

My dr says don't push it. If all you can do is 30 seconds pain free, thats all you do.

Now, I know I can lose weight, because I have done it before. Back then I was being treated appropriately for my RA/FM. I was not for a few years and my joints worsened.

You probably think I overeat, right? nope.

This is lunch:

Hummus, either with pita chips or carrots, strawberries, grapes, and a small piece of cheese.

For breakfast I either have oatmeal or some plain Greek yogurt with blueberries and strawberries mixed in.

A normal dinner for me is a very very very large salad and about a half of a chicken breast(not fried).

I did used to drink about 4-5 sodas a week, but I have stopped drinking them all together. I also used to have a Starbucks a few times a week fully loaded. Now I have 1-2 a week and I get skim milk with no whip, only foam.

I really do not think that my caloric intake is very high at all. I range between 900-1200 or so per day

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 PM

128 posts, read 136,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Let's see: STRIKE ONE: you have limited your post (as usual) to "women" who in reality are NOT the only humans on the planet who have weight issues.

STRIKE TWO: you have no idea what steroids, chemotherapy, radiation and numerous other medications and medical procedures can do to one's body, hence tremendous weight gain within a matter of weeks.

STRIKE THREE: there is a MAJOR difference between "Thin AND Healthy" and just "thin", just because one appears thin does not mean they are healthy. Those who are thin actually have a higher risk of having "viscerol fat" around their organs which is worse than any "obese" human who has visible fat on their body but NONE around their organs.

STRIKE FOUR: just because this post is using my rules, what you have posted is completely one sided, close minded and very deragatory toward humanity in general and especially women.

I hope you eventually find a special someone (if you don't already have one) and I hope you show them everything you have posted on this forum..........especially this thread.

Oh, and I hope they NEVER have to take any medication or have any sort of traumatic medical procedure either. I have a feeling they will be doing those things without YOUR support because they just up and neglected themselves so much they got "obese" and you just can't stand that at all.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,345,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
I hope you never get an illness that requires you to take meds that make you gain weight or you get sick.
Actually, I hope s/he does. It just might be a humbling and teaching experience which obviously is badly needed.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:25 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,252,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm serious here - since probably no woman wants to go from normal weight to obese, if she does, that means at some point she gave up on herself? What about giving up on relationships and career? I can't think of any highly successful obese woman. And yes, I know that thyroid disorder, medication, etc. can cause weight gain, but the chances of going from slim to obese due to that are almost zilch. I'm actually trying to get over the probably common perception that the typical obese woman doesn't care, but at some point she probably was neglecting herself.
With regard to your statement about medications not resulting in weight gain, I'm afraid you are mistaken. In fact one of the PRIMARY causes of weight gain in this country are the poisons that we are putting into our body in the form of medications and food additives.

Most people are aware that the Liver is the organ in our body that deals with purifying the blood. What most people don't realize is that when our liver encounters a foreign substance, be that a poison, a preservative or any other unnatural food additive, the way that it protects the body is to bind that poison with body fat. The liver actually SECRETES a chemical that makes you hungry so that you will eat more and then actually surrounds the poison on a MOLLECULAR level with fat to protect the body from being harmed or damaged from that chemical. It then packs that fat cell away. The reason that people are obese these days, to the extent that they are, is because of the UNBELIEVABLE amount of food additives that are in processed foods that our liver is protecting us from, *but* it also goes for medications as well, since they really are nothing more than chemical poisons too.

Back when I was younger I made the big mistake of using Depo Provera as my birth control of choice. One of the side effects was weight gain! Sure enough I gained about 5 pounds each time I got a shot (one every three months for three years). I did not know why I was more hungry and why the weight that I normally would lose EFFORTLESSLY was impossible to get rid of. I am still packing more than 40 pounds around, thanks to that horrible mistake.

Today, more than ever before people are eating more processed foods *and* taking more prescription medications. This is all contributing to the obesity level. It has very little to do with "giving up" on yourself.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,345,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I seriously am of the belief that you have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

You think that a person gradually gaining weight (unwillingly) is disrespectful to a husband if he objects to it?

I don't think anyone really willingly gains unwanted weight. When a woman gains weight, it does not mean that she has lost interest in her husband.

I have no idea where you are coming up with so much of the things you are posting. I get the sense that you have much to learn in love and in life.

A woman can choose to battle hormone changes and sleep loss due to care of an infant? Well, I guess the infants father could get up and take care of the child as well, there is one battle taken care of.

Peoples bodies and minds are not as cut and dry as you would like to believe they are or black and white as you seem to think they are.

When people are using the 'most' statistic for the amount of people who (don't) have weight gain due to medication I would like to see a link. Where does most fall in the percentage?

I have taken an anti-convulsant since about age 12 which unfortunately has weight gain as a side effect. I gained probably about 60 lbs within a couple of years of starting it. I had a child at 20 and I didn't gain a lot of weight, but I still had the weight gain from the medication. Starting the next year I started taking care of my father who passed away not long after, and then about a year later, I had my second child.

I was a young married woman with 2 young children, there was no time to skip to the gym. Who was going to take care of my kids? Not my ex husband. My mom and gma also were sick and my mom was terminal and I took care of them as well.

Some peoples lives just aren't as perfect as yours, op, and that is so very unfortunate. Throughout the years more and more different medicines added. By the time I was 32, I was dx with Rheumatoid Arthritis and FM amongst my other issues and back and forth on and off all of these different meds, with steroids being the base.

I know I am not the only one in the world that things like this have happened to.

Now we have more weight gain from the steroids but I was able to lose a lot of weight once I was separated from my ex husband......

I take chemotherapy every week and one would think that it would cause me to lose weight, but it doesn't. I have all over joint pain and some days I cannot walk. This does not make exercise easy.

My dr says don't push it. If all you can do is 30 seconds pain free, thats all you do.

Now, I know I can lose weight, because I have done it before. Back then I was being treated appropriately for my RA/FM. I was not for a few years and my joints worsened.

You probably think I overeat, right? nope.

This is lunch:

Hummus, either with pita chips or carrots, strawberries, grapes, and a small piece of cheese.

For breakfast I either have oatmeal or some plain Greek yogurt with blueberries and strawberries mixed in.

A normal dinner for me is a very very very large salad and about a half of a chicken breast(not fried).

I did used to drink about 4-5 sodas a week, but I have stopped drinking them all together. I also used to have a Starbucks a few times a week fully loaded. Now I have 1-2 a week and I get skim milk with no whip, only foam.

I really do not think that my caloric intake is very high at all. I range between 900-1200 or so per day
For what it's worth, if anything, I admire you.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,537,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
For what it's worth, if anything, I admire you.
Thank you, Curmudgeon.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:46 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,434,760 times
50 Fat Celebrities - NYPOST.com

Bet they make more than you. End thread.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 21 days ago)

10,300 posts, read 10,457,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
P.S - most of the "medical" excuses you hear from fat people are just that -- EXCUSES.
Please either prove this statement to be true or consider retracting it.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,891,275 times
Some overweight women can be attractive looking. At least to those men that can find some of them attractive.

Although, it's better to look like Ana Ortiz.

Being fat is like being a drunk or heroin addict. It's a tough thing to break.

But like some guy in another thread said to some other guy, and I paraphrase, "If you're fat that's your problem and your fault." He was chastising the guy and saying no woman needs to be attracted to fat men, who evidently are to undisciplined to exercise and lose weight.

The majority of overweight Americans are physically lazy. And obesity has even started affecting American children.

Plenty of Brazilian women on the beaches of Rio are mothers and have bodies of goddesses, so, motherhood alone is not the sustained cause of being fat. Just like being a mother is not the reason she stays a drunk.

Actually, Halle Berry has children.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 21 days ago)

10,300 posts, read 10,457,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post

The majority of overweight Americans are physically lazy. And obesity has even started affecting American children.
I don't buy this, not for a minute. We're talking about a pretty large group of people here, so anytime you start painting with a broad brush your statements lose a lot of accuracy. Some overweight people are lazy, I have no doubt about it. But when you start trying to quantify without data, your credibility suffers. This is why I asked Klassyhk to either back up or retract his/her statement quoted just a few posts above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or